Testing

SamSpade

On almost every platform I participate on - the participants of the "Let's not open yet" and "If you (break some COVID-19 order) you're selfish and want people to die" group have latched onto the idea that somehow, increased testing is the best solution.

I cannot see how that does anything long term. A test taken this morning might not be valid this afternoon. Some of the testing isn't 100% reliable - some of the anti-body tests are only 50/50.

What is so promising about increased testing? So far, all I've been able to ascertain is, we've found a LOT of people who are testing positive but are otherwise not symptomatic. What's the point in that?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
On almost every platform I participate on - the participants of the "Let's not open yet" and "If you (break some COVID-19 order) you're selfish and want people to die" group have latched onto the idea that somehow, increased testing is the best solution.

Yep the new Progressive Virtue Signal - and NOT wearing a mask

SamSpade

I suppose what's bothering me is the constant drumbeat of "conservatives don't believe in science".

Well hell, I have a few problems with that, despite having a background in science - one is an article I read just recently DEFENDING the normal scientific concept of the fact that today's conjectures may become tomorrow's theories - or tomorrow's myths. Science evolves - it seeks the truth, not dogma. A good read of the history of science shows how what was believed to be de facto truth even a generation or so ago is often found later to be false.

So the article went on to tell the public - so? - we won't always get it right. That's the way it works. Great. But it's not how public policy works when it is based on your latest hypothesis. Try working with no pay for the next several months while you refine your search for the truth - and you'll know how most of the rest of us feel about it. For people with no skin in the game, it's always someone else's problem.

But the other is - we have TONS and TONS of regs and executive orders based on no science whatsoever. They just "seem" right to the people passing them, but there's no scientific evidence to back it up. Heck, does a face covering not designed for healthcare workers do a damned thing? Does a plexiglass screen at the store actually protect anyone? This stuff passes by droplets in the air - do they always take the shortest path from source to target? Does the droplet say "oops, didn't see the barrier SPLAT"? Is there any science to "six feet"? The CDC just declared that COVID-19 does NOT survive long on surfaces - and yet people are trying to sanitize and sterilize everything. Does that actually DO anything?

In short - IS this science - or just the good advice of a scientist who actually hasn't proved anything? You know, when I buy something online, I look at a lot of reviews of people who have BOUGHT AND USED it - not people who just think it will work.

It's not that I "don't believe science". It's that I want to see proof before I sacrifice my first born.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I see the same. The "we're not open for visitors in our home, yet" people. And the "It's about honoring the 100,000 deaths" (by wearing the masks in public because you might be asymptomatic and spreading it to vulnerable people".

Meanwhile, we took a road trip Saturday for the weekend, and while we didn't say where we went -I showed some pics of "social distancing" at the hotel, the restaurants (outdoor seating) on the boardwalk and the ocean/beach. No comments from those people. :sshrug:

BUT, at least ONE of those people traveled from southern Maryland to a place in northern/western Maryland to "social distance" hike at a park with another side of their family. Soo, what's the difference?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I suppose what's bothering me is the constant drumbeat of "conservatives don't believe in science".

Nope Climate Science IS SETTLED ........ if you don't believe in the Global Climate Warming Change - YOU Hate the Earth and Want People to Die

Well hell, I have a few problems with that, despite having a background in science - one is an article I read just recently DEFENDING the normal scientific concept of the fact that today's conjectures may become tomorrow's theories - or tomorrow's myths. Science evolves - it seeks the truth, not dogma. A good read of the history of science shows how what was believed to be de facto truth even a generation or so ago is often found later to be false.

Nope Climate Change is a CULT RELIGION

Does a plexiglass screen at the store actually protect anyone?

Probably not, but at least you are not sneezing on them directly

The CDC just declared that COVID-19 does NOT survive long on surfaces - and yet people are trying to sanitize and sterilize everything.

I saw ANOTHER Article ... Tuesday I think re-reevaluating that statement ...... the CDC is back to ' now maybe it does '

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Written by a family member, to a family member:

Regarding taking COVID seriously enough. I'm not sure where you think I actually go. The science has told us we can have a trusted group of friends to gather with. I am okay with XXX and XXX and XXX and XXX and you. It is absolutely your prerogative if we are not part of your trusted group of friends. I believe in the severity of CV but I also believe is the virus that has ravaged the world isn't just a virus anymore. It has become a political tool that instead of making us all work together is just another reason to divide us politically. If I think people want to go back to work then I support Trump. If I think people should stay home then I must be a bleeding heart Democrat. There is nothing in between anymore. I am quite tired of the news that I watch. I'm growing weary of the news and the media. I'm tired of being schooled like a child by the media on how I should behave. Being tired of it does not make me careless. It makes me tired. I guess it was only a matter of time that since we are again divided as a nation that it should start dividing families. Whether it is true or not, every thing the media reports is politically driven. I am 1000% tired of it. Just because the stores open doesn't mean I have to go to them. As thinking humans we should all have a choice about what we do. You made your choice. I don't like people, you or anyone else, trying to impose their will over me and trying to play on my sympathies that I am less of a human for thinking the way I do about things. I am not the "bad guy" or a person who doesn't care about people. I'm simply tired of the unabashed hatred circulating through our society.
Because the democratic party has already told me, I am a bigot, a woman hater, a guy hater and a person who has no regard for society only because I think maybe we should open up the economy. I don't have to engage in any of it. It is my choice.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Hijinx

Has anyone ever thought that people who are testing positive for the virus,but are not Asymtomatic really don't have the virus and the test sucks? If you have no symptoms why is it assumed because of the test that you have the virus?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I cannot see how that does anything long term. A test taken this morning might not be valid this afternoon. Some of the testing isn't 100% reliable - some of the anti-body tests are only 50/50.

What is so promising about increased testing? So far, all I've been able to ascertain is, we've found a LOT of people who are testing positive but are otherwise not symptomatic. What's the point in that?

The durhards saw people on the TV say we need more testing, and because they are stupid and they think the TV person is smart they decided to take up that talking point in hopes that they too would sound smart.

Masks, testing, lockdowns....the bots are just parroting what they hear their masters say. If you question them about it they become agitated and their wiring starts to fry.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But the other is - we have TONS and TONS of regs and executive orders based on no science whatsoever. They just "seem" right to the people passing them, but there's no scientific evidence to back it up. Heck, does a face covering not designed for healthcare workers do a damned thing? Does a plexiglass screen at the store actually protect anyone? This stuff passes by droplets in the air - do they always take the shortest path from source to target? Does the droplet say "oops, didn't see the barrier SPLAT"? Is there any science to "six feet"? The CDC just declared that COVID-19 does NOT survive long on surfaces - and yet people are trying to sanitize and sterilize everything. Does that actually DO anything?

Don't forget, "Sunlight kills the virus, so everybody stay inside!"

itsbob

I bowl overhand

How much of it is a waste of time and resources.. people lined up for hours in parking lots that don't have symptoms, have never had symptoms, but by God, it's free, they MUST have it done!!

Now how many people are involved in the testing that could be doing something else??

PsyOps

Pixelated
Week 4 - Don't wear masks. It doesn't stop the virus from spreading
Week 8 - Everyone wear a mask. We really don't know why, but wear them. Oh, they can be pantyhose as far as we're concerned.

Week 6 - We are mandating social distancing of 6 feet. No cough or sneeze can launch farther than that.
Week 12 - We have determined that some forceful coughs and sneezes can launch upwards of 18 feet. That is now our social distancing standard.
Week 13 - Okay, we were wrong. All the stores have already spent money on floor placards of 6 feet. So, distance at 6 feet.

Week 4 - Stick a cotton swab all the way down your throat to get a valid test.
Week 16 - You don't have to gag everyone. Just get a snot sample from the edge of someone's nose.
Week 20 - Here, spit in this tube.

Week 3 - Our models indicate that millions in the US will die.
Week 7 - Our models now show it will be in the hundreds of thousands.
Week 12 - Our models now show we have no clue how many will dies, but it won't be anywhere near what we have previously predicted

Week 21 - CDC reports it's unlikely COVID can be transmitted from surfaces.
Week 22 - CDC reports COVID can be transmitted from surfaces.

:crazy:

I'm going to Walmart just because.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I sneezed - LOUDLY - at Aldi's yesterday. The check out chick commented that no one was giving me the stink eye since I had my bandana on. :lol:

GregV814

I don’t know if any of you ever gave a second thought about the Center for Science in the Public Interest, but in 1971, two airhead Ralph Nader nerds started it. They were heralded by the wacky hippies as “know all’s“ about coconut oil, eggs, and instant death if you ate anything or breathed air! Ah, the beginning and infancy of our Progressives!!
And we believe them now???

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
What is so promising about increased testing?
Testing is a good thing, but mostly for research purposes. It has little value as far as the "open v lock-down" debate goes.

Glad you brought this up!

If one is interested in logical fallacies "conservatives don't believe in science" or "follow the science" falls under the category of an informal fallacy error of the persuasive definition type (if I remember correctly). Meaning "science" is being used in a way that actually isn't its actual (classic) definition.

"Science" is best defined: "The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena" (note the PRIMARY definition in the screenshot).

So, for someone to say "conservatives don't believe in science" or "follow the science" what they're actually saying is "conservatives don't believe in in a process" and "follow the process." Dumb, b/c at the logic level these critiques are nonsensical. But....

What they're really trying to do is intimidate. "Science" allows for conversation; how the word is being used today doesn't.

Bottom line, "science" is all about a process that advances explanations of reality and then adjusts those explanations as more data comes to light. But "science" is NOT reality. We know this because I don't think anyone can point out anything where what was said in the past hasn't been adjusted (or tossed out!) at some point. And what we think we know now will certainly be refuted at some point in the future. In other words, there is no such thing as "the science is settled."

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Week 4 - Don't wear masks. It doesn't stop the virus from spreading

:crazy:

I'm going to Walmart just because.

WATCH: Fauci In March: Masks Make You ‘Feel A Little Bit Better,’ But Unnecessary For General Population, Warns Of ‘Unintended Consequences’

“When it comes to preventing coronavirus, public health officials have been clear: Healthy people do not need to wear a face mask to protect themselves from COVID-19,” CBS News reported March 8, concerning the Fauci interview.

“There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask,” the infectious disease expert told “60 Minutes.”

“While masks may block some droplets, Fauci said, they do not provide the level of protection people think they do,” CBS News reported at the time. “Wearing a mask may also have unintended consequences: People who wear masks tend to touch their face more often to adjust them, which can spread germs from their hands.”

GregV814

L/R, I am disappointed at this! It’ll cause traffic to slow, point and leave small monuments to be placed in the evergreen cement topping! Get ahold of yourself man!!