TDRs in St Mary's County

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Does anyone know what they are selling for right now? Any projects that need them?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Do you realize when you sell TDR's the rest of the acreage gets devalued?

Why is that? I always assumed that the value would be affected by the assignment and acceptance of the TDRs in the first place.

I was told I need to purchase 2 TDRs to separate and develop a waterfront lot I have. I never pursued it but I'm curious what they are worth these days.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Transferrable Development Rights were created as a way of compensating landowners for loss of value when they agree to - or are forced to - forego their right to subdivide and sell their property to a degree. At the same time, to create a market for TDRs where none existed before and thus create a value for them, the county created requirements to purchase TDRs for certain types of development in designated areas.

In my case, what I could have simply had subdivided by survey back when I bought it cannot be subdivided now without me purchasing 2 TDRs.

The most frustrating thing about the whole TDR market is that there is no actual market....I still don't know how one finds a TDR for sale other than catching an ad someone might put up. Yet the large developers always seem to be able to find the ones they need.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
In Calvert the County keeps track of who has them. Once sold the landowner pretty much gives up the right to develop the property. Most put their land into Ag or Forest Preservation and catch a way lower assessment. If farm land, for example, is sub-dividable for a housing development it's assessed, and taxed, at a much higher value. That's one reason farmers take advantage of the TDR program. Others eat the higher taxes to keep their options open to develop later, especially if it looks as though no one will take over the farm from them.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Transferrable Development Rights were created as a way of compensating landowners for loss of value when they agree to - or are forced to - forego their right to subdivide and sell their property to a degree. At the same time, to create a market for TDRs where none existed before and thus create a value for them, the county created requirements to purchase TDRs for certain types of development in designated areas.

In my case, what I could have simply had subdivided by survey back when I bought it cannot be subdivided now without me purchasing 2 TDRs.

The most frustrating thing about the whole TDR market is that there is no actual market....I still don't know how one finds a TDR for sale other than catching an ad someone might put up. Yet the large developers always seem to be able to find the ones they need.

In slow but I do try English (laymans terms)... is that like I have 10 acres and my children want to build homes. So I separate and mark off 2 acres each for them, making it three properties? If not, I give up and don't care what they are. Smelled smoke too many times today, I'm tired.

:coffee:

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
In slow but I do try English (laymans terms)... is that like I have 10 acres and my children want to build homes. So I separate and mark off 2 acres each for them, making it three properties? If not, I give up and don't care what they are. Smelled smoke too many times today, I'm tired.

Its big areas of dirt, in laymans terms. :buddies:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Taxman Deferred Revenue, or just another way to get more money for the govt.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

It depends on where your property is located (in RPD zone or not) and how large it is. I don't pretend to know all the nuances of how TDRs are assigned and exactly to whom; the simple version is that Farmer Brown will receive a bunch of TDRs if he agrees to not subdivide and develop his farm land.