Target raised wages. But some workers say their hours were cut, leaving them struggling

transporter

Target Raises Wages as CEOs Compete for Workers in ‘Hire American’ Economy

Retailer Target Corp. is raising starter wages to $13 per hour, marking a continued rise in blue-collar wages amid President Donald Trump’s “Hire American” economic policy.

In 2017, the company predicted it would raise starting wages to $11 per hour. But in March 2018, growing competition for workers forced it to accept another raise to $12 an hour. It is now promising to set the minimum wage to $13 by June, marking a 28 percent increase in two years.

Similar rises are being seen throughout the economy as Trump’s opposition to cheap-labor migration in 2017 and 2018 is forcing investors and CEOs to compete for labor by offering higher wages.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Are retail employees really this stupid?

Not all of them, but largely....yes. You also have to wonder about waiters and waitresses who want to switch to minimum wage instead of tips. Low information people don't think about consequences or cause/effect, and they disregard their co-workers who ARE paying attention and try to warn them.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
You also have to wonder about waiters and waitresses who want to switch to minimum wage instead of tips. ...

They're usually the crappy ones of the mix and not the ones you'd leave a generous tip.

Auntie Biache'

What I don't get is how retail employees don't catch on to stuff like, keeping their hours below a certain number, so the company doesn't have to give them benefits. I hear it all the time, "I'm just short of the hours I need to get benefits", and "I'm up for promotion, have been busting my ass..." then boom "I'm sorry, we've had to make some cut-backs. I'm afraid you didn't make the cut-off".

officeguy

Targets new self checkout kiosks work better than their $13/hr employees. Stocking robots won't be far behind.

nutz

Targets new self checkout kiosks work better than their $13/hr employees. Stocking robots won't be far behind.
Don’t you think that may be part of the problem? What incentive does Target (or other retail) have to focus on customer service when you are happy to ring up and bag your own purchases for free?

limblips

PREMO Member
Years ago I was at a large contractor's kitting facility. They had a robotic cart that was programmed to pick each part required for a kit, deliver it to the vacuum packer, the robotic packer laid out the parts by their order of use, vacuumed them and sent them on their way to the shipping room. The robot was also capable of restocking the bins with new parts as they came in. At the time we discussed the future of warehousing, inventory management and restocking. The human need had diminished to just monitoring the robot.

There are politicians and people today who see a retailer/manufacturer/service provider as a potential public welfare support system if they are properly mandated and regulated.

officeguy

Years ago I was at a large contractor's kitting facility. They had a robotic cart that was programmed to pick each part required for a kit, deliver it to the vacuum packer, the robotic packer laid out the parts by their order of use, vacuumed them and sent them on their way to the shipping room. The robot was also capable of restocking the bins with new parts as they came in. At the time we discussed the future of warehousing, inventory management and restocking. The human need had diminished to just monitoring the robot.

The human is elevated to monitoring the robot.

There are politicians and people today who see a retailer/manufacturer/service provider as a potential public welfare support system if they are properly mandated and regulated.

E.g. gas station attendants in NJ and anyone who works at a car dealership or liquor wholesaler.

limblips

PREMO Member
Don’t you think that may be part of the problem? What incentive does Target (or other retail) have to focus on customer service when you are happy to ring up and bag your own purchases for free?
I see the self-checkout as a huge customer service upgrade. You claim I am ringing up and bagging my purchases for free, not so because my time has value. I always use self-checkout when available because I save that time. There is also the added benefit of not having to put up with the many aggravating things that occur in checkout lines.

Here's a question for you. Do use a self-serve gas pump? There was a time when a lot of people made money pumping gas, washing windshields and checking oil.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

When you go to a locally owned store, the cashiers know their stuff and can answer questions and help you with your purchase. Home Depot and Lowes and a few others are still like that; Target and Walmart not so much. The cashier may know what aisle something's in, but if you ask them what you need for your dog's scratching or what else you need for your plumbing repair they are clueless.

I'ma plug Pepper's Pet Pantry as an example:

Every single person working in that store, from MB down to her new counter person, can help you and answer your questions. And if for some reason they can't, someone who can is right there next to them. No, "Hang on, let me get my manager..." (who takes forever to sludge themselves to the register and 9 times out of 10 doesn't know either). When I go into Pepper's and say, "Here's my problem..." I have gotten a great solution each and every time.

The ONLY thing Target cashiers know how to do is ring up your purchase, and I don't need them for that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Another example:

I go to McKay's and there's a cut of meat on sale. I ask the butcher, "What would I do with this cut of meat?" and he tells me.

Try that at Giant.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I see the self-checkout as a huge customer service upgrade. You claim I am ringing up and bagging my purchases for free, not so because my time has value. I always use self-checkout when available because I save that time. There is also the added benefit of not having to put up with the many aggravating things that occur in checkout lines.

Here's a question for you. Do use a self-serve gas pump? There was a time when a lot of people made money pumping gas, washing windshields and checking oil.
The benefit is not yours. The benefit, (reducing employee numbers, and associated costs), is solely for the corporation. Your use is an ancillary, propaganda infused, perceived benefit, from their installation. In essence, you are working for the corporation by ringing up, cashiering, and bagging your cart full of stuff. So while your "time has value", you are giving to the corporation your, precious time, for free. Now, if they offered, say, a discount of 2% - 5%, for people to use self-checkouts, that would be an appropriate level of compensation for one's time and work for essentially doing the work of the corporation for the limited time taken to self-checkout.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The benefit is not yours.

In my world it is. I have better things to do than stand in line waiting to get checked out, only to find that the person in front of me wants to squabble about a price check and pay in change. It's way faster for me to just ring the chit up myself in my own kiosk rather than have to make strategic decisions as to which line to get into.

Hmmm...the person in this line only has a few items, but the cashier looks like a dumbass....this cashier looks capable, but the person in line has a butt ton of groceries.....okay, I'll get in this line....as someone with 4 screaming kids and two carts of crap darts in ahead of me.....

It's just too stressful. Easier to wait my turn at the kiosk and get the hell out of there.

Auntie Biache'

Easier to wait my turn at the kiosk and get the hell out of there.

Ultimately, this will be the whole problem. When there are no more cashiers, there will still be lines. Only the line you used to get into to ring yourself up, will be like all the other lines with cashiers today. It's like everything else-slow and steady wins the game. In this case, their game of hiring and insuring fewer employees. It seems nice now, but when everybody else is in that line, it won't seem to nice then.