The actual LAW on covering your license plates?

BernieP

Resident PIA
The County cop that gave me a warning did not quote a law but said they too closely resembled the anti-radar covers so they had to be removed.

well there you go, there is no anti radar cover. They can distort the image a red light or speed camera takes that would make the tag number hard to read.

But in the end it's up to the cop on the beat. The dark tinted windows are not legal and I see plenty of vehicles with not only the side but front and back windows almost blacked out.

slowlane

Obviously, this is not enforced that much or they'd be pulling over half the cars on the road. It's probably one of those, "I can cite you if I pull you over for a moving violation first" kind of things.

"Dr. Gridlock" Ron Shaffer, columnist in the Washington Post, wrote an entire column about this back in 1990s (sorry I did not save a copy). Plastic plate covers are intended only for use in dealer showrooms, and are illegal on the road. The owners obviously get them to evade identification by law enforcement. I have played vigilante on a few occasions and broken off a few yellow-tinted ones, which are brittle, when I was sure the owners weren't around. However, the gray and blue-tinted ones are sturdier and cannot be broken off. And yes, I have seen them on policemens' own cars, who should know better. I cannot understand why the law for years has seemingly never been enforced.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
There is also a law that requires your headlights to be on if your wipers are on. How often is that inforced?

I'd have to look, but I think it says LIGHTS, not headlights.. if it doesn't it should.

For example.. if you have DRLs those do not light your taillights. Headlights are on, but your taillights aren't. Great people coming at you can see you, but people coming from behind you can't.

ylexot

Super Genius
I'd have to look, but I think it says LIGHTS, not headlights.. if it doesn't it should.

For example.. if you have DRLs those do not light your taillights. Headlights are on, but your taillights aren't. Great people coming at you can see you, but people coming from behind you can't.

I'm pretty sure it says headlights. DRLs are not headlights. They run at a lower intensity.

D

dsparrow06

hell the cops don't even follow that law, in their official vehicle.

Nope, they don't. My husband can attest to that! A few weeks ago, my husband flashed his lights at someone in a plain vehicle to turn theirs on in the pouring rain - turns out it was a Base cop that tried giving my husband a ticket off-base. My husband told him he'll wait there for as long as it takes for a State Trooper to get to the scene to dispute. The Base cop just walked away and left. LOL!

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Does it produce a glare in the sunlight so you can't read it? :shrug:

No and other than replacing the clear covers when it looks somewhat worn, I've had zero issues the 6 years we've had them on our vehicles...

foodcritic

No and other than replacing the clear covers when it looks somewhat worn, I've had zero issues the 6 years we've had them on our vehicles...

The reality is IS that any cover is illegal. Sunny or rainy. However the reality is that most police don't/won't care unless it's conceals the plate. That said if you look at the MD vehicle law book it's 3" thick of "violations" so don't expect any police officer to know them all or really care until he needs to.

Just like anyone else we all have are pet peeves some go after speeders, tag covers, turn signals, tint etc. :buddies:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I have played vigilante on a few occasions and broken off a few yellow-tinted ones, which are brittle, when I was sure the owners weren't around.

You're an effing idiot.

Whether I agree with the plate cover law or not, I sure as hell am not going to put myself in a situation to get charged with destruction of property or getting my ass kicked by the vehicle's owner over a law that most cops don't even seem to care about.

jrmy1080

I've gotten a ticket for not having my front tag. and I've almost got a $500 fine for having 2 drivers licenses. one Arizona and one Maryland.