The bases "ped and bike safety" changes

glhs837

Power with Control
Unintended consequences. They placed these speed tables (think 4 foot wide three inch tall speed bumps that are flat on top) around the base. Well, heres what Ive seen going in Gate Three since then. Like 80% of traffic, including your big good ol boy pickups, just follow the blue path to keep speed up. The red line is where the one is in this pic

Also, these new limits are ludicrous.

New Path.jpg

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Unintended consequences. They placed these speed tables (think 4 foot wide three inch tall speed bumps that are flat on top) around the base. Well, heres what Ive seen going in Gate Three since then. Like 80% of traffic, including your big good ol boy pickups, just follow the blue path to keep speed up. The red line is where the one is in this pic

Also, these new limits are ludicrous.

View attachment 168516
:howdy:
I'm a blue driver.

Homer J

Power Chord
Perfect example of "Government Planning."
Not "Government" really. One man. The new base CO.

And, you think things are bad now. Wait until we get into another round of Citadel Shield-Solid Curtain next month. I know someone that got caught in that mess last year, and he said it took him over an hour to get home from work. He lives ON BASE.

Natron0915

They sure are a PITA, and the necessity for them seems...well, not. Was there a rash of pedestrians getting hit, and accidents due to excessive speed I didn't hear about these things were supposed to eliminate?

glhs837

Power with Control
They sure are a PITA, and the necessity for them seems...well, not. Was there a rash of pedestrians getting hit, and accidents due to excessive speed I didn't hear about these things were supposed to eliminate?

No, at least not that I know of, ever. I dont know, but suspect the base CO is a believer in this whole "Vision Zero" thing.

But like speed cameras in school zones, you need to have a problem to solve. And I'm not aware of any peds getting hurt or killed, nor bikers either.

Natron0915

No, at least not that I know of, ever. I dont know, but suspect the base CO is a believer in this whole "Vision Zero" thing.

But like speed cameras in school zones, you need to have a problem to solve. And I'm not aware of any peds getting hurt or killed, nor bikers either.
Kind of what I thought too. Been here almost 20 yrs, and other than the occasional accident at one of the red lights, I don't recall any issues. I hate it.

There was a saying I heard many, many moons ago about Navy maintenance that seems applicable.

If it's broke, fix it. If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Seems appropriate to this situation.

limblips

PREMO Member
Related subject, whatever happened to the DOD/Navy rule about no jogging or biking with earbuds/headphones on? It seems everybody has them on now.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
They also bypass the two in front of IMD by taking the road towards TPS and turning towards the tower just before getting there. I say they but if I remember it’s me also.

glhs837

Power with Control
They also bypass the two in front of IMD by taking the road towards TPS and turning towards the tower just before getting there. I say they but if I remember it’s me also.
On my way out to NMC a week ago I wondered about that. :)

PeoplesElbow

That equitable mobility part is funny, many of those elevated crosswalks end in the dirt etc so someone using a crosswalk in a wheel chair would have to get off the hump and risk flipping over to get where they are going. I hope someone files an ADA complaint.