The Beam goes on and Childe Roland follows

Toxick

Splat
Anyone finished the Dark Tower series? I didn't even know that King has finished Book 5, much 6 & 7 and finished the series..... It isfinished, isn't it?

I picked up Wolves of Calla yesterday, and started reading around 11pm, which means I almost got past the argument before dropping off to sleep.

How is the rest of the series? Satisfying? Good? Sucky?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can't get into fantasy fiction like that. I tried to read the first one and got about halfway through before I ditched it.

Toxick

Splat
vraiblonde said:
I can't get into fantasy fiction like that. I tried to read the first one and got about halfway through before I ditched it.

The first one is brutal. It's confusing, boring, slow... It's probably my least favorite Stephen King book, (except for Rose Madder which could very well be the worst book ever written). The only purpose which I can see that it serves is that it introduces you to Roland and Jake, and foreshadows various things. If I ever decided to re-read the series, I'm likely to start on the second book. I almost pitched it when I read it. But I decided to plod on through because it was Stephen King, and I was in a big SK phase, and read everything of his.

The second one was MUCH better, exciting, active, suspenseful. The third one was better yet.

The fourth one kind of reverted back to the style of the original, with too many flashbacks - in fact, if I remember, the vast majority of the story is a giant flashback (which I don't like because it didn't advance the plot one iota) - and introducing concepts that come swooping out of left field, like these skinnies, or whatever they were called.

I wasn't too big on the fourth one - although, it's head and shoulders above the first. I hope the Wolves of The Calla is an improvement.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Just finished Song of Susannah (book V). It was great except for this wonderful little section where King literally adds himself to the story. Of course it would explain a lot if that part were true. Six and seven are not done yet. December release for six is the latest I heard.

Toxick

Splat
bresamil said:
Just finished Song of Susannah (book V). It was great except for this wonderful little section where King literally adds himself to the story. Of course it would explain a lot if that part were true. Six and seven are not done yet. December release for six is the latest I heard.

I think that Song of Susannah is book VI. The Wolves of the Calla is Book V.

Book VII - The Dark Tower is out. I just saw it at Borders yesterday. The Trade Paperbacks (which I prefer) don't come out until 05, but all the hardcovers are out.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Toxick said:
I think that Song of Susannah is book VI. The Wolves of the Calla is Book V.
Oops. My bad.

Book VII - The Dark Tower is out. I just saw it at Borders yesterday. The Trade Paperbacks (which I prefer) don't come out until 05, but all the hardcovers are out.
Sounds like a trip to the library for me. Thanks for the heads up.