Tax Returns for Teen

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Son had a part-time job over the summer and wants to file taxes this year to get money back. What forms are required? 1040EZ, I know. What else?? TIA

Chris0nllyn

His W2(s) (or 1099) and a 1040EZ. With the increased standard deduction, a 1040EZ will take only a few minutes to complete and the best way for him being on (assumed) lower income.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And make him do his return himself (supervised, of course). It's good practice for him. Like Chris said, it's just a matter of plugging in the numbers from his W-2.

transporter

His W2(s) (or 1099) and a 1040EZ. With the increased standard deduction, a 1040EZ will take only a few minutes to complete and the best way for him being on (assumed) lower income.

Increased standard deduction does not take place until 2018...will not affect 2017 taxes.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

So just one form? I thought he had to do State and Federal like we do.

Chris0nllyn

Increased standard deduction does not take place until 2018...will not affect 2017 taxes.

That's true. I mis-read the OP thinking it said "next year".

Either way, 1040EZ is the way to go. If he makes less than 66,000 he may be able to use a free filing tool. https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Oftentimes places like H&R Block will do EZ forms for free (don't know if any terms apply), but as Vrai said, doing it himself is a valuable skill.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Ok, thanks. I thought he had to do the 502 also.

Also, don't forget that he can't claim his own personal exemption since you will be claiming him on your own return, assuming he's living under your roof. He still get's his own standard deduction though.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Also, don't forget that he can't claim his own personal exemption since you will be claiming him on your own return, assuming he's living under your roof. He still get's his own standard deduction though.

Yep, the form even says that.

PeoplesElbow

I have been using the H&R Block software for years. From what I understand it would be completely free for him, I highly recommend it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I had suggested both to my husband but he is very leery of doing anything like that online so we will just have him do it on the forms.

Nothing to be leery about. I've been using Turbo Tax for twenty years. I don't save any info online. I download and save the file to my hard drive so I can use it the following year. BTW, using the form and submitting it to the IRS is basically the same as doing it online. And we all know how efficient the govt is at protecting our information.

PeoplesElbow

Nothing to be leery about. I've been using Turbo Tax for twenty years. I don't save any info online. I download and save the file to my hard drive so I can use it the following year. BTW, using the form and submitting it to the IRS is basically the same as doing it online. And we all know how efficient the govt is at protecting our information.

Same here, the only part of the H&R Block that is online is downloading the state program and electronically transmitting your return to the IRS. THere is no "data in the cloud", except what the IRS stores there and that would even be for those that filed on paper forms.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Well, that went over like a load of bricks. I *think* my husband and son got the Federal form completed but husband was getting so frustrated with the Maryland one that he gave up and told me to do it. The form is so confusing for something that should be so easy. I think I'll just stop by H&R Block and have them do it at this point.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Well, that went over like a load of bricks. I *think* my husband and son got the Federal form completed but husband was getting so frustrated with the Maryland one that he gave up and told me to do it. The form is so confusing for something that should be so easy. I think I'll just stop by H&R Block and have them do it at this point.

Should've went with the online version of Turbo Tax. It free for your son's situation. Same for my youngest. Took about 15 minutes. He got his refunds within a week.