Texas Boosts Speed Limit to 80 MPH...

mainman

Set Trippin
Yeehaw! Texans who brag they do things bigger and better now can go faster too.

State transportation officials on Thursday boosted speed limits on two stretches of rural highway from 75mph (121kph) to 80mph (129kph) -- the United States's highest posted speed limit.

More speed signs will be changed in the next few days in 10 mostly rural counties in West Texas: a 695km stretch of Interstate 10 between El Paso and Kerrville, and 143km of Interstate 20 between Monahans and the I-10 interchange at the cusp of the Jeff Davis Mountains.
Full story below...

http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/&articleid=272791

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:lmao: I thought something was funny when the article posted the speeds and distances in kilometers!(kph and km)

An African online newspaper reporting the new raise in speed limits in Texas?

BTW, Fox News had it on their early morning show today.

Maryland did this a long time ago. Did you ever drive on Rt. 210?

If you really want to have a good time sit on 210 when the Mason Springs BarBque is open and the Crotch rocket riders crank up going back to DC.

bohman

I thought Montana actually had a few highways where you could go faster than 85 (legally)?

dustin

UAIOE
bohman said:
I thought Montana actually had a few highways where you could go faster than 85 (legally)?
not anymore from what i hear.

one would think there would be some opposition to raising the speed limit due to the higher gas prices. what is it... like...55 or 60mph... is the best speed to mpg ratio due to aerodynamic drag and frontal pressures?

on i side note i wish NC and VA would raise the speed limits on US 17 down here from 55 to 65. :ohwell:

dustin

UAIOE
ah..here it is in that article...

As for those high gasoline costs, the Department of Energy says that gas mileage decreases rapidly after 60mph (97kph). The government estimates that every 5mph (8kph) over 60mph is like paying an extra 20 cents per gallon (3,8 litres) for gas.

Tidewater

dustin said:
ah..here it is in that article...
-----------------------

As for those high gasoline costs, the Department of Energy says that gas mileage decreases rapidly after 60mph (97kph). The government estimates that every 5mph (8kph) over 60mph is like paying an extra 20 cents per gallon (3,8 litres) for gas.

Now at the prices we are payin' for gas now, that ought to slow some of the speed demons down a tad. :biggrin:

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Tidewater said:
Now at the prices we are payin' for gas now, that ought to slow some of the speed demons down a tad. :biggrin:
Don't count on it.

I found I got far better gas milage out of my truck, 5.4liter Ford, when I stayed at 70-85mph rather than 55mph.

Gas milage over a thousand mile trip down... 55-70mph (13.5-15.1).

Gas milage over the same thousand miles back.... 65-85mph (14.4-16.8).

Much better time and saved gas. :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

dustin said:
not anymore from what i hear.

one would think there would be some opposition to raising the speed limit due to the higher gas prices. what is it... like...55 or 60mph... is the best speed to mpg ratio due to aerodynamic drag and frontal pressures?

on i side note i wish NC and VA would raise the speed limits on US 17 down here from 55 to 65. :ohwell:

Do you travel any of 85? Are they still doing construction? Everytime I've been to Thomasville to visit family it has been and that has been over 15 years now!!

willie

Quote:
That will apply to a vehicle shaped like a Yukon/Tahoe but for most modern passenger cars not shaped like a cinder block, mpg is less affected with better aerodynamics. Some Corvette owners argue that the Vette is more efficient at 80-90 mph.