That "Uh Oh" Moment...

lucky_bee

RBF expert
my uh oh is when I get home and pull into the garage only to hear that BEEP......BEEP....BEEP... from a fridge/freezer that is way over it's desired temp because my step son left the freezer drawer open after helping himself to ice cream that wasn't his.

TWICE in one summer :strangle::bonk::bawl:

I'd like to get a new teenager.

limblips

PREMO Member
Don't know the situation now but not long ago there was an 8-10 month lead time on fridge/freezers.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Don't know the situation now but not long ago there was an 8-10 month lead time on fridge/freezers.
Ahhh... an extra fridge/freezer. SMORT.
I have a 22cf fridge/freezer in the garage, a drink fridge in the kitchen, an 18cf upright freezer and a 3.5cf freezer I use for camping in the basement. Had enough room in those to relocate everything.

I have enough time to search for one.

SandieGarry

If you're kinda handy, you may be able to fix it yourself. I fixed mine this past spring for about $550 in parts. Youtube is your friend.

SandieGarry

I saved the money and found an online help service for less than $50. The tech walked me through it and figured out what was wrong. I actually bought a used motherboard off ebay. Works great.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
From the sound change, pretty sure it's the compressor. And since it's one of those new Wankel rotary compressors, I really don't want to deal with it.

Grumpy

Youtube is your friend.
^that...Over the past 10 years, I have fixed my fridge, washer, dryer, oven, cars, lawn equipment, TVs, well issues and other things via youtube. Parts wise, I think I spent over $100 to fix something once, everything else has been $50 or less. It's not that I'm cheap, I look at these things as a challenge. I absolutely love YT for troubleshooting problems and it has saved me a ton over the years.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It's not that I'm cheap, I look at these things as a challenge.
That used to be me, and for anyone that reads my posts, you know I'm more than handy. But age has a habit of taking the fun out of everything. My knees are so bad right now I couldn't be on the floor long enough to take the covers off.

You want a challenge? :popcorn:

Grumpy

That used to be me, and for anyone that reads my posts, you know I'm more than handy. But age has a habit of taking the fun out of everything. My knees are so bad right now I couldn't be on the floor long enough to take the covers off.
My comment wasn't aimed at you, I know you are well versed on all things innerwebz-wise and very handy. Gee, you must be old.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I went into my freezer for some ice cream after supper tonight and noticed it wasn't nearly as "frozen" as it usually is, so I've put a fridge thermometer in the refrigerator to see if that's okay. I just fileted 40 perch and would hate to lose them after spending an hour and a half working on them. Were there any solar flares today.

SandieGarry

My fridge started with the freezer not freezing. I pulled the back cover off and searched youtube. Found out it was a control box on the compressor. I called Tribles. I could wait 4 days and pick it up in Waldorf or drive to Upper Marlboro for same day pick up. I also noticed the fan blade that blows on the compressor had deteriorated. Once I put the new parts on, still nothing. Found an online help center that for less than $30 you speak to a repair tech. He had me check things and found out it was the main circuit board. I ordered a used one from ebay and my fridge is working great. I also did the same thing for my Transit van. Turns out it was the ABS module.