Tackle Box broken into...guns stolen

glhs837

Power with Control
I have not read this entire thread, but only a few posts towards the end. Why do people expect the owner of a business to fortify it like Fort Knox. The guy has a locking front door, a security system, and an insurance policy. What more is needed? If the owner is willing to pay the insurance premiums and the 24hr monitoring service, he should not have to do any more to protect his business. Isn't the thief the criminal in this situation?

Fort Knox? Who suggested that? What is he required or should be legally required to have? Just what you say. People, me included, are saying that perhaps better internal security measures might reduce the numbers of guns that get taken. Nobody is saying the owners a criminal.

TreeRat

Always a Good Target
You dont understand the serious responsibiity that comes with gun ownership.

I have a house, a security system, and I pay for homeowners insurance including liability. If I leave a firearm unsecured in the home and a couple kids break in (criminals right), steals said firearm, and it is used in a murder just days later............you think I've done due dligence?

TR

bulldog

You dont understand the serious responsibiity that comes with gun ownership.

I have a house, a security system, and I pay for homeowners insurance including liability. If I leave a firearm unsecured in the home and a couple kids break in (criminals right), steals said firearm, and it is used in a murder just days later............you think I've done due dligence?
TR

Nope, because you obviously did not train your dog to attack them before they got to your gun.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Last edited:

JosephIV

I don't have a personal beef with the owner of the Tackle Box, but this seems ridiculous since it isn't the first time. I know that a different FFL dealer (mainly does transfers) in SOMD has steel rebar sunk into walls of his building and the blocks are filled with cement. Don't know if that is a personal choice or building code but it sounds like a great way to avoid this type of problem. Others had suggestions that I agree with.

1) Light the lot and rear of the building with bright lights on polls.

2) Have an alarm that alerts Police. - Apparently they do.

3) Get a BIG safe that bolts into the floor and lock the handguns up every night.

4) Assess what you've been doing and change your ways. You're doing the community a disservice when you allow guns to be taken onto the streets to be used in crimes. If it costs you 40k in rennovations to better secure your building it's worth it. It beats someone losing their life (again) and beats a possible lawsuit for negligence. I wouldn't support such a lawsuit, but I'm sure we can find others who would.

Nothing is burglar or "foolproof" but the responsibility to store firearms in a safe and secure manner rests on the owner of the firearm. In this case it's the Tackle Box. If the lowlifes dragged a 900 lb safe out of there that was bolted to the floor you can shrug and say "It couldn't be stopped". Such is not the case.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have not read this entire thread, but only a few posts towards the end. Why do people expect the owner of a business to fortify it like Fort Knox. The guy has a locking front door, a security system, and an insurance policy. What more is needed? If the owner is willing to pay the insurance premiums and the 24hr monitoring service, he should not have to do any more to protect his business. Isn't the thief the criminal in this situation?

If all he sold was bait and tackle doing the minimum would be acceptable. When he is handling weapons and ammunition his los now posses a risk to the community. He needs to do more.

MMDad

Lem Putt
One would have to wonder.

:coffee:

Upon further investigation, however, I have found old threads and news stories that clearly support the notion that somebody (Ken) is being unreasonably hard-headed about the securing of at least all the handguns...if in fact they are/were still as acessible as they were in 2008, for example:

http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/142221-tackle-box-gun-cabinet-cleaned-out-burglary.html

That's what I'm recalling and why I'm frustrated that it happened again. I'm not calling for drastic measures, just step it up a notch to be a less tempting target.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Fort Knox? Who suggested that? What is he required or should be legally required to have? Just what you say. People, me included, are saying that perhaps better internal security measures might reduce the numbers of guns that get taken. Nobody is saying the owners a criminal.

I think most of us have a common sense approach, hell, it doesn't even require a safe to upgrade the protection. Maybe just a change to the display case or the area in which the case is located.
Use those pull down grates to isolate the cases
Use roll away covers (that lock) to protect the case.

One or both would slow up the theif. That's all he needs to do, slow up the theif.
Hell, just add a dog.
Combinations of inexpensive layers could go a long way in preventing thefts.