The 10 most famous people from history

Who would you think would be on that list. Let's define it as the 10 people who would be recognized by name by the most people alive today (through the world). So, if you mentioned their name people would recognize it and be able to tell you some small bit about them. For instance, that Julius Caesar was a leader of Rome or that Adolf Hitler was a leader of Germany or the guy from WWII or whatever. And let's not include anyone that is still alive so as to minimize the current celebrity aspect of the consideration.

Who you got? Top 10, or top 5 or top 3 if you prefer?

Freefaller

Who would you think would be on that list. Let's define it as the 10 people who would be recognized by name by the most people alive today (through the world). So, if you mentioned their name people would recognize it and be able to tell you some small bit about them. For instance, that Julius Caesar was a leader of Rome or that Adolf Hitler was a leader of Germany or the guy from WWII or whatever. And let's not include anyone that is still alive so as to minimize the current celebrity aspect of the consideration.

Top 3 (No judgement )

1. George Washington

2. Adolph Hitler

3. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Larry Gude

Strung Out
1. Hitler. Summary; GOP nominee for President of the United States of America. Seems to have lost the mustache

2. Mohamed. The prophet. The icon of peace. Mantra; 'we can all get along and celebrate our difference peacefully...as long as we do things my way." D nominee for President of the United States of America. Lost the beard.

3. Gandhi; some ####ing dirty looking, harmless dude in a diaper. Looks like Ben Kingsley. Outlook on life; "You can get you way without violence by simply sitting there long enough and grossing enough people out."

4. Obama; First person of color to be President of the United States of America. Gives everyone the vague sense that he's in the closet and is gonna come out his last day in office.

5. Lincoln; freed the slaves, set the table for Obama. Renown theater critique

6. Elvis; The King

7. Mother Theresa; tender, loving advocate of misery and suffering

8. Stalin/Mao; Greatest Generation made the world safe for them to become all they could be.

9. Martin Luther King, Jr.; I have a dream

10. Mohamed Ali; The Greatest

Broke the rules on Barack because I think he will stand the test of time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jesus doesn't count because we're not sure he existed as what we think of.

Most historians agree that Jesus was a real person. Whether or not he was the Son of God is another matter.

But I have no interest in arguing about this, so don't be offended if you respond in that vein and I ignore you.

PeoplesElbow

I would say Henry VIII, Julius Caesar, Charlemagne, Gengis Khan, and George W Bush probably belong in there somewhere.

Larry - You include Mohamed but not Jesus?

EDIT: Okay, I saw your follow up. It's probably fair to say that we don't really know if anyone from far off history existed as what we think. We only know what history that's been handed down for centuries tells us. But I don't think there's much doubt that the Jesus we're referring to existed. Was he the son of God? That's not the issue, people may have very different thoughts on who he was and what he represented. But for our purposes here that person is quite famous I think, whoever he was and whether or not much of what has been said of him is accurate.

EDIT 2: Also, Stalin and Mao are different people. :lol:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Larry - You include Mohamed but not Jesus?

EDIT: Okay, I saw your follow up. It's probably fair to say that we don't really know if anyone from far off history existed as what we think. We only know what history that's been handed down for centuries tells us. But I don't think there's much doubt that the Jesus we're referring to existed. Was he the son of God? That's not the issue, people may have very different thoughts on who he was and what he represented. But for our purposes here that person is quite famous I think, whoever he was and whether or not much of what has been said of him is accurate.

EDIT 2: Also, Stalin and Mao are different people. :lol:

Is VERY much the issue;

"Ok, who is Jesus?" "Son of god! Rose from the dead! White guy, blue eyes, about 6', 175, good looking, long hair, yellow crocs...."

As I understand the expert arguments, we know Mohamed was a real person who did, basically, what history says. And we know there was very likely a charismatic Jewish teacher of that age but all the rest falls into the category of Allah, Buddha, and God; more about faith than actual historical figures.

Mao and Stalin are the same monster. god like mass murderers. I could not exclude them and I did not want to give them the dignity as individuals.

TheLibertonian

In no particular order, and assuming we're talking about countries with some level of public education

Jesus - The christian God
Buddha - The buddhist god.
Mohammad - THe muslim prophet
Hitler - Stupid mustache man who hates jews
Stalin - big mustache man
George Washington - Powder wig guy who invented america
Ghandi - Skinny diaper guy with glasses

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tell that to the trillions over the millennia who believe differently.

Right but the question wasn't about faith. If that was the question we could add Santa Claus who probably existed but not as the figure we think of.

Trillions??? Seriously?

TheLibertonian

Is VERY much the issue;

"Ok, who is Jesus?" "Son of god! Rose from the dead! White guy, blue eyes, about 6', 175, good looking, long hair, yellow crocs...."

As I understand the expert arguments, we know Mohamed was a real person who did, basically, what history says. And we know there was very likely a charismatic Jewish teacher of that age but all the rest falls into the category of Allah, Buddha, and God; more about faith than actual historical figures.

Mao and Stalin are the same monster. god like mass murderers. I could not exclude them and I did not want to give them the dignity as individuals.

That's not a bad point, TBH. If we're oging by "Who we can absolutely prove existed historically"

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Most historians agree that Jesus was a real person. Whether or not he was the Son of God is another matter.

But I have no interest in arguing about this, so don't be offended if you respond in that vein and I ignore you.

I'm not offended, at all. His question was "So, if you mentioned their name people would recognize it and be able to tell you some small bit about them."

Jesus probably existed but then it's a matter of faith as to telling something about them. I understood the question to be like Hitler, real person, real famous, did, in fact, do these things.

No offense taken at all.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's not a bad point, TBH. If we're oging by "Who we can absolutely prove existed historically"

I simply understood the question to be about really famous people and what they really did. If we're including faith then, Jesus, for sure. Buddha, Santa Claus, Big Foot, the Terminator, Super man, Bat man, and so forth.