The answer: 19.86 times

gunsmoke

The Question: How many more people are collecting unemployment benefits today than 1 year ago?

The total number of people claiming benefits in all programs for the week ending August 29 was 29,768,326, an increase of 98,456 from the previous week. There were 1,498,917 persons claiming benefits in all programs in the comparable week in 2019.
Almost 30 MILLION Americans are currently collecting unemployment benefits.

MAGA!!!

Rommey

The Question: How many more people are collecting unemployment benefits today than 1 year ago?

MAGA!!!
Gee, if there were only some way to explain why this might be...
You try to present yourself as smarter than everyone else here, but your inane obsession of throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks is tiresome.
You try to lay all the blame on Trump. Maybe you could explain what role the various state governors had in the rise of unemployment claims. I mean if you were trying to be honest about the situation...

limblips

PREMO Member

MAGA!!!
The answer: 19.86 times per day.

The question: How many times does it have to be explained to you that since January this country has been fighting a pandemic. Restaurants - closed, movie theaters - closed, retail - shutdown, schools - closed and on and on. Employees let go from may businesses country wide. Here is an interesting graph showing a meteoric rise in unemployment beginning in March and a following precipitous continuing decline as of August.

And for you graphically challenged people:

Unemployed Persons
August 2020 8.4% 13,550,000
July 2020 10.2% 16,338,000
June 2020 11.1% 17,750,000
May 2020 13.3% 20,985,000
April 2020 14.7% 23,078,000
March 2020 4.4% 7,140,000
February 2020 3.5% 5,787,000
January 2020 3.6% 5,892,000
December 2019 3.5% 5,753,000
November 2019 3.5% 5,811,000
October 2019 3.6% 5,857,000
September 2019 3.5% 5,753,000

Sources: https://www.deptofnumbers.com/

And before you go quoting obummer's numbers make sure they are adjusted for their reporting not including people who "were not actively looking for jobs" under the obummer statement that "those jobs aren't coming back!"

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
"OK, we need to shut down or we're all gonna catch the Whoohan. No going to work. No services. Oh, and by the way, here's a bunch of money to 'assist' you during troubled times, and yeah, it's probably more than you make in a week, but that's ok."

"OMG LOOK AT THE UNBELIEVABLE UNEMPLOYMENT RATES!!!! TRUMP BAD!!!"

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The Question: How many more people are collecting unemployment benefits today than 1 year ago? Almost 30 MILLION Americans are currently collecting unemployment benefits. MAGA!!!
And all the fault of each Governor of every State that shut their own States down over an annual flu coronavirus. If you are going to infer blame, direct it where it should be rightly placed.

SamSpade

None of these people are "unemployed" in the sense that they cannot find work - they are unemployed because their governor TOLD them to stay home or otherwise shuttered their business. A LOT of them have jobs - waiting for them.

We are not in a "recession" because the economy is poor - we are in a hole because governors have shut down businesses and eliminated substantial portions of the economy.

Although the economy won't resume immediately - it can't, because the obscene lockdowns have, in many cases PERMANENTLY destroyed businesses - it will be back quickly.

You'd THINK it would be - dare I say? - stunningly obvious to anyone.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
PREMO Member
I must have read the initial post incorrectly based on the reactions of the those responding. I thought the initial post meant the OP had finally converted over to being a Trump supporter. Because as I read the initial post, unemployment was essentially at 0 this time a year ago (under Trump) and now (due to the China virus) it's understandably not.

As one will note, today's current unemployment (roughly 8.5%) is lower than post-2008 crash and actually roughly the norm for almost the last 50 years.*

I guess I don't understand sarcasm....

--- End of line (MCP)