The Bible

hotcoffee

Matthew 11:20-24 Woe

Woe on Unrepentant Towns

Matthew 11:20 "Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. 21 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22 But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. 23 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades.[e] For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. 24 But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”

e.Matthew 11:23 That is, the realm of the dead

This is not a hint. This is a flat out warning! Sodom doesn't exist anymore.

If you don't accept Jesus.... you would be better off in a hail storm of fire!

Jesus is saying if you don't accept Him you will go to Hell.

If you don't have Jesus Christ in your life... Jesus says you'll wish you didn't exist.

:coffee:

PsyOps

Pixelated
So my/our skepticism was justified and this is the very reason why. I've seen soo many of these documentaries and have been mostly disappointed in them.

It would now be appropriate for cheezgrits to come in and admit we were right...:holdingmybreath:

I was really hoping it would go virtually word-for-word from the bible. It seems they were aimed more at making it historically correct while omitting biblical passages. I don’t mind some dramatization, but this was all drama and no contextual facts. Nothing more than a history lesson.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I was really hoping it would go virtually word-for-word from the bible. It seems they were aimed more at making it historically correct while omitting biblical passages. I don’t mind some dramatization, but this was all drama and no contextual facts. Nothing more than a history lesson.

Ended up being on travel and the channel isn't available, don't spoil the ending for me.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Those names aren't good names though. I sense underlying tones in them. To call it a book of fiction is dangerous but you don't have to take my word for it...

I tell people what the Bible says. They don't like it so they attack ME. I've asked for anyone to prove me wrong in what I've said and no one has. And my way is "crappy"? Maybe it's the readers bias. Look at the message and don't worry about the messenger. :yay:

If you've asked God to reveal its meaning to you, you should remember that He won't if you're not willing to listen and learn. A "free will or free mind" is what we have but, w/o discernment, it can lead us in the wrong direction.

You must not understand what worship means. I revere the Book but I don't bow down or pray to it or have it set up in a shrine type of setting.

All of the books are "broken out". If you'd listen, you'd know that I've explained that before. Sounds like you just want to argue & doubt the truth and God isn't going to reveal His truths to anyone who won't listen.

Tell you what. You're right. There. Happy?

Take a moment now in your glorious victory and re-read your post and see how pompous it is. Then keep wondering why people leave Christianity.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
A few friends of mine also said the series left out a lot of stuff so maybe they should have called it something else. In any event, hopefully someone will have liked it enough to ask questions or want to start reading the Bible because of it...

hotcoffee

. Then keep wondering why people leave Christianity.

Just want to clear up a little misunderstanding here. Christians don't leave Christianity.

They stop going to church and they do backslide but they don't leave Christianity. Christians have something that non-Christians don't. They have faith. Christians have varying degrees of faith... but they keep faith. It's in the heart. Sometimes it can get covered with muck... but it's there....

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Just want to clear up a little misunderstanding here. Christians don't leave Christianity.

They stop going to church and they do backslide but they don't leave Christianity. Christians have something that non-Christians don't. They have faith. Christians have varying degrees of faith... but they keep faith. It's in the heart. Sometimes it can get covered with muck... but it's there....

Sorry to have to disagree with you, but I am the exception to your rule. I was raised until 5th grade in the Baptist church. Was dunked and everything. Went up to pulpit and asked to be saved, the whole thing. Then the church and it's pompous jackhats decided to run my family out of the church because my father liked to have a beer on the weekend and they went through our trash and gathered "evidence", confronted him in front of his family at hos house and "fired" him from being Sunday school director and asked our family to leave the church. We moved to a friend's Episcopal church and that was fun, we did a lot of things with a Catholic church nearby (as I have posted before) sooo, after all I've seen and experienced, I can say yes, I personally have left Christianity.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Sorry to have to disagree with you, but I am the exception to your rule. I was raised until 5th grade in the Baptist church. Was dunked and everything. Went up to pulpit and asked to be saved, the whole thing. Then the church and it's pompous jackhats decided to run my family out of the church because my father liked to have a beer on the weekend and they went through our trash and gathered "evidence", confronted him in front of his family at hos house and "fired" him from being Sunday school director and asked our family to leave the church. We moved to a friend's Episcopal church and that was fun, we did a lot of things with a Catholic church nearby (as I have posted before) sooo, after all I've seen and experienced, I can say yes, I personally have left Christianity.

Baptists left a sour taste in my mouth as a kid as well, but I won't bother relating the story again.

What I see you say here implies to me that you left religion, but have you left Christ (that small still voice in your heart when you're contemplating the mystical aspects of life on your back porch)?

My mother would be another example. She was a believer all her life until the age of 70. She suddenly stopped going to church and told me she simply didn't believe anymore. She thinks we rot in our graves never to exist again after death. So yeah, I'd say she left Christianity and is now an Atheist.

I suspect hotcoffee and other Evangelicals will tell you that if you leave Christianity you never really were a Christian to begin with because of their once saved always saved doctrine; however, I don't think that. I think some people cease to believe for whatever reason, real or imagined, but that doesn't imply they never believed to begin with. Of course that also doesn't mean that God isn't still working on them. :wink:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Dude, you got your win, I said you are right. I'm not blaming anyone.
And I'm just trying to have a conversation with you w/o you going off the deep end about what I say.
I've had bad church experiences too but I didn't give up on God, just church. It sounds like you got caught up in a seriously fundamentalist Baptist church and those types bother even me... :yikes:

So, if you were raised in a Baptist church why then do you take issue with the Bible & Jesus as the Creator? Just curious...

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Does anyone else see her refusal to admit the truth here? :yay:

Don't make me pull up and post your churches prayers and adorations to her and their many holy days of obligation that are ALL about her. You can't ignore the truth forever.

Feel free. It still doesn't mean we worship Mary. Btw, there is nothing that is ALL about Mary because EVERYTHING about Mary points to Christ. You know, kind of like the Bible. :coffee:

hotcoffee

I've been where you are. I've had a preacher take the Bible from my hands and throw it in a bon fire because the translation didn't meet his requirements. I've seen my best friend in the church fired from her position as a Sunday School teacher because she was fighting a serious mental problem. My daughter was told by a PK that unless she read the Bible for 2 or 3 hours a night, and memorized at least one verse a day... she wasn't a Christian.

Jesus loves you. He has your name engraved on His palm and He will never let you go.... unlike the church.

People are stupid and cruel. I have prayed for you and will continue to do so. The church has covered your faith with muck and I am embarrassed but Jesus has not changed. He is still there for you.

I apologize for the church but I stand by my statement.... Christians don't leave Christianity.... Christians have Christ... It's a personal relationship with the Lord that makes you a Christian, not going to the alter or being dunked or any other action you can take.

I read Radiant1's post after I wrote this. I have known someone who I suspected only went through the declaration of faith to impress people around him. Now I realize it's not right for me to judge someone else's faith or lack of faith. Guess I've matured.... I hope that when people put my name in the list of evangelicals... it's a positive thing... I hope I never cause someone to leave the church because of anything I do or say....

Christians can get angry with the Lord for a myriad of reasons.... But please... don't let the stupidity of pompous asses muck up your faith.... A personal relationship with Christ is the best part of life.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated

Let me understand you... because of what other humans did you stopped believing in God? What do you mean by you 'left Christianity'?

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Let me understand you... because of what other humans did you stopped believing in God? What do you mean by you 'left Christianity'?

No, because of what that religion did, as well as others, I left Christianity.

I never said I don't believe in a "god". I believe in a creator, much like your god.

Guess I'm closer to a deist, if I had to tag to a religion. I'm not a non-believer, I just don't follow a religion. I don't accept that the bible is literal. Etc, etc,etc.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
I've been where you are. I've had a preacher take the Bible from my hands and throw it in a bon fire because the translation didn't meet his requirements. I've seen my best friend in the church fired from her position as a Sunday School teacher because she was fighting a serious mental problem. My daughter was told by a PK that unless she read the Bible for 2 or 3 hours a night, and memorized at least one verse a day... she wasn't a Christian.

Jesus loves you. He has your name engraved on His palm and He will never let you go.... unlike the church.

People are stupid and cruel. I have prayed for you and will continue to do so. The church has covered your faith with muck and I am embarrassed but Jesus has not changed. He is still there for you.

I apologize for the church but I stand by my statement.... Christians don't leave Christianity.... Christians have Christ... It's a personal relationship with the Lord that makes you a Christian, not going to the alter or being dunked or any other action you can take.

I read Radiant1's post after I wrote this. I have known someone who I suspected only went through the declaration of faith to impress people around him. Now I realize it's not right for me to judge someone else's faith or lack of faith. Guess I've matured.... I hope that when people put my name in the list of evangelicals... it's a positive thing... I hope I never cause someone to leave the church because of anything I do or say....

Christians can get angry with the Lord for a myriad of reasons.... But please... don't let the stupidity of pompous asses muck up your faith.... A personal relationship with Christ is the best part of life.

Thank you. Your kind words mean a lot. The fact you take time out of your day to think of me, I am humbled.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
And I'm just trying to have a conversation with you w/o you going off the deep end about what I say.

I've had bad church experiences too but I didn't give up on God, just church. It sounds like you got caught up in a seriously fundamentalist Baptist church and those types bother even me... :yikes:

So, if you were raised in a Baptist church why then do you take issue with the Bible & Jesus as the Creator? Just curious...

I don't have an issue with the bible or Jesus. I just don't take it as literal fact and as a historical document. I don't deny that there was a man named Jesus who was a teacher, prophet and leader. As I have said, I love the lessons and parables.

I just don't buy into religions.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Baptists left a sour taste in my mouth as a kid as well, but I won't bother relating the story again.

What I see you say here implies to me that you left religion, but have you left Christ (that small still voice in your heart when you're contemplating the mystical aspects of life on your back porch)?

My mother would be another example. She was a believer all her life until the age of 70. She suddenly stopped going to church and told me she simply didn't believe anymore. She thinks we rot in our graves never to exist again after death. So yeah, I'd say she left Christianity and is now an Atheist.

I suspect hotcoffee and other Evangelicals will tell you that if you leave Christianity you never really were a Christian to begin with because of their once saved always saved doctrine; however, I don't think that. I think some people cease to believe for whatever reason, real or imagined, but that doesn't imply they never believed to begin with. Of course that also doesn't mean that God isn't still working on them. :wink:

Thank you, as I have said before, I appreciate your views and candor.

PsyOps

Pixelated
No, because of what that religion did, as well as others, I left Christianity.

I never said I don't believe in a "god". I believe in a creator, much like your god.

Guess I'm closer to a deist, if I had to tag to a religion. I'm not a non-believer, I just don't follow a religion. I don't accept that the bible is literal. Etc, etc,etc.

A distinction without a difference.

Religion is made up of people. Without people there would be no religion. Sounds more like you left religion than you did Christianity. Is the Christian God - that you once believed in - any less that God because some humans screwed up the message?

I don’t accept many of the passages in the bible literally either. Because I don’t believe the literal depiction of Adam and Eve doesn’t mean God is any less the creator of this universe and the life in it. It also doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen exactly the way it is depicted in the bible. It doesn’t do us any good to question God because we get it wrong. God is still God despite what we do. God is especially God because of what we do. Our failings prove all-the-more of His perfection.

But, the other wonderful part about God is He gave us free choice; to choose Him or not.