tales from Europe...

R

rdonthehd

Well, vraiblonde wanted to know some about my trip. I have lots of fun pictures on my homepage : www.geocities.com/vmwillis1972 (you may need to copy and paste the address to your browser, but well worth the trouble, I think)
Here is a bit I wrote after I finished my work at the Buddhist center in Todmorden England (just north of Manchester). Enjoy!
The day was warm, clear and sunny. Unusual for England, but this was no usual day. I boarded the train in Todmorden, waived good bye to my new friend, Martin, and was whisked away to Leeds. From Leeds I was to go to Stevenage and then to Cambridge where my friend, Jeff, would pick me up and take me home. However, I've learned that the trains are not as reliable as they appear. Once I arrived in Stevenage, I began looking for the platform for Cambridge and could not find one. I did find the information desk. The gentleman there explained, rather nonchalantly, that my train had been cancelled. I was to board the next train to Royston and a bus would be there to take all passengers on to Cambridge. "Cheers" he said when I thanked him. I suppose that means thanks and have a good day. From that moment I was not having a good day. He's lucky I had just come from a Buddhist center.
So on the train I go. A young guy a few seats ahead of me was nice enough to let me use his cel phone (or mo-bile as the Brits call it). I called Jeff to tell him the news. "Well that's the British rail system for you. Ok, I'll be waiting." Upon arriving in Royston, I followed the crowd to the buses. A fair skinned woman with blonde cornrows in her hair approached us and said something about going to Cambridge. I did not understand her accent, but we all boarded the bus (or coach, as the cornrowed woman called it).
The bus driver drove straight to Cambridge, not making any other stops. As we passed a pub called "The Spread Eagle", a young woman asked the bus driver if it was possible to drop people off along the way to the rail station. The bus driver, a rather tough looking older man wearing Harley Davidson suspenders, glanced quickly at her then back at the road. "Is that where the train stops?" he asked. When she said no, he replied "Terribly sorry then, 'fraid I can't."
Jeff was at the rail station driving in circles when the bus arrived. For a moment during the trip I felt a bit like Phileas Fogg on his "Around the World in 80 days" journey as I hopped from scheduled train to unscheduled bus and into a waiting automobile. Alas, my adventure so far has only taken me across the English coutryside!
OTHER THINGS I'VE LEARNED WHILE IN ENGLAND SO FAR --
Talking to people here is like the martians from the movie "Mars Attacks" using the translator machine. The words are there, but they don't mean the same. Most recently I've learned the following words:
Free house - this is a pub that serves all kinds of beer, not just the brand that the brewery has.
proper chippy - what to call a restaurant that serves good fish and chips
candy floss - what they call cotton candy
boot - the trunk of the car
hoover up - this means to vacuum the carpet
courgette - what the French and English call a zucchini
brown sauce - this condiment tastes like A-1 steak sauce and is mostly used on chips (fries)

From taking my many walks, I've learned that there are no wild animals to fear while strolling on foot paths. Unless, of course, the foot path ends at a pub; then there is the occasional wild football fan. Just offer to buy him a pint and you'll be fine.
If you are ever in a crowded room and wish for a cup of tea, just yell "Gladys!" and an old hunched over woman will pop up and exclaim, "Eh? You want a cup of tea?". Apparently all tea cart ladies' names are either Gladys, Edna or Bethel.
There is no ice in England. I learned this from my last visit when I asked for ice in order to cool my cup of boiling tea. I remember the woman (probably named Bethel) looked at me as if I had just asked her to polish my shoes with her tongue. "Ice? We have milk!" she told me. So I've learned to take milk in my tea and drink my soda warm. I recently met a woman, who on that day had stubbed her pinky toe while walking through a doorway. Since there was no ice to keep the swelling down, her toe soon became the size of a small courgette and she had to be taken to the doctor. I firmly believe that if ice had been available, we could have saved her toe.
My last discovery so far is a bit difficult for Americans to understand, so pay attention. Hot and cold water are forbidden by law to exit the same faucet. Proably not forbidden, but by the looks of every single sink and tub I've seen so far, it certainly appears so. A faucet for hot water is on the left corner and a cold faucet is on the right corner. As this prevents you from washing anything properly, germs party here in England on a permanent basis. If you are lucky enough to experience hot and cold water running from the same faucet head, the water will not be mixed in order to run as one warm stream. Instead, there will be a stream of hot water in the middle, and a stream of cold water surrounding that. At least you're able to cool your skin while it's burning, especially since there's no ice.

R

rdonthehd

Iceland was without a doubt the cleanest, friendliest, safest place I've ever been in my life and 90% of the people there speak English since nobody but Icelanders speak Icelandic. I didn't rent a car while there because Iceland is very expensive. I got around by hitch-hiking, which I would NEVER EVER do anywhere else. All the backpackers that go to Iceland for the summer get around by way of hitch hiking. The only crime I remember hearing about while there happened months before I showed up and all that happened was a dude tried to rob a bank with a hammer. I did get to visit the Blue Lagoon spa on my last day. I paid the equivalent of $20 and the experience was well worth the bucks, plus I secretly kept the towel they gave me. Here is a blurb about one incident at the Blue Lagoon:

... After swimming, I wanted a snack and figured I'd just have a hot dog. The lady at the snack bar asked me what I wanted on it and I asked, "whattya got?"
"Oh, we have ketchup, mustard and friken fryen frugen."
I asked, "What's friken fryen frugen?" (not the actual words, I'm sure) She scooped up some crispy fried onions and showed me. After my first bite, I realized I was not eating an all beef hotdog. Come to think of it, there are a lot of sheep in Iceland. I still liked it, even with the grainy brown mustard and the friken fryen frugen.

Vince

What, no fish and chips?? I could have eaten that stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Right down the street from the hotel in Cambridge there was this little place that made the best fish and chips.:yum:

R

rdonthehd

Vince said:
What, no fish and chips?? I could have eaten that stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Right down the street from the hotel in Cambridge there was this little place that made the best fish and chips.:yum:

Oh, I ate plenty of fish and chips when I was in england, that's just regular pub food. I also ate haggis when in Scotland - I recommend eating that while drinking whiskey, once you eat haggis, you'll know why. When I was in Wales I ate stuff that I still don't know what it is.... rarebits? what's that? Ususally if I couldn't pronounce it or had no clue, I usually ordered it! :cheers:

Vince

rdonthehd said:
Oh, I ate plenty of fish and chips when I was in england, that's just regular pub food. I also ate haggis when in Scotland - I recommend eating that while drinking whiskey, once you eat haggis, you'll know why. When I was in Wales I ate stuff that I still don't know what it is.... rarebits? what's that? Ususally if I couldn't pronounce it or had no clue, I usually ordered it! :cheers:
I don't remember what I had in Scotland. Was in Lucres, Scotland many years ago. Even then you had to take an old train to get to town. The town and the people were great. We stayed at an old RAF base that looked like something out of WWII. Curled barbwire and everything.

R

rdonthehd

Vince said:
I don't remember what I had in Scotland. Was in Lucres, Scotland many years ago. Even then you had to take an old train to get to town. The town and the people were great. We stayed at an old RAF base that looked like something out of WWII. Curled barbwire and everything.

cool. I did see some old stuff when I took the train from Aberdeen to Glasgow. I stayed in youth hostels - clean, cheap and you meet lots of cool people. I went out on the town in Aberdeen with one of my roomies, she was from France and wanted to speak English. When I started to speak French, she said that she wanted to practice her English and I said that was fine with me! Check out my photos on my homepage : www.geocities.com/vmwillis1972 www.geocities.com/vmwillis1972 :patriot:

Vince

Great Pics! Typical Scotland/England weather. I don't think I remember a day in England that it wasn't rainy or cloudy. And I was there quite a few times.

Vince

rdonthehd said:
Iceland was without a doubt the cleanest, friendliest, safest place I've ever been in my life and 90% of the people there speak English since nobody but Icelanders speak Icelandic. I didn't rent a car while there because Iceland is very expensive.
Reykjavik? Keflavik? Those are the only places in Iceland that I've been.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Rarebits, I kind of remember something called that from some of my travels back in the 80s. Was it a Welsh bacon and onion or maybe bacon and mushroom concoction?

Icelandic batter fried fish is by far the best fried fish I have had. I liked those thin tail rock lobsters too. We had some kick ass local Icelandic cooks when I did a year on the southeast side of the island at Hofn back in 1977/78. I gained about 40lbs the first 6 months and probably another 20 the second.

California_bred

Nordic Princess
I've never been to Iceland but I did enjoy Sweden, Denmark, and Norway. They were very clean but nothing was as clean as Singapore. Very safe too.

R

rdonthehd

California_bred said:
I've never been to Iceland but I did enjoy Sweden, Denmark, and Norway. They were very clean but nothing was as clean as Singapore. Very safe too.
I'd like to get over to those Norweigen countries one day. I met a girl in London who's boyfriend was from Norway and she said she loved it there. I also want to get over to an oriental country one day. I've been told that Thailand is nice, where the buddhist monastaries are at least.

California_bred

Nordic Princess
Thailand is nice. I visited Phuket, Bangkok and some of the islands in the east part of the country. Seeing the tsunami videos was unreal. I saw places I recognize being slammed by the waves. Bangkok can be a bit scary if you're traveling with just the girls though. A lot of leering.