Target Shooting Range in Calvert

RickB

I was prompted to write this after recently reading online that Calvert County could possibly get a shooting range.
In the last week or so my wife and I have gone to two gun clubs in surrounding counties. The first was Prince George’s County Trap and Skeet Center. This county owned public premier venue offers skeet, trap and sporting clays as well as safety programs, shooter training, gun rental and sales and reloading supplies. The list of what’s available goes on and on. The second gun range we attended with friends was the Loch Raven Skeet and Trap Club located in Phoenix, MD. There we attended the club’s first organized skeet shoot of the year. This beautiful club was formed for recreational, educational, charitable and nonprofit purposes. Both clubs we visited promote and organize charitable shooting events, as well as corporate events and group outings.
This kind of club would certainly add well to Calvert County’s current recreational opportunities such as golfing, fishing, and boating. It could serve as a venue for various fundraising events, and could even provide state, national, and international Olympic style shooting opportunities for our young people.
With the correct technologies and planning, some possible state and private funding, and great marketing visions, a first class venue in Calvert County would be a real asset--- providing some jobs and possibly additional tax revenue for Calvert County.
Oh…and would there be a demand? Absolutely! Each time I’ve been to either of the above clubs…weekdays and weekends, there are always people enjoying the venue. I am a member of a club in our neighboring county which has a 600 member cap AND a waiting list to join the club. I believe a range in Calvert would be welcome and well used.
JUST THINKING…