SMCM Tayo Clyburn Announced as Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion/Chief Diversity Officer

Tayo Clyburn Announced as Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion/Chief Diversity Officer Michael Bruckler April 11, 2019 - 5:04 pm
April 11, 2019
Tayo Clyburn pictured

St. Mary's College of Maryland has appointed Tayo Clyburn as vice president of diversity and inclusion/chief diversity officer. He will join St. Mary’s College in July 2019 and will report directly to President Tuajuanda C. Jordan.

“I’m honored and excited for Tayo to join St. Mary’s College as the Vice President for inclusive diversity and equity/chief diversity officer to continue to infuse inclusion, diversity, and equity efforts into all aspects of the College. I also want to thank Kenneth Coopwood Sr., who will continue to serve as interim through June 30. Ken has made tremendous efforts building relationships and programming both on campus and with the external community. I am certain Tayo will continue some of these initiatives and will also implement programming of his own to enhance our College community’s diversity education and experiences on campus.”

Clyburn was the executive director of mission and strategic partnerships in The Ohio State University’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion. He joined ODI in 2010 and worked with collaborative diversity initiatives, facilitating relationships between ODI and academic and services units, as well as partners throughout the Columbus community. Clyburn promoted diversity and inclusion at Ohio State by assessing university diversity practices and data trends and worked with senior leaders to advocate for institutional change. Prior to joining ODI, Clyburn coordinated the program for arts and humanities development, a nine-week summer institute at Ohio State that brought together faculty and student scholars from underrepresented groups from a range of disciplinary and institutional locations.

Clyburn earned his master’s degree and PhD from Ohio State’s Department of English where his work focused on critical race theory and post-Civil Rights African American literature, specifically studying the ways African American writers portray the impact of colorblind/post-racial discourse on the lives of Black people.

[ This article originally appeared here ]