Tgif!

Cowgirl

Morning everyone! :howdy: Anybody going to the all-day horse conference tomorrow at Anne Arundel Comm. College? I signed up through work..and they paid for it...so i have to go. I wish I hadn't signed up.....oh well. Should be fun I guess!

smoothmarine187

Cowgirl said:
Morning everyone! :howdy: Anybody going to the all-day horse conference tomorrow at Anne Arundel Comm. College?

Is Mister Ed going to be there? Thats the only horse I know of that can talk.......

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
smoothmarine187 said:
Is Mister Ed going to be there? Thats the only horse I know of that can talk.......

I think Mr. Ed is retired, I think really retired!! But horses do have a language and are pretty good with communicated it. LOL :howdy:

Cowgirl

:lmao: No horses there (that I know of)...it's a conference that's sponsored by the University of MD...There are 4 different sessions during the day that talk about different management topics. Sounds pretty informative...I just have to wake up toooo early! :yawn:

Cowgirl

Ok, so went to the conference yesterday. It was great. Don Blazer was the keynote speaker...he was great to listen to. I went to a poisonous plant seminar...did you know that a single mouthful of a yew plant can kill a horse in 5 minutes?!! And horses apparently like the taste of yew. :jameo:

Dreamer

I am not Winn Dixie
persimmoncf said:
what the heck is a yew? And what do yew look like? :lmao:

Isn't Cowgirl's avatar a yew? :lmao: Oh, my mistake, that's a ewe! :howdy: :killingme

Seriously, here is the info:

Description. These plants are landscape shrubs with small, narrow, strap-like evergreen leaves that are two-ranked along the stem. The leaves taper bluntly to a point. The fleshy fruit (known as an aril) turns red when ripe.
Exposure. Animals gain access when trimmed hedges or shrubs are carelessly cast into pastures or when animals escape into landscaped areas.
Toxic principle. Taxine alkaloids (A and B) are believed to inhibit depolarization in the heart. The whole plant, except for the red aril (fruit), is toxic.
Toxicity. This plant is highly toxic to herbivores. As little as 6-8 ounces of fresh yew may kill an adult cow or horse.
Diagnosis. Acute onset and sudden death are common. Often animals are found dead with no premonitory signs.
Clinical signs: trembling, muscle weakness, dyspnea, and collapse are cardinal clinical signs. Arrhythmia, bradycardia, and diastolic heart block appear to be the cause of death.

Last edited:

Cowgirl

Dreamer said:
Isn't Cowgirl's avatar a yew? :lmao: Oh, my mistake, that's a ewe! :howdy: :killingme

:lmao: Actually, that is my beloved wether (castrated male), Eli. He has little sheepy wings and a halo now. :ohwell:

Anyways...here's a yew.
yew1.jpg

The lecturer said there was a big horse farm (very fancy) in Montgomery County that had two huge yews on either side of the barn entrance. They knew how poisonous they are..but they were "too pretty" to remove. :dork:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Cowgirl said:
:lmao: Actually, that is my beloved wether (castrated male), Eli. He has little sheepy wings and a halo now. :ohwell:

Anyways...here's a yew.
yew1.jpg

The lecturer said there was a big horse farm (very fancy) in Montgomery County that had two huge yews on either side of the barn entrance. They knew how poisonous they are..but they were "too pretty" to remove. :dork:

We had a beautiful bush at the side of our house and I sometimes let my horses run around the yard, needless to say as soon as I found out the bush was removed.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Cowgirl said:

Anyways...here's a yew.
yew1.jpg

Thank you for the info. We don't have any of them but if we did it would become a burning bush...literaly