that horse is out of her league

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
So I have a friend/ person I mentor horse-wise that recently got a horse... not just any horse but a just turning 3, fresh off the track Tb mare. Really nice looking (from the pics), and has a banging pedigree.

I'm sure it doesn't sound too bad, other then that the person has really only rode at a camp for 2 weeks once a year, for the last 3 years. The person has come over my house several times to get horse experience, helped me clean stalls and other "fun" stuff in exchange for some riding time. The horse the person rode is my calmest one, and we kept it at a walk and trot, because the person would become unseated and scare me silly, the whole time not "reading" the horse and I would have to holler that the horse needs a half halt or hes going to start cantering... the same goes out in the field with the horses, I have to warn the person that this horse fights with this horse, so watch out... then again I have to holler to watch out (because the person's hanging all over the horse) just in the nick of time.
I think the main problem is that this person doesn't "fear" the horse, thinks they are big puppy dogs... Also doesn't help that the person sees me hanging all over my guys, but I can read my horses, and I do have the ounce of fear that gives me respect for horses...

So my main thing is that I'm really worried about this person, and I'm not sure how to tell them that "this is a bad, bad, BAD, idea" without hurting their feelings, or getting them mad at me. I'm also skeptical about the person who "gave" them this perfectly healthy, nicely bred TB mare, for free, and will pay for board if they pay for some of the grain... also the person told me something about his ( the previous owners) training "technique" of evaluating a new rider to a horse, that made me horrified (it really isn't THAT bad, but i would NEVER do it) and that the person was completely ok with the "technique"...
I really don't want to see this person get "burned"... i would love nothing more to see them excel in riding and have their own horse... but I don't think this is the proper way to go. Does my worries sound justified?

queenpwb

I know!!! Im think that guy is thinking " tell her its hers and when she "trains" her, I will sell her. A racehorse is so not for a beginner. And like you said I have no idea how to tell her.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
I know!!! Im think that guy is thinking " tell her its hers and when she "trains" her, I will sell her. A racehorse is so not for a beginner. And like you said I have no idea how to tell her.

I'm going over tomorrow to see the horse, I'm hoping the guy is over there so I can ask some serious questions...as long as I don't know him, and If he seems shady, I don't mind being a b*tch and asking personnel questions, if the need be...

devinej

the way you put it, you are definitely right to be worried about your friend. If it were me, I'd tell them point blank that for their own safety, its a terrible idea. they should hire a trainer or send the horse back. For the horse's benefit too, it needs to be in experienced hands so it can have a chance at a good life. Its very easy to screw up a young OTTB mare.

And to the guy that gave them the horse: i dont think you need to be a b*tch, just use your sense of logic and responsibility towards people and horses, explain to him just how green the person is and why they have no business with a 3yo ottb mare.

Last edited:

FED_UP

I'm going over tomorrow to see the horse, I'm hoping the guy is over there so I can ask some serious questions...as long as I don't know him, and If he seems shady, I don't mind being a b*tch and asking personnel questions, if the need be...

Most women are quite good at that :killingme

fredsaid2

the way you put it, you are definitely right to be worried about your friend. If it were me, I'd tell them point blank that for their own safety, its a terrible idea. they should hire a trainer or send the horse back. For the horse's benefit too, it needs to be in experienced hands so it can have a chance at a good life. Its very easy to screw up a young OTTB mare.

And to the guy that gave them the horse: i dont think you need to be a b*tch, just use your sense of logic and responsibility towards people and horses, explain to him just how green the person is and why they have no business with a 3yo ottb mare.

What Devine said. Offer your opinion if it's asked otherwise you may have to let it go. You could recommend a good trainer for the horse and the rider.

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
It really depends on the horse's disposition. The nice thing about OTTBs is that they are pretty bomb-proof when they come off the track.

I have a hot-hot thoroughbred and have had a really hard time with him, but I have ridden a ton of OTTBs and have found that he is the exception.

I also have seen people get OTTBs that were beginner riders and had nice easy trail horses. And age really has nothing to do with it, our quietest horse is the youngest pony and she has been that way since she was 3.

There are thoroughbreds on every part of the temperament scale. I would suggest that this person invest in themselves and seek the advice someone better than them and get weekly lessons, and get advice from that person on if the horse is a match. Everyone gets lessons and advice and input even the advanced event riders. Its a smart investment.

SugarNSpikes

That's a difficult situation. I would be worried too, but beginners in general worry me.

I mean, on one hand, you offer your opinion in a friendly way and it backfires horribly and then they just think you're a terrible person.

On the other, maybe it would be an eye opener?

I'd be willing to bet on the the first... People don't like to be told that they're wrong.

I was horribly offended when someone told me that I shouldn't have bought my horse after going out there only once and bought him two days later after one ride and a vet check. I look back and I'm very thankful that I got so lucky to have the best boy in the world.

If they ask for your opinion, give it in a delicate way and say that because the horse is so young and OTT, you recommend they take lessons from a trainer and give them the names of some people you trust. Whether they take lessons or not, it's in their hands but you can give them the option.

I hope that everything works out for them and for the best possible outcome for your friend! :)