Tesla in trouble?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Only Tranny knows for sure....

In the long list of enterprises which are being propped up by government support, Elon Musk’s projects seem to lead the charge. But the ongoing trade war has effectively exposed the flaw in Musk’s business model. During times of international strife, an overreliance on government subsidies simply is not a viable business strategy. Now, it looks like Musk may be paying the price.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/10/teslas_fatal_strategy.html

black dog

Free America
Cheap fuel is a problem. Maybe soon you will see ads in Popular Science for " How to build your Electric Car' by Elon Musk for 9.95.
Like the 100 mpg carb when we were kids.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Cheap fuel is a problem. Maybe soon you will see ads in Popular Science for " How to build your Electric Car' by Elon Musk for 9.95.
Like the 100 mpg carb when we were kids.

Like the LeGrand. :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control

Odd the article completely forgets to mention that Gigafactory 3 is coming online in the next two months, going from bare plot of land (Feb 19) to making it's first production test vehicles in about 8 months. And not only are they he only foriegn carmaker to wholly own their own plant in China, but also win a recent 10% vehicle tax break for EVs. Which gives them parity with other Chinese EV makers. Here's an overall look that mentions Teslas place in the overall market. Including a couple of links that address them specifically.

https://marketrealist.com/2019/10/ev-makers-trouble-chinas-market-hits-brakes/

This development, along with the removal of trade uncertainty around the units, should enable Tesla to pass on the benefits of lower costs to consumers, thereby giving its sales a boost. Read How Tesla Plans to Lead in the EV Race in China for more info. You can also check out How NIO Is Failing Where Musk’s Tesla Is Thriving for a comparative analysis of NIO and Tesla.

Clem72

We'll see. ;-)

Agreed. They will shed some deadweight like the solar cell division, but they have record demand even after the government subsidy was cut in half. Even if their launch of the Y is as rocky as the 3 was, it will likely also be in greater demand than they can fill for several years.

Add to that China, where they will develop their cells cheapy without Panasonic involved, and they can produce and sell cars WITHOUT being partnered with a government owned chinese company like every other american manufacturer has had to do. Seems like they will make a killing.

As to whether or not they would have got this successful without subsidies, we will never know (same as we can never know if DT would have been elected without the EC). They modeled their business to be the most effective given the market. If the market were different, then they would have sctructed differently.

I don't own a Tesla, but I have resolved to make my next car an electric crossover SUV (whichever is best for sub 40k in 3-4 years when I am looking). I would be very happy to buy the Y if it fits those characteristics, but if not I will get the Kona EV or Kia Niro EV.

There is something oddly satisfying about a KIA electric mom-mobile that has the same 0-60 time as a 1984 Porsche 911 SC RS.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Agreed. They will shed some deadweight like the solar cell division, but they have record demand even after the government subsidy was cut in half. Even if their launch of the Y is as rocky as the 3 was, it will likely also be in greater demand than they can fill for several years.

Add to that China, where they will develop their cells cheapy without Panasonic involved, and they can produce and sell cars WITHOUT being partnered with a government owned chinese company like every other american manufacturer has had to do. Seems like they will make a killing.

As to whether or not they would have got this successful without subsidies, we will never know (same as we can never know if DT would have been elected without the EC). They modeled their business to be the most effective given the market. If the market were different, then they would have sctructed differently.

I don't own a Tesla, but I have resolved to make my next car an electric crossover SUV (whichever is best for sub 40k in 3-4 years when I am looking). I would be very happy to buy the Y if it fits those characteristics, but if not I will get the Kona EV or Kia Niro EV.

There is something oddly satisfying about a KIA electric mom-mobile that has the same 0-60 time as a 1984 Porsche 911 SC RS.

My Norwegian son recently purchased a new Tesla; they are a "screaming good deal" in Norway due to the lack of duties/taxes put on them compared to gasoline or diesel-powered vehicles. I was going to buy a new 4Runner back around '94 and discovered to my utter amazement that it was going to cost me about 80 grand. Would be a lot more now.

But that's only Norway..a country with unlimited hydro-electric power. We burn dinosaur flatulant to make electricity here..or coal.

black dog

Free America

black dog

Free America
The elect shuttle boats? Didnt Annap have a few in the 80's
I have a friend that went elect motor in his vintage 45' Morgan...... They are cruising the world as i write this.
They love it, to me its been a ****ing nightmare, it wouldn't pull them off any kind of grounding and has failed multiple multiple times bringing them into port. I believe from Baltimore to Miami the called Seatow 6 or 7 times. They draw 6', about half of that trip was outside the Intercoastal.
If i was sailing say a J30 to play and race in Annap and Magothy series I would go elect if the diesel needed rebuilt, other than that, no ****ing way.

glhs837

Power with Control
Here's a couple more centered articles, which are not easy to find. 90% of what you read is either full blown fanboy or full blown Seeking Alpha short driven "FUD" or "fear, uncertainty and doubt" as the fanboys call it. Me, I think they will continue the upward trend with plusses and minuses. Some things that are' rarely mentioned, though, is the sheer amount of money plowed right back into growth, as opposed to being real losses. Gigafactory Three is just getting up to speed, and they are announcing the location for GF 4 in Europe. Growth in the grid storage market, the likely introduction of serious improvements to both battery chemistry and production speed due to the outright purchase of Maxwell and Hibar Systems. And the upcoming Model Y CUV, Semi, and pickup truck.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/24/tes...day-in-6-yearscramer-other-experts-react.html

https://marketrealist.com/2019/09/tesla-turnaround-catalysts-china-model-y-progress/

transporter

Do you read anything that isn't politically based and/or biased?

Tesla has lots of problems...they've had problems with production....they've had problems with delivery....they've had problems with cancelled orders....they've had problems with an owner/CEO who thought he was above/beyond the SEC. Tesla has a lot of actual business problems.

A full week after the company reported actual profits on record deliveries you post an article claiming the company is doomed because it takes govt subsidies???

Thanks for proving, once again, how limited your knowledge base is.

Oh and BTW...according to the likes of you and every other ignorati type, the trade war is a wonderful thing that has only been a magnificent positive for American companies. So the article you posted, which states that the trade war is hurting Tesla, therefore must be a lie...right?