Teacher presents?

xobxdoc

There is a teacher at Calvert Middle that needs a bone marrow match. Get tested at CMS on 5-21-11. That would be a good gift.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Gift card from "educate and celebrate" in Waldorf. I'm a H.O.T, I know these things.

They also have a store in Prince Frederick. This is a great idea (I usually drop $200 there every August, :lol:).

A bottle of whiskey, a bottle of Excedrin and a shot glass.:otter:

You know, there are certainly days when these three things would be greatly appreciated but I'm not sure how PC this is ... :lol:

Why not give them school supplies for next year? :confused:

Good idea (or a gift card to Staples/Office Depot).

There is a teacher at Calvert Middle that needs a bone marrow match. Get tested at CMS on 5-21-11. That would be a good gift.

Now this one really puts things into perspective! Can you post some more details for those of us who might be able to participate in this?

As far as the other suggestions go, the most treasured items are the cards/notes/letters from the students. Those are the things that go into the "treasure box" at my house. If you want to throw in gift card/gift certificate, the most useful ones are those for gas, books, office supplies, pizza places (we like to treat our students every now & then), or restaurants. Home-baked items are ALWAYS appreciated!!

Thanks for sharing that story about the trip for the teacher. I don't believe I've every heard of such a thing in all my 29 years of teaching. Guess it's because I never worked at a private school where people had money enough to have timeshares, air miles, etc. Wow! Although, come to think of it, I'd feel kind of funny getting a gift like that, so I guess it's a good thing I teach in a public school! :roflmao:

terbear1225

They also have a store in Prince Frederick. This is a great idea (I usually drop $200 there every August, :lol:).

You know, there are certainly days when these three things would be greatly appreciated but I'm not sure how PC this is ... :lol:

Good idea (or a gift card to Staples/Office Depot).

Now this one really puts things into perspective! Can you post some more details for those of us who might be able to participate in this?

As far as the other suggestions go, the most treasured items are the cards/notes/letters from the students. Those are the things that go into the "treasure box" at my house. If you want to throw in gift card/gift certificate, the most useful ones are those for gas, books, office supplies, pizza places (we like to treat our students every now & then), or restaurants. Home-baked items are ALWAYS appreciated!!

Thanks for sharing that story about the trip for the teacher. I don't believe I've every heard of such a thing in all my 29 years of teaching. Guess it's because I never worked at a private school where people had money enough to have timeshares, air miles, etc. Wow! Although, come to think of it, I'd feel kind of funny getting a gift like that, so I guess it's a good thing I teach in a public school! :roflmao:

I've worked in a private school for 10 years and have never heard of anyone getting anything like that! IN fact I'd venture to guess that most private school teachers get less than publis school since parents tend to take the mindset of "I already pay tuition, why should I give them a gift too". That's just my guess though.

terbear1225

as far as gift ideas, I've always been a fan of starbucks cards, or maybe get together with some other parents and get a Keurig. caffeine is a teacher's best friend some days.

xobxdoc

CALVERT MIDDLE SCHOOL PTSA
BONE MARROW SCREENING DRIVE
SATURDAY, MAY 21, 2011
CALVERT MIDDLE SCHOOL
PRINCE FREDERICK, MD
9:00 AM – 2:00 PM

The Calvert Middle School PTSA will be sponsoring a bone marrow screening drive on May 21st at CMS. Rod Stewart is a teacher at CMS and has been diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML). Rod is the husband of fellow Calvert Middle School teacher Karin Stewart. He is the father of two beautiful teenage daughters, Meggie and Carli. Recently he was told that the oral chemotherapy drugs are no longer effective and he needs a bone marrow transplant. There are currently no matches for Rod in the National Bone Marrow Registry. Family members who have been tested have not provided the match he needs. Currently a bone marrow transplant is the only option that Rod has to beat his cancer. There are people like Rod all over the world, waiting to find that perfect match. Our hope is that while helping Rod, we will also touch the lives of others as well.

Please make the time to come on May 21st to become part of the National Bone Marrow Registry (BE THE MATCH REGISTRY), to make a dream come true. The bone marrow screening consists of a simple mouth swab. There are certain guidelines that have to be met in order to donate, including being between the ages of 18-60 and being in good general health. For more information, go to the BE THE MATCH website at marrow.org or call

Karin Stewart (443) 624-3440
Beckie Bowen (410) 474-4885
Sonja Carroll (410) 474-2183

If you would like to make a tax deductible donation to help support this cause please visit the following webpage:

http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/goto/Rod.Stewart

If you are unable to attend the screening on May 21st but would like to be screened, please click on the link above and then click on the Be The Match link on the bottom of the page. Then click Join the Registry on the upper right corner and start filling out the application.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!

SATURDAY, MAY 21, 2011
CALVERT MIDDLE SCHOOL
PRINCE FREDERICK, MD

The Calvert Middle School PTSA will be sponsoring a bone marrow screening drive on May 21st at CMS. Rod Stewart is a teacher at CMS and has been diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML). Rod is the husband of fellow Calvert Middle School teacher Karin Stewart. He is the father of two beautiful teenage daughters, Meggie and Carli. Recently he was told that the oral chemotherapy drugs are no longer effective and he needs a bone marrow transplant. There are currently no matches for Rod in the National Bone Marrow Registry. Family members who have been tested have not provided the match he needs. Currently a bone marrow transplant is the only option that Rod has to beat his cancer. There are people like Rod all over the world, waiting to find that perfect match. Our hope is that while helping Rod, we will also touch the lives of others as well.

Please make the time to come on May 21st to become part of the National Bone Marrow Registry (BE THE MATCH REGISTRY), to make a dream come true. The bone marrow screening consists of a simple mouth swab. There are certain guidelines that have to be met in order to donate, including being between the ages of 18-60 and being in good general health. For more information, go to the BE THE MATCH website at marrow.org or call

If you would like to make a tax deductible donation to help support this cause please visit the following webpage:

If you are unable to attend the screening on May 21st but would like to be screened, please click on the link above and then click on the Be The Match link on the bottom of the page. Then click Join the Registry on the upper right corner and start filling out the application.

:yay:

Thanks!!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:yay:

I'm going to be tested. One of his daughters is a very good friend of Thing2.

jg21

SATURDAY, MAY 21, 2011
CALVERT MIDDLE SCHOOL
PRINCE FREDERICK, MD

Karin's my niece, which I guess makes Rod my nephew-in-law(?). Rod's a great guy and this is a great family. Any help would be appreciated. Hope to see you on the 21st!

Thanks,
Jim

xobxdoc

Karin's my niece, which I guess makes Rod my nephew-in-law(?). Rod's a great guy and this is a great family. Any help would be appreciated. Hope to see you on the 21st!

Thanks,
Jim

Karin taught my son last year. She's one of those teachers that makes a difference. This family could use some help now. I'll be there.

LazySmurfette

Any ideas for presents for the teachers for their end of school year teacher appreciation gifts?

No mugs, no "apple" themed things, no junk. In the $20 range.

Go.

:howdy: A note was sent home at the girls school and asked if anyone owned a business or knew some businesses that would be willing to donate items to the school for their staff appreciation luncheon this Friday. They also asked for a $2.00 donation from each child to help cover the cost of the catered lunch.

I donated two items from both my business and wrote a check for some money because when I talked to the person that was in charge of this, she said she had gotten around $250 total from the whole school... I understand times are tough, but I got a little irritated because I had that much and then some in loose change in my car. So it wasn't that hard to find the money...

I will also be having the kids write letters to each of their teachers at the end of the year because we are moving and they have asked that the girls keep in touch. You got a lot of great ideas on here, and some that I never would have thought of.

I am trying to find time to stop by and say hi to everyone! I miss the people! Can ya let 'em know I said hi please???? :buddies:

drivingdaisy

Gifts

Most teachers don't need any more candles or lotions. (I send most of my lotions to different programs that make donation baskets for soldiers.) I personally don't really want baked goods or candy. I'm assaulted with cupcakes and donuts daily for different birthdays. A lot of teachers are trying to watch their weight.

Gift cards to staples, teacher stores (online-teachers discount, beckers, etc), target or wawa are always good. (I got enough wawa gift cards at christmas to pay for gas on a road trip... good deal). I like potted plants at the end of the year. I bring my pet dog into school sometimes and one year my students got me a special dog frame. I loved that too.

I got a gift card for a massage one year, which is a little expensive, but I had the family's triplets. I did love it! The mom also wrote me the nicest card I have ever received about how much she appreciated all I had done for her children. I keep this card in my desk drawer to look at when I am having a bad day.

A cute card idea... the parent took a picture of the student, the student had written Thank You on the asphalt with side walk chalk and turned the picture into a card. I loved it.

I am always grateful for what I get and never upset if I don't get anything. Most teachers are just pretty happy it is the end of the school year. haha :yahoo:

punjabigyrl

Any ideas for presents for the teachers for their end of school year teacher appreciation gifts?

No mugs, no "apple" themed things, no junk. In the $20 range.

Go.

I give candy bouquets to all the teachers. A local lady that has a gift basket business that does it. Love her product caters to all price range and delivers them as well. I've sent you a PM with her info.

NattyLight1128

Candy Bouquet

I give candy bouquets to all the teachers. A local lady that has a gift basket business that does it. Love her product caters to all price range and delivers them as well. I've sent you a PM with her info.

My wife's a teacher and there were two gifts she's gotten that she really appreciated:

1) A hanging basket with her favorite types of candy hot glued to pencils/pens and stuck into it (making a "candy bouquet")
2) A donation to a clean water foundation to bring clean drinking water to schools in developing countries .... it related to what she'd been teaching

WelkerGirl

Most teachers I know would appreciate the standards: post-it notes, pens, packs of pencils, loose leaf paper, erasers, books for their classroom library, sharpie markers.