Tesla's Cybertruck launch went off the rails when its 'armor glass' windows were easily smashed in a live test

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Oopsie! :lol:

$

glhs837

Power with Control
I dunno about "off the rails", but it didnt look good. On the upside, that door below the window had taken two good shots with a 20lb sledge before this happened. :)

The shape is deceiving, it's got room for six inside and a 6.5 foot bed.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
According to this article, it wasn't a sledge:

Then Musk took it a step further by having Tesla Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen hurl [the golf ball-sized steel sphere] overhand at the demo truck on the dais—and the CEO clearly couldn't hide his surprise when the driver's window shattered.

Anyway, ugly.

Sorry, but I can't get on board with Musk. Seems the criticisms of Trump (i.e., all talk, no results) actually apply to Musk. Solar City, Tesla, bullet train....

I get it, dream big. But other than his space stuff his batting average is way below the Mendoza Line.

--- End of line (MCP)

glhs837

Power with Control
According to this article, it wasn't a sledge:

Anyway, ugly.

Sorry, but I can't get on board with Musk. Seems the criticisms of Trump (i.e., all talk, no results) actually apply to Musk. Solar City, Tesla, bullet train....

I get it, dream big. But other than his space stuff his batting average is way below the Mendoza Line.

View attachment 142961

--- End of line (MCP)

Not the windows, the door..... the video I linker earlier shows that bit too. But this clip shows just the first sledge hammer hit, the first easy shot, the second one he wound up enough that he hit pretty damn hard.....

Solar city is taking a while, granted.

Tesla, once you look beyond the headlines a bit, not snake oil, real things accomplished.

1. 500,000 cars sold, not a huge number, but for a new car company not backed by an industrial conglomerate, not bad.
2.Chinese gigafactory from mud to production in nine months,
  1. Singlehandendly forcing the auto industry to start working EVs seriously, more EVS made by other makers than ever before.
  2. Making grid storage a real thing,
  3. Most efficient battery/motor combination in the industry, nobody else comes close to getting the miles per KWH

And of course, your list didnt SpaceX, which has revolutionized space launch. Cost to orbit has dropped through the floor.

The key thing to keep in mind, is that every single bit of this, every thing he does, has one overriding goal. To make humans an interplanetary species. Spaceships to get there, tunnel boring machines to make habitats, solar energy and battery storage to power them, EVs to travel about once you get there, Starlink to easily and quickly set up a global comm network anywhere you settle people. He makes no bones about, he thinks that every year we spend with the entire species on one easily destroyed planet is one year too many. So in that sense, its snake oil, since his purpose is not to make money, other than as a means to fund his larger goal. Maybe that's all snake oil too, but since he's actually making these things, it's hard to make that case, I think.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
And of course, your list didnt SpaceX, which has revolutionized space launch. Cost to orbit has dropped through the floor.
I'll be from Missouri for most of his stuff, but I did give him credit for SpaceX....

Cheers.

--- End of line (MCP)

glhs837

Power with Control
I'll be from Missouri for most of his stuff, but I did give him credit for SpaceX....

Cheers.

--- End of line (MCP)

I did miss that bit. I dunno, 11 years from first sale to 500,000 cars sold, that's the best performance of any auto startup since when? Can't think of any from scratch automaker that survived that long in recent times.

officeguy

I dunno about "off the rails", but it didnt look good. On the upside, that door below the window had taken two good shots with a 20lb sledge before this happened. :)

Which doesn't explain why the rear window shattered in exactly the same manner.

More likely explanation, the mockup didn't actually have the armor glass and the guy throwing the ball went off-script.