Team USA - 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I'm looking forward to it.... but does ANYONE know if they have posted the final people/teams going to the Olympics from the U.S.? I have been searching the internet and feel like I'm being sent all over the place.

I did see on wiki this list but I wasn't sure if it was official and it looks incomplete.

United States at the 2014 Winter Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus, if anyone sees the final TV program listing... please post it. I haven't had any luck finding that either but it is a little early.

Severa

Common sense ain't common
NBC has full coverage of the Olympics, go to NBC Olympics for everything you need. I have Metrocast, I was able to make an account through them to access all of the video on the NBC Olympics site.

Severa

Common sense ain't common
Ha check it out! We may have a Cool Runnings 2 on our hands!

Espn.com - Sochi officials: Jamaica bobsled in

The Jamaican bobsled team may be headed to another Olympics.

The catch: It needs a lot of money, and it needs it fast.

Olympic organizers said Saturday that Jamaica has qualified for the two-man competition at next month's Sochi Games, though it remains unclear if the fledgling squad will get a chance to race. Funding is a serious problem, and sled driver Winston Watts told The Associated Press on Saturday that he's trying to raise as much as $80,000 in the next couple weeks to cover travel and equipment costs.

GregV814

well, I know I am going to be accused of being a jerk, but:

As controversy erupted over Russia’s anti-gay law ahead of next year’s Sochi Olympics, President Barack Obama said that he opposed boycotting the Games in favor of letting the United States delegation lead by example on the LGBT rights front.

“One thing I’m really looking forward to is maybe some gay and lesbian athletes bringing home the gold or silver or bronze, which i think would go a long way in rejecting the kind of attitudes we’re seeing there,” Obama said. “And if Russia doesn’t have gay or lesbian athletes, it’ll probably make their team weaker.”

Tuesday, Obama took a step forward in providing that example, selecting tennis legend and former U.S. Olympic coach Billie Jean King, a lesbian who has long been an LGBT equality advocate, to be a part of the delegation that will represent the White House at the opening ceremony on February 7. Hockey player Caitlin Cahow, who is also openly gay, will be a part of the delegation to the closing ceremonies on February 23.

King became the first major female athlete to come out in 1981. Cahow came out in an interview in November.

The White House did not, of course, list King or Cahow’s sexuality or advocacy as a reason for their inclusion. King is a Hall of Fame tennis player and a member of the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition, and Cahow is a silver and bronze medal-winning Olympian, so both are worthy selections on their athletic achievements alone. But whether it was a reason for their selection or not, their place in Sochi will demonstrate exactly the point Obama said he hoped American athletes would make.

Hank

my war
well, I know I am going to be accused of being a jerk, but:

As controversy erupted over Russia’s anti-gay law ahead of next year’s Sochi Olympics, President Barack Obama said that he opposed boycotting the Games in favor of letting the United States delegation lead by example on the LGBT rights front.

“One thing I’m really looking forward to is maybe some gay and lesbian athletes bringing home the gold or silver or bronze, which i think would go a long way in rejecting the kind of attitudes we’re seeing there,” Obama said. “And if Russia doesn’t have gay or lesbian athletes, it’ll probably make their team weaker.”

Tuesday, Obama took a step forward in providing that example, selecting tennis legend and former U.S. Olympic coach Billie Jean King, a lesbian who has long been an LGBT equality advocate, to be a part of the delegation that will represent the White House at the opening ceremony on February 7. Hockey player Caitlin Cahow, who is also openly gay, will be a part of the delegation to the closing ceremonies on February 23.

King became the first major female athlete to come out in 1981. Cahow came out in an interview in November.

The White House did not, of course, list King or Cahow’s sexuality or advocacy as a reason for their inclusion. King is a Hall of Fame tennis player and a member of the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition, and Cahow is a silver and bronze medal-winning Olympian, so both are worthy selections on their athletic achievements alone. But whether it was a reason for their selection or not, their place in Sochi will demonstrate exactly the point Obama said he hoped American athletes would make.

Dude. This is old news. King isn't even going due to a sick Mother.

PJay

Reporters are not happy with hotel accommodations. Reads really bad there. Gross.

mamatutu

mama to two
"The winter Olympics kick off this week in the Russian resort city of Sochi. The quadrennial event always gets attention, but it's getting a lot more than usual this time around. This two-minute video explains what you need to know about Sochi's peculiar history, how they're making the Olympics work and why a lot of people are so worried about security."

The Sochi Olympics, explained in two minutes

Dakota

~~~~~~~
There are three Independent Olympic participants competing in three different sports at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia from 7th to 23 February 2014, all hailing from India. Currently the Indian Olympic Association is suspended by the IOC so the athletes themselves will compete as independents under the Olympic flag.

I had to look that up because my husband and I are like "huh?? what does that mean?"

We are so glad they are not terrorists. :doh:

Okay... waiting on Team USA :buddies:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
There are three Independent Olympic participants competing in three different sports at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia from 7th to 23 February 2014, all hailing from India. Currently the Indian Olympic Association is suspended by the IOC so the athletes themselves will compete as independents under the Olympic flag.

I had to look that up because my husband and I are like "huh?? what does that mean?"

We are so glad they are not terrorists. :doh:

Okay... waiting on Team USA :buddies:

My husband and I just did the same thing. Haven't seen this before.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Amazing how many of the athletes from other countries live in the US.

I'm still thinking about how Pakistan has an athlete competing... I thought all they did there was blow people up and play hide and go seek with Osama bin Laden.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Ha check it out! We may have a Cool Runnings 2 on our hands!

Espn.com - Sochi officials: Jamaica bobsled in

The Jamaican bobsled team may be headed to another Olympics.

The catch: It needs a lot of money, and it needs it fast.

Olympic organizers said Saturday that Jamaica has qualified for the two-man competition at next month's Sochi Games, though it remains unclear if the fledgling squad will get a chance to race. Funding is a serious problem, and sled driver Winston Watts told The Associated Press on Saturday that he's trying to raise as much as $80,000 in the next couple weeks to cover travel and equipment costs.

They are next to come out!!!

They got more than $120K in donations, crowd is going nuts for them.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
They are next to come out!!!

They got more than $120K in donations, crowd is going nuts for them.

I've been looking forward to it. Loved the movie. They only have 2 athletes, missed it, are they doing the two man bobsled?