Tebow time?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Let me start by pointing out that I am neither a Jets fan nor a Jets hater. I just like Football and Tebow is a hell of a football player. The knock is that he ain't a 'quarterback'. Suffice it to say that I can list dozens of names of folks touted as 'quaterbacks' who ANYONE would take Tebow over starting with Ryan Leaf, moving on to Todd Marinovich, Danny Weurfel and on and on and on.

I am also not anti Sanchez. However, the Jets are struggling, by analysis of Jets fans, Sanchez is not THE problem. He has no great skill people, no running game and an over rated O line and the D is down it's best player, Revis, as well as not really playing all that well.

The 'fear' in making a change now is that it becomes THE change and that the Jets, by some sort of unwritten rule, will then be done with Sanchez forever. This is silly, especially given all their other woes. To be successful in the NFL, hell, in anything, you need to be playing to your strengths and, right now, the situation is tailor made for Tebow.

He can make plays. With Sanchez in, any defense starts off their preparation by planning to make Sanchez beat you. You do this by making sure they can't run, get them into passing downs and then cover their second rate skill guys tight as you can forcing bad throws and sacks.

With Tebow, that all changes. His threat to run is legitimate so, right off the bat, he makes his skill players better. This, in turn, makes the defense less able to totally take away the run. And, as a football player, a really good one, he fires up his own defense by force of will. All of that is what he did in Denver. And he lead them to the playoffs and, if we recall, they beat the Steelers in the first round.
In short, Tim brings to the game, right now, everything Mark lacks.

In fact, I'd argue, if they just let Sanchez struggle, THAT is going to break him and the relationship with the team far faster and more assuredly than changing right now. Hell, Ryan can simply say what I said, the rationale, and be totally free to bring Mark back in when the team gets healthier or if Tim ain't getting it done.

I find it silly to argue they shouldn't make the change right now. They brought Tebow in for reasons and every one of them is evident right now. With no downside.