Texas hospital reportedly bars obese workers

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Texas Hospital Reportedly Bars Obese Workers -- And It Might Be Legal | Fox News

Not everything should be bigger in Texas.

A Texas hospital has reportedly instituted a hiring policy barring potential employees who are obese -- and officials at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission tell FoxNews.com that the practice is not explicitly discriminatory.

The policy, which was instituted last year at the Citizens Medical Center in Victoria, requires potential employees to have a body mass index of less than 35. That equates to roughly 210 pounds for someone who is 5 feet, 5 inches tall or 245 pounds for someone who is 5 feet, 10 inches, the Texas Tribune reports.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Texas Hospital Reportedly Bars Obese Workers -- And It Might Be Legal | Fox News

Not everything should be bigger in Texas.

A Texas hospital has reportedly instituted a hiring policy barring potential employees who are obese -- and officials at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission tell FoxNews.com that the practice is not explicitly discriminatory.

The policy, which was instituted last year at the Citizens Medical Center in Victoria, requires potential employees to have a body mass index of less than 35. That equates to roughly 210 pounds for someone who is 5 feet, 5 inches tall or 245 pounds for someone who is 5 feet, 10 inches, the Texas Tribune reports.

I heard this on the radio this morning and I am a little torn..for one, hospital workers have an abnormally high rate of obesesity, its always been that way. And if they want ot project an image of health, having some huge slovenly obese person as your interaction with patients isn't the best look..not to mention being a cna as I was, is a really physically demanding job..I still have back issues from pushing, pulling, and lifting patients on a daily basis, and 12-16 hours on my feet..and I had obese coworkers who were lazy and left things undone because they were too fat to do it. however, I don't know if BMI is the way to do it..but they put the cutoff at 35..which is high..so I am not quite sure how I feel about it. I think they can do whatever they want, of course, and I for sure know where they are coming from...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good. If they're going to discriminate against smokers, they should discriminate against the fatties as well.