Thanksgiving Dinner

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Ok, had enough of the politics for a while. Time to talk about food.

Just took a turkey out of the freezer. I got it back in 2020 druing a pandemic buying spree, so it's time to use it. Too big for just me, so going to let it thaw a bit and cut it in half. Plan is to brine/marinate on Wen, then a quick smoke and finish on the grill on Thursday.

Found a recipe for cannoli filling that I want to try, bought a package of cannoli shells. Also have a punkin pie to thaw. I'd make one, but mine just never come out the way I like. My holy grail would be one as good as Entenmanns, but they just aren't available here anymore, and I didn't get back to NY for a supplies run this year.

Still working on the sides.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One of my sworn oaths to myself when I was a child was that when I was a grownup and in charge of my own feeding, I'd make GBC whenever I wanted it and not just at Thanksgiving. My first husband was in complete agreement with that, so we had GBC frequently when we were young married people.

We eventually got over it, but it's still comforting to know that if I get a hankering for GBC I can make it and not have to wait for a holiday. Same with roast turkey.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Just made the stuffed ham, it turned out pretty good. If you get the corned ham from Weis be warned they are saltier than the ones McKays sold so adjust accordingly.

C57F7B65-7B9D-4186-B814-ECD7BCD0571E.jpeg
A19F8CAE-7B73-4CA7-91E1-097ABE279552.jpeg

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I ordered a turkey from a Mennonite farmer on Loveville Road to pick up on Wednesday. We've never had anything but grocery store birds. I am anxious to see if there is a difference.
Everyone I've talked to has said that fresh local turkeys are so much better, that they don't think they will ever buy turkey from the store again. :yay:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I ordered a turkey from a Mennonite farmer on Loveville Road to pick up on Wednesday. We've never had anything but grocery store birds. I am anxious to see if there is a difference.
I've always wanted a fresh bird, just never got my act in gear to source one in time.

Blister

I've always wanted a fresh bird, just never got my act in gear to source one in time.
I just stopped by on Friday to order. The bird will be 18-20 lbs live weight. A little bigger than I wanted, but we will freeze some meat and the carcass to make soup when it really gets cold.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
One of my sworn oaths to myself when I was a child was that when I was a grownup and in charge of my own feeding, I'd make GBC whenever I wanted it and not just at Thanksgiving. My first husband was in complete agreement with that, so we had GBC frequently when we were young married people.

We eventually got over it, but it's still comforting to know that if I get a hankering for GBC I can make it and not have to wait for a holiday. Same with roast turkey.
GBC isn't one of my favs, and I won't make it anyway! :lol:

But I do like turkey legs done on the grill, and a turkey breast on the rotisserie throughout the year.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Mmm, that looks good. Hey you have JA Henckels knives too, mine are the Five Star series. Where do you get them sharpened at?
This is where I took them last, but it’s been a while.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Son bought 2 doz baby chicks from Tractor Supply in the spring.

One ended up being a turkey.

The plan was to have him for Thanksgiving dinner this year. But, he has become a pet, which doesn't surprise me.

He has the sweetest little whistle, and comes running for a pet, or pick up, whenever we walk out there.