Taking care of disabled spouse

snowygirl

Anyone here take care of a disabled spouse at home? My husband is disabled and can’t walk. I need help with him but feel bad about asking for help. Has anyone used a caregiver, even though you were home and were able to take care of the person? Who can I call and get help from? A social worker? Office of the aging? He’s almost 60. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My mother did. She used a service and a private caregiver, who was an absolute angel.

Where are you located?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Best of luck with all the challenges you will have to face with your current situation.

limblips

What prevents him from walking? Many disease organizations have programs for people suffering from their particular disease. is his disability work related? Congenital? I certainly hope you have reached out to Social Security for SSDI.

snowygirl

What prevents him from walking? Many disease organizations have programs for people suffering from their particular disease. is his disability work related? Congenital? I certainly hope you have reached out to Social Security for SSDI.
He has social security disability . He’s been sick for a while now but it’s gotten worse to where I need the help. He has blood clots in his legs and lungs and there are other things that is going on with him.

limblips

He has social security disability . He’s been sick for a while now but it’s gotten worse to where I need the help. He has blood clots in his legs and lungs and there are other things that is going on
Medicaid seems like a possibility. In some circumstances they will pay or help with in-home care. Maybe you should get a disability lawyer or at least visit a legal aid group.

Grumpy

Medicaid seems like a possibility. In some circumstances they will pay or help with in-home care.

Help, just a little. Until you have been in that situation, you have no idea of how daunting it is. The help that is provided in-house at 30, 40 an hour is typically baby sitters, finding a good one is like looking for a pin in a haystack. I have no good answers for the original poster, been there, done that..and dealing with situations like this is horrendous.

black dog

Free America
I would definitely give VA a call or visit, you will most likely need his discharge papers "DD214" he will know what that is.... Good Luck with your search....

I thought this was a thread from Super Shoes... lol...

limblips

Help, just a little. Until you have been in that situation, you have no idea of how daunting it is. The help that is provided in-house at 30, 40 an hour is typically baby sitters, finding a good one is like looking for a pin in a haystack. I have no good answers for the original poster, been there, done that..and dealing with situations like this is horrendous.
Mother advanced Parkinson's, father double amputee from knees down. Been there too.