Target Shooting

FirstGear

About a year ago I decided to get into target shooting, the problem is finding somewhere to shoot. The range on great mills has a waiting list and the start up members is out of my range.

I have a friend with property she said I can shoot there. I am looking for a reference with the guidelines on shooting on private property: distance to the next house and how much room down range. Thank you.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
About a year ago I decided to get into target shooting, the problem is finding somewhere to shoot. The range on great mills has a waiting list and the start up members is out of my range.

I have a friend with property she said I can shoot there. I am looking for a reference with the guidelines on shooting on private property: distance to the next house and how much room down range. Thank you.

There is no room "down range". If your ammo leaves the property you are shooting on, you may kill someone.

I have a house next to my farm, they own 10 acres. People there shooting into my woods almost killed my cousin because they "didn't think anyone was back there".
Again, there is no room "down range" outside your property.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I'm starting to hear rumors of a gun range being planned in Calvert County. Anyone know anything they care to share?

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Freds in the dorf has an indoor range or you could go to Southeast DC, they have shooting ranges on every street. :dance:

nutz

Varies according to where you live and what the local government has on the books. The local planning and zoning office should be able to point you to the applicable rule.
There was another thread about it here http://forums.somd.com/outdoor-recreation/264450-making-safe-place-shoot-my-property-maybe-5.html

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, havent done anything so far, been busy with other stuff. Neighbor lady, who has more clearance towards teh back of her property, has said I could come back and shoot there if I want. Still might clear out the place I was talking about,m but sawing up that fallen 60 foot oak and hauling it out is a job that can wait a while.,

garyt27

INAFJ
I have a question about public hunting land, such as near Calvert Cliffs state park and the area off 231, Can you take some targets in there and zero a .22 scope?
Thanks.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
QUOTE=sockgirl77;5320361]Fred's prices are ridiculous. Drive 15 more minutes and go to MSAR.[/QUOTE]

:yeahthat: I rarely hear of anyone shooting at Freds anymore and they are still only one box of ammo purchases. Dicks has no limits on ammo anymore except .22lr.

I have a friend on 80+ acres who shoots on hers. I'll be going there this spring. Indoors I use MSAR and PSTA.

nutz

I have a question about public hunting land, such as near Calvert Cliffs state park and the area off 231, Can you take some targets in there and zero a .22 scope?
Thanks.

No.....Md. Dept of Natural resources regulations

.16 Shooting Range Permits.
A. On Service controlled lands and water target shooting is permitted only in designated shooting ranges and with prior written permission from the Service.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I go to Myrtle Grove near LaPlata. Outdoor 100 yard range. Permit $20 per year.

of the NRA Range in Fairfax ... you can shoot full sized rifles

[leave the elephant guns at home - the range is .50 BMG Rated but they do not allow hvy artillery like that regularly ]

RPMDAD

Have always used Myrtle Grove. 9 Mil., 45 ACP, 22 rifle, 12 gauge. Have seen other people shooting higher calibers.

Vince

of the NRA Range in Fairfax ... you can shoot full sized rifles

[leave the elephant guns at home - the range is .50 BMG Rated but they do not allow hvy artillery like that regularly ]
Don't have a .50 BMG, so I'm not really worried about it. Shoot regular guns, AR-15 .223, .45LC Henry rifle, .44 Henry, etc. :shrug: Never had a problem at Myrtle Grove. Right before hunting season...yeah. Everyone is trying to sight in their shotgun, rifle, blackpowder, whatever. The rest of the year it's just the regulars shooting.