The Bible shows us a picture of who we really are.

Patch

The Pirate
"The Bible is the all-time bestselling book, but in some parts of the world it is banned because it’s considered dangerous. The Bible is dangerous, however, only to those who fear finding out that they are wrong. It’s dangerous to those who exploit the weak and the innocent, who use force to keep others enslaved in poverty and ignorance, who don’t want to give up their favorite sin, who believe that salvation can be found apart from Christ.

No one wants to be told they are wrong. No one wants to hear that their behavior is putting themselves and those they love in danger or that God’s patience will eventually wear out. Yet that was the message God told Jeremiah to write (Jer. 36:2). When His message was read to King Jehoiakim, the king cut up the scroll and threw it into the fire (v.23).

The only way to know we are right is to be willing to discover where we are wrong. Read the all-time bestselling banned book, and let it reveal to you the truth about God—and about yourself"

- J. Link, Our Daily Bread, RBC Ministries, 10/3/08

Our Daily Bread - Read A Banned Book

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hard to believe it beat out Harry Potter as the top fiction of the decade..

But sorcery always loses out to 600 year old people, multiple wives, and LSD hallucinations.

Attachments

• pope.gif
    pope.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 93

kermitt

I have been..disenchanted
I guess your Catholic? you should be since there Catholics are the most numerous Christians.

Really? I'm not being smart. I just didn't know that. I guess that may be true given the Catholic influence spanning the entire world. Hey! I'm finally a minority:yahoo:

Gwydion

But sorcery always loses out to 600 year old people, multiple wives, and LSD hallucinations.

Hey now!

We still have 2 years and 2 more movies to release.

This_person

Do numbers give it authenticity?? The second best selling book Quotations from Chairman Mao. The "Final edition" of the Bible was created in the 4th centry (325 AD) where as the Mao book wasnt published until 1966 (1600 years later).

(Beating any to the punch) I do not agree with Mao, but using your justification Mao's book is more valid, since its only had 40 years of publication, yet reaches those numbers.

Still want numbers? I guess your Catholic? you should be since there Catholics are the most numerous Christians.
You two both did a pretty good job of proving the point of the first post.
No one wants to be told they are wrong. No one wants to hear that their behavior is putting themselves and those they love in danger or that God’s patience will eventually wear out. Yet that was the message God told Jeremiah to write (Jer. 36:2).​

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You two both did a pretty good job of proving the point of the first post.
No one wants to be told they are wrong. No one wants to hear that their behavior is putting themselves and those they love in danger or that God’s patience will eventually wear out. Yet that was the message God told Jeremiah to write (Jer. 36:2).​

I can't be a Christian, I'm too tolerant of others.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And don't mistake tolerance for agreeing with you.. that's not what tolerance is.

Tolerance is NOT agreeing with someone, not believing in what they believe in, but still willing to sit down and drink a beer with them, or a rootbeer if they are so inclined.

Intolerance is NOT b eing able to be civil in a personal environment, and not liking someone, not for the person they are, but for what their convictions or beliefs are.

This_person

And don't mistake tolerance for agreeing with you.. that's not what tolerance is.

Tolerance is NOT agreeing with someone, not believing in what they believe in, but still willing to sit down and drink a beer with them, or a rootbeer if they are so inclined.

Intolerance is NOT b eing able to be civil in a personal environment, and not liking someone, not for the person they are, but for what their convictions or beliefs are.
I would submit to you for consideration that someone's convictions or beliefs ARE the significant portion of who someone is.

However, regardless of who someone is, it is my personal belief and my understanding of Christianity that tolerance (I fully agree tolerance is not acceptance) of people is a goal to strive for, a basic concept of the best way to live one's life. Personally, I try for that.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I would submit to you for consideration that someone's convictions or beliefs ARE the significant portion of who someone is.

I disagree. A muslim can be the nicest person you ever met.

A non-chrsitian, or non-religious person can be the nicest most charitable person on the planet, the same way a devout christian can be a murderer, or a rapist.

I won't dislike the person for his convictions or beliefs, I will however dislike him despite his beliefs and his convictions if he's a murderer or a rapist.

ANd I KNOW, if he's a murderer or a rapist, he's not a TRUE Chrsitian. :bs:

This_person

I disagree. A muslim can be the nicest person you ever met.

A non-chrsitian, or non-religious person can be the nicest most charitable person on the planet, the same way a devout christian can be a murderer, or a rapist.
I'm not following you. Are you implying that the basics of the muslim faith (or Christian faith, or non-faith) are in some way bad, but a given muslim (or Christian, or non-faithed) person can somehow rise above their beliefs?

That's not how I see any of these faiths at all. I believe there are good and bad muslims (Christians, non-faith people). Believing in a given area big picture of religion does not constitute one's convictions or beliefs. The religion one follows is the country they live in. HOW they follow and interpret it is the house they live in.
I won't dislike the person for his convictions or beliefs, I will however dislike him despite his beliefs and his convictions if he's a murderer or a rapist.

ANd I KNOW, if he's a murderer or a rapist, he's not a TRUE Chrsitian. :bs:
Call BS all you like, but you make my point here. Someone can fall under the guise of being a muslim, or Christian, or what-have-you, but if they allow themselves to kill and/or rape someone, that's not following the convictions and beliefs of that religion. So, that they are whatever faith they are has no bearing on how they demonstrate their convictions. A muslim or Christian murdering because they believe it's okay or even desirable within their religion has convictions different than their religion. A non-faithed person murdering a baby because they don't have reverence for its life is demonstrating their conviction. The non-faithed person that does NOT do this because they believe the life has value ALSO has convictions that are consistent with their belief.

So, a large picture of what someone's religion is has very little to do with their convictions. It's how and what they practice and interpret that is more telling.