Tear Down Dr. Mudd's House

DaSDGuy

and what might this truth be? theres a topic... idk that ive said anything that isnt true so what is this "truth" you prefer vs MUH IDEAS.
Facing history, whether we like it or not, is truth. Tearing down a house is hiding/denying the truth.
So yes, by advocating tearing down Dr Mudds house because you dont like the historical aspect it represents is not facing the truth. Go ahead and twist it however you want. Nobody cares about your "hide your head in the sand" approach to life.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Facing history, whether we like it or not, is truth. Tearing down a house is hiding/denying the truth.
So yes, by advocating tearing down Dr Mudds house because you dont like the historical aspect it represents is not facing the truth. Go ahead and twist it however you want. Nobody cares about your "hide your head in the sand" approach to life.
I've been doing a little research on the Mudd House since lipspittle started this thread. Once the covid scare is over and they open back up, I'm going to visit. Hell, I may volunteer some time to help in the upkeep of this historical site.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I'm reckoning these folks should have their names dragged through the mud and their properties destroyed? These fine folks provided way more aide and comfort than Dr. Mudd ever did. And Surrattsville's name should be changed.

Oh the web that was, and continues, to be weaved.

"Booth and Herold spent the next night, April 25, supposedly locked in the Garretts’ tobacco barn, making them easy prey for the posse that would soon arrive. The Reverend Richard Garrett, however, who was just eleven at the time of the assassination, would later note that the barn actually had double doors on all four sides and large windows in the upper story. William H. Garrett would add that some of those doors and windows fastened on the inside. There was, therefore, no way to actually lock the fugitives inside, another unfortunate fact that has been swept aside by historians.

The posse that would allegedly end the life of John Wilkes Booth arrived at the Garrett home at around 2:00 AM on April 26, 1865. A few hours later, Booth, or someone playing the part of Booth, had been shot. In due time, Dr. Richard Stuart, William Bryant, Elizabeth Quesenberry, Samuel Cox, Thomas Jones, the Garrett sons, and various others were arrested and taken to the Old Capital Prison. Curiously though, they were all freed without being charged. All but Dr. Mudd." Underline my add.

A very, very ,very good, thoughtful and researched writing.

DannyMotorcycle

3 votes

Attachments

• goofy.png
    goofy.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 155

tipsymcgee

If you can, look up Brad Meltzer's episode of Decoded on the History Channel, I think, regarding the Booth theories. There's an argument that the man killed in Booth's place was a patsy, and the family was never allowed to ID the body which was on a naval ship, IIRC, and maybe even the death cert wasn't signed correctly. Booth may have gone on to live his life in Kentucky or Tennessee and there were even a few pictures that could have been him.