Tablet shoppers who don't want an iPad

I think the iPad will soon have a serious competitor. Reports suggest that Amazon will release a tablet of its own in the fourth quarter, though I don't think they've confirmed that themselves. Speculation is that it will be of the smaller variety (i.e. have a 7" screen) and that they will offer it at a fairly low price. My guess is, and others are predicting, that Amazon could have immediate success where most others have struggled.

Amazon has demonstrated that it is willing to essentially give hardware away in order to create vehicles through which it can sell content, and its shown that it can succeed with that model. It wouldn't surprise me if they did much the same with tablets and focused a lot of effort on selling content (e.g. apps, music, books, magazines, video) to tablets through their own store.

At any rate, if you are in the market for, but not time-pressed about, a tablet, this may be something to consider. I'm sure you can use Google to find out what is being said about the possibility of an Amazon tablet in the near term.

Last edited:

BigSlam123b

Only happy When It Rains
Amazon's tablet is more a glorified e-reader than a tablet. It will be direct competition for the Nook color more than it is for the iPad or Android tablets. It will only have access to the Amazon Appstore and will not allow for sideloading of apps. The price point is solid for what it is but it is not a tablet competitor.

somdfunguy

not impressed
It will be years before there is a serious competitor (as in sales numbers.) Android is ruined by the tablet OEMs, Windows 8 looks great but is two years away from mainstream and thus can't be compared to today's iPad, BB and webOS are dead.

I do think that for 80% of the market other tablets fit the consumer needs. I love the HP Touchpad, it does things that my iPad cannot do, but it is not as good overall as my iPad. Until someone comes out with a competing product at a lower price with mass appeal iPad will reign supreme. Amazon has the best shot with the tie in to Amazon Prime (videos), MP3 store, App Store, and Kindle store. Competition is great and ensures the best overall products.

Last edited:

chess

low 5... hi 5......
i was against Apple products for a while, until I picked up my Ipad2....

Thing freaking rocks..

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
I think the Android tablets will put up a good fight against current and future iPads. Has anyone messed with a Playbook yet?

B

BET

Thing freaking rocks..

:yeahthat: I love the iPad2's user interface!!! I'm so impressed my next phone will be the iPhone and will seriously consider a Mac for my next computer (even if it costs 2Xs as much).

Amazon's tablet is more a glorified e-reader than a tablet. It will be direct competition for the Nook color more than it is for the iPad or Android tablets. It will only have access to the Amazon Appstore and will not allow for sideloading of apps. The price point is solid for what it is but it is not a tablet competitor.

Do you think that allowing for sideloading of apps is what defines something as being a tablet? The device (i.e. the iPad) that defines the product class and dominates the market doesn't allow for sideloading of apps, as I understand you to mean that functionality. The functionality of the (anticipated) Amazon device may not match the iPad's, but it will, in all likelihood, be regarded by the market and market analysts as a tablet - and it may well be the first one to sell in enough volume to be considered a real market competitor for the iPad.

It will be years before there is a serious competitor (as in sales numbers.) Android is ruined by the tablet OEMs, Windows 8 looks great but is two years away from mainstream and thus can't be compared to today's iPad, BB and webOS are dead.

I do think that for 80% of the market other tablets fit the consumer needs. I love the HP Touchpad, it does things that my iPad cannot do, but it is not as good overall as my iPad. Until someone comes out with a competing product at a lower price with mass appeal iPad will reign supreme. Amazon has the best shot with the tie in to Amazon Prime (videos), MP3 store, App Store, and Kindle store. Competition is great and ensures the best overall products.

When I say serious competitor, I don't mean one that has sales volume equivalent to or close to equivalent to that of the iPad. I just mean one that has meaningful sales volume, though still significantly below that of the iPad - enough that it might actually be taking some measurable amount of sales away from the iPad. It wouldn't surprise me to see a new Amazon tablet sell in the millions of units per quarter (2, 3 or 4?) from the very beginning, whereas 10 million plus iPads will probably be sold this quarter. All of the rest of the entrants into the tablet market have struggled to get any traction at all (with the possible exception of Samsung, which is still an order of magnitude behind the iPad in terms of sales volume).

And yes, competition is great. And yes, the iPad will dominate this market for quite a while.

I think the Android tablets will put up a good fight against current and future iPads. Has anyone messed with a Playbook yet?

Eventually, but they haven't been able to thus far. The metrics remain heavily in favor of Apple.

As for the Playbook, I had hopes that it might find some success with enterprise customers, but it appears that it is not finding much. The shipments reported by RIMM for this past quarter were terrible.

Thing freaking rocks..

:yeahthat: I love the iPad2's user interface!!! I'm so impressed my next phone will be the iPhone and will seriously consider a Mac for my next computer (even if it costs 2Xs as much).

I believe this is a building theme. I think that increasing Mac sells are being driven in part by a back feed of sorts, where non-traditional Apple customers that have bought iPhones or iPads are finding that they love the way Apple does things and the way their devices interface with their owners, and are then considering buying Macs.

Warron

I have an iphone, an ipad, and a mac computer and they are all mediocre. I would never buy a mac to replace my "real" computer.

I use the mac mini to watch hulu and downloaded movies on my large screen tv. Its small and fits easily in my tv stand. Otherwise, I don't even have my email set up on it.

Whatever you like, just don't believe the crap that apple stuff is trouble free. I've had problems with all 4 (I also have a apple router) of my apple devices. I likely will not buy an iphone or ipad again when it comes time to replace the current ones. Not unless big changes occur.

Last edited:

ylexot

Super Genius
I really don't see the new Amazon "tablet" being anything special. From what I have read, it's not much different from the Nook Color...which there are rumors of a new version coming out too.

dgates80

Land of the lost

Thing freaking rocks..

Not having flash really sucks though. I use the iPad a lot but from time to time I have to gp visit a site on my pc because the site does not work well on the iPad. Apple needs to get off their high horse on this one.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Not having flash really sucks though. I use the iPad a lot but from time to time I have to gp visit a site on my pc because the site does not work well on the iPad. Apple needs to get off their high horse on this one.

yep not supporting flash will be the ultimate downfall of the ipad. it really sucks when I am using my ipad then have to grab my laptop to look at certain websites.

PrepH4U

I think you can just buy the flash app if needed, check your app store. :shrug: