Tequila

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Looks good. The front of the trailer is a touch high, which is fine. When I add weight, it will level.
View attachment 139766 View attachment 139767
That is freaking awesome! Where did you find a fab shop with such insanely good skillz to make that aluminum tongue adapter?? Say...I passed one exactly like that on the Solomon's bridge yesterday; the missus and I were headed to the Solomons side on our Harleys. Those rigs must be getting really popular. :razz:

I contracted with the lowest bidder I could find, some shlock outfit called "Island Engineering". I'm just waiting for that one time where I hit the brakes real hard and it snaps. It was totally under-designed.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I contracted with the lowest bidder I could find, some shlock outfit called "Island Engineering". I'm just waiting for that one time where I hit the brakes real hard and it snaps. It was totally under-designed.

See?...that's the kinda crap you get when you go with low bidder and ignore the quality aspect. You shoulda known better. And of course, it goes without sayin' that all business owners are tyrants and arseholes, so..

Put about 150 miles on it today. Tows terrific, very well behaved, hardly knew it was back there except when pulling away from a stop. One of the STS drivers pulled up along side of me, said my trailer brake lights weren't working. Took it home, everything was working fine. Might have been tough to see in the daylight, so I think I'll add some high intensity stop lights to the trailer. Don't have an engine temp gauge, I'd feel better towing on the highway with one.

Tomorrow I'll work on 'creature comforts' for the trailer, bed cushions, figuring out where to hang lights, etc....
Been busy the past week working on projects. I ordered and installed a set of tail/brake lights on the pop-up trailer. I don't want them to blink, just tail and brake, so I had to order a 2 to 3 wire converter that separates out the brake from the turn signals on a single wire. Waiting on that, it's in Philly today. Might also add a strobe to the brake lights for a little more visibility.

I did set the trailer up and figure out the bedding. Trailer came with self-inflating memory foam cushions, but they really aren't thick enough for this old body. I had a queen sized memory foam topper for a bed, so I cut that to fit. Between the self-inflating mats, the memory foam and the sleeping bag, it's pretty comfy. And it all rolls up and fits in the forward storage compartment.

Going back and forth on how to transport the solar panel. Originally thought of securing it to the roof racks on the trailer, but wasn't thrilled with that, afraid the bouncing would crack it. Tried to figure out a way to just slide it into the trailer, but I'd have to raise the pop-up to it's max height while on the road, and didn't really want to do that either. Designed and built a carrier that rests on the floor of the trailer, and the solar panel slides into it. Lined with foam to protect the panel, and designed it to carry waterproof tubs to carry all my gear. Also designed a stronger forward section to carry the weight of the solar charger and battery. Just finished putting it all together. Forgot to take pics before I stowed it, so I'll provide some when the weather breaks this weekend. I have a couple while I was building it:
140092 140093 140094 140095

nutz

Because we wanted to build it in aluminum...wall thickness too much for the bender.
Ah,,,,,,,,glad he chose a reputable company, scary what some can come up with

Attachments

• 29D2C211-51FD-41F5-BB01-F0E0C2E1F091.jpeg
    29D2C211-51FD-41F5-BB01-F0E0C2E1F091.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 123
Off topic but GW do you ever get pelted with road debris while riding ?
Yes. More so then when on a bike because you're lower to the ground. I've taken a few good dings that would have hurt a whole lot without the helmet. It somehow manages to get over or around the windscreen.

So, the completed carrier. The green thing the totes are sitting on is the carrier for the solar panel. End cap comes off and the panel just slides in. As you can see, lots of stowage up to 800 pounds. With the top secured in the "tall" position, I can put in tall things, like bicycles as well as all the camp gear. If it's just camp gear, the top comes down to the low profile mode, easier to tow without the wind resistance.

140152 140153 140154 140155 140156