That proposed Missouri law requiring residents own an AR-15

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
While Guns.com notes that several cities have mandatory firearm ownership measures on the books, it's worth noting that Daniel put forward the two measures as part of an explicit ploy by the Republican lawmakers to "bait the left" on issues of gun control, according to The Washington Post:

As the AR-15 became a flash point in the response to the terrorist violence in New Zealand, McDaniel's legislation emerged from the obscurity of Missouri's legislative docket. Neither measure has been scheduled for a hearing.
Nevertheless, television stations in Kansas City, Mo., grew interested in the eponymous bills. Reports appeared in newspapers in St. Louis and Tulsa. The conservative website the Daily Caller weighed in. So did Splinter News, from the other end of the ideological spectrum.
Soon, McDaniel was forced to clarify that he didn't — technically speaking — support his own bills, at least not as written.
He wants the tax credits for firearms purchases, but that part about requiring everyone to own a gun? It was a tactic to try to bait the left.
"I wanted the media and the other side to jump on it, to show that our Second Amendment rights are under attack," McDaniel said. "I don't actually support mandates, hardly ever."

https://taskandpurpose.com/missouri-ar-15-ownership-mandate

black dog

Free America
I support freedom of choice, I don't want to own one of those pieces of crap!
I'm glad your not making firearm choices for our Armed Services my family and myself. There is a reason it's been a huge platform for the last 60+ years and still going strong, and being a piece of crap ain't the reason.
It works and works accurately and reliably.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm glad your not making firearm choices for our Armed Services my family and myself. There is a reason it's been a huge platform for the last 60+ years and still going strong, and being a piece of crap ain't the reason.
Kind of depends on your purpose, it's fine for somethings and crappy for others. Sometimes a shotgun is appropriate, sometimes a pistol, on a very few an AR is the perfect choice.

black dog

Free America
Kind of depends on your purpose, it's fine for somethings and crappy for others. Sometimes a shotgun is appropriate, sometimes a pistol, on a very few an AR is the perfect choice.
Yeaaa no... A shotgun is for ducks and geese, a pistol is used to get to your rifle.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Yeaaa no... A shotgun is for ducks and geese, a pistol is used to get to your rifle.
You really think that a rifle is a better home defense weapon for Harry homeowner than a pistol or a shotgun? You're going to have to explain the logic of that one to me.

PeoplesElbow

I was being somewhat sarcastic, but I think they receive a little too much love just for the reasons of being able to accessorize so much.

I also think the Humvee is a piece of crap, but it doesn't mean it isn't the best solution for a large force with a ton of logistical support behind it, doesn't make it a good choice for the average person needing a vehicle.

In a house with 30 inch hallways I do not believe it is a good solution for home defense, not a good hunting rifle, that only leaves target shooting.

PeoplesElbow

You really think that a rifle is a better home defense weapon for Harry homeowner than a pistol or a shotgun? You're going to have to explain the logic of that one to me.
If you are shooting out of upstairs windows at an invading force trying to enter your house it would be pretty good.

black dog

Free America
I was being somewhat sarcastic, but I think they receive a little too much love just for the reasons of being able to accessorize so much.

I also think the Humvee is a piece of crap, but it doesn't mean it isn't the best solution for a large force with a ton of logistical support behind it, doesn't make it a good choice for the average person needing a vehicle.

In a house with 30 inch hallways I do not believe it is a good solution for home defense, not a good hunting rifle, that only leaves target shooting.
Because the world is full of 30" hallways. wtf... Come up with a better strawmen.
That platform works well in many many platforms. It can go from a 8 1/2" room clearing monster to death from 1,000 yards.
That why its still around.

black dog

Free America
Yes I certainly do, A double in the chest from a 223 / 5.56 and the fight is over, How often do folks get shot with pistol calibers multiple times and are able to still fight, run or get away?
Next would be H
how many rooms and buildings do you think the Marine Corps cleared in Afghanistan and Iraq?
Virtually no infantry grunt carries a sidearm. A 16" M4 gets it done, at home and across the big pond.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Yes I certainly do, A double in the chest from a 223 / 5.56 and the fight is over, How often do folks get shot with pistol calibers multiple times and are able to still fight, run or get away?
Next would be H
how many rooms and buildings do you think the Marine Corps cleared in Afghanistan and Iraq?
Virtually no infantry grunt carries a sidearm. A 16" M4 gets it done, at home and across the big pond.
Not nearly as often as you seem to think, but for home defense a shotgun is the weapon to use. 99% of the world are not prior marine able to get multiple shots off at an intruder, but a single 12 gauge blast gets a crapload of lead in at a single shot with practically no aiming (also not killing your kid in the next room).

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Let's turn this into a three-gun question!

What's your "Three Gun" setup?

--- End of line (MCP)

littlelady

God bless the USA
Let's turn this into a three-gun question!

What's your "Three Gun" setup?

--- End of line (MCP)

I am thinking it is not a good idea to discuss gun ownership on an internet website; otherwise, I would answer your question. Does x2 help?

black dog

Free America
Not nearly as often as you seem to think, but for home defense a shotgun is the weapon to use. 99% of the world are not prior marine able to get multiple shots off at an intruder, but a single 12 gauge blast gets a crapload of lead in at a single shot with practically no aiming (also not killing your kid in the next room).
You just might want to shoot that shotgun at a target 8' away and see how tight that cylinder choke really still is across a bedroom.
And then shoot it through a few sheets of drywall, after that 000 goes through a few sheets of sheet rock it definitely will still kill your kid.
The facts are strait forward, any bullet that will do its job with an intruder will also kill your kid, wither it be a shotgun tossing an oz+ to a 158 grain 357 Magnum and full metal jacket rifle ammo. but a 55 grain 223 hunting bullet will travel much less through household walls than a shotgun or a handgun round.
Thats one of the big reasons that the LE SWAT boys are changing over to AR's or M16's with rifle ammo using HP or hunting ammo over submachine guns using pistol ammunition. Lightweight and fast hunting / varmint bullets fragment and loose velocity rapidly when they have struck something.
You are locked in a paradigm of the past. An AR or rifle in 223 is the stopper needed in a room and the safest for those in the next room and beyond.