Thanks to Homeland Security we're safe from the Magic Cube

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Homeland Security Agents Chase Down Toy Knockoffs

Stephanie Cox didn't think she was harboring any terrorist toys when she got a call from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

The agents weren't after sleeper cells. It turns out, the agents wanted toys. Specifically, a toy called the Magic Cube, which the agents said was an illegal copy of one of the most popular toys of all time -- the Rubik's Cube.

The store's owner Stephanie Cox was told to remove all of the offending cubes from her shelves. She did -- as they stood by watching.

After the agents left, Cox called the manufacturer of the Magic Cube, the Toysmith Group, which is based in Auburn, Wash. A representative told her that Rubik's Cube patent had expired, and the Magic Cube did not infringe on the rival toy's trademark.

Should Homeland Security investigate in toy-knockoffs? <--- Vote in the poll.

K

Kain99

That's the story they gave her but for all we know, the Magic Cubes profits were going to fund Terrorists or even worse the cube could have contained biological agents that could have poisioned us all! :otter:

I voted No anyway......

I just can't allow myself to believe that Homeland could be so fricking stupid.

SurfaceTension

FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) is now part of the Department Homeland Security too...Expect stories of HS "agents" shaking down flood-plain residents to purchase flood insurance, "instead of fighting terrorist"

The Coast Guard is part of HS as well....next time the Coast Guard does a boat check on the Bay, ask them if they don't have anything better to do, like hunting terrorist, instead of hassling you.

A perfect example of media spin to titillate, rather then inform, its readers.

Last edited:

Warron

I wasn't aware that a government agent could just walk into a store and order the owner/operator to take products off the shelf do to patent imfringment. Shouldn't such things be handled throught the courts by civil complaint? No information was given about the existance of a court order in the linked article, but that doesn't mean their wasn't one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't believe that story for one minute. Does anyone honestly think Homeland Security is going to investigate a trademark violation? And force a merchant to remove the product from their shelves while they stand guard?

If this were true, it would be happening all over the US, not just this one store. I hardly think this particular toy store is the exclusive distributor for the cube.

:rolleyes: