The American CowGirl

Pandora

In Memory
Connie Reeves
Legendary Texas cowgirl Connie Reeves, whose motto was "Always saddle your own horse" and who taught more than 30,000 girls to ride, has died at age 101 after being thrown from her favorite mount, officials at her ranch said on Wednesday.

Reeves died of cardiac arrest on Sunday at a San Antonio hospital about 10 days after being thrown from her favorite horse Dr Pepper, according to Waldemar Camp for Girls, a ranch about 70 miles northwest of San Antonio where Reeves taught riding.

"Texas lost one of its treasures today. A legendary woman with the strength and character as big as the state she lived in for almost 102 years," the camp said on its Web site.

Reeves taught riding for more than 70 years. Along with lessons on horsemanship, Reeves taught self-reliance -- hence her motto: "Always saddle your own horse."

Reeves was the oldest living member of the Cowgirl Hall of Fame, located in Fort Worth, Texas. At the age of 100, she saddled her own horse and rode in a parade when the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame opened its new building in Fort Worth.

Reeves was born in Eagle Pass, Texas, near the Mexican border, in September 1901 and she was on the back of a horse before she learned to walk. She had her first horse by the age of five and quickly mastered the English and western styles of riding.

She went to the University of Texas law school in the early 1920s for three years but her chance of being one of the first and youngest women lawyers in the United States was cut off by the Great Depression. Reeves became a high school teacher and a teacher of horse riding after leaving law school.

In 1936, Reeves started her work as a horse riding instructor at Waldemar Camp. She worked there for nearly 70 years, and. in 1942, she married the camp's head wrangler.

In a recent speech, Reeves said she would gladly leave the skyscrapers, pollution and financial markets to people living in big cities.

"Leave the wide open spaces and free fresh air to the West, where one can take an early morning gallop across dew-drenched fields, lie down to sleep beneath the star-twinkling sky, only to be awakened by the crowing of a lone rooster in the far distance," Reeves said.

Some of the quotes she said in her interview was...

1. sometimes coming out here is liking drinking a good cold beer.

2. No cussing, well then, I guess I will not be doing much talking then. There is nothing more expressive as profanity.

3. Always saddle your own horse and know where you are going.

Very inspirational lady. :cheers:

Pandora

:bawl: only the good die young.

:lol: She did say in her interview, she would see 101, and actually, she almost saw 102.

Just imagine, living through the entire 1900's and everything she got to see and experience. That is the kind of person I would love to sit down and just listen to any and all stories she had to tell me.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
:lol: Just imagine, living through the entire 1900's and everything she got to see and experience. That is the kind of person I would love to sit down and just listen to any and all stories she had to tell me.

My grandfather is 92 and there is nothing like hearing him tell his stories. Whew talk about a wild man.... He is still sharp as a tack. The times he has lived through are incredible.

Pandora

My grandfather is 92 and there is nothing like hearing him tell his stories. Whew talk about a wild man.... He is still sharp as a tack. The times he has lived through are incredible.

My great grandma was 98 when she died and I remember listening to her tell stories for hours on end. She was of sound mind until about a year before she died and she lived on her own until about 6 months before she died. I just couldn't imagine living to be that old but I don't think I have to worry about it. :lol: