tennessee walkers

devinej

Hi,

I'm training three tennessee walkers for a friend of my parents. they are coming 4 and 5 year olds, pretty friendly horses and pony. but i don't know much about TWHs. does anyone have any advice about their general temperments? They are much more nervous it seems than other horses that i've trained before...which are a couple thoroughbreds and crosses and a few dozen welsh/tb ponies. they are really cool though, so smooth! they seem to listen to me just as well as the others, but are much more hyped up than i'm used to most of the time. Part of it is being seperated from their buddies. I don't know, maybe its just these three.

Any advice welcome!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I just got a walker to resell wonderful horse..great trail horse but up headed and hyper as you say...

Katt

devinej said:
Hi,

I'm training three tennessee walkers for a friend of my parents. they are coming 4 and 5 year olds, pretty friendly horses and pony. but i don't know much about TWHs. does anyone have any advice about their general temperments? They are much more nervous it seems than other horses that i've trained before...which are a couple thoroughbreds and crosses and a few dozen welsh/as well as the others, but are much more hyped up than i'm used to most of the time. Part of it is being seperated from their buddies. I don't know, maybe its just these three.

Any advice welcome!

I had two TWH's growing up and they weren't anymore hyper than the other horses I've been around. One was more nervous away from home in parades, but was an excellent trail horse. We never showed them because of the run walk gate, but they were comfy to ride. Soft smooth canter and the runwalk was smooth too. THey weren't high steppers, but I've ridden some that were top show horses(not mine) and you don't really even feel them lifting their front feet up at all! Just Smooth sailin'! Pretty neat. Good luck with yours! :howdy: