The big day is nearing

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
The baby horsie boys will soon be....soon will loose...um...will be... :gossip: gelded i don't want to tell them yet.

anyone with stories to share? It's the first time for me....we have all mares except the stallion, and his ain't going nowhere. :biggrin:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
Watch to make sure the intestines do not fall through the hole...have fun...plan on cold hosing a couple times a day...will be fun in Jan...
:shocking: can that REALLY happen???
Vet says this is the perfect time to do it...is she wrong???

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
appyday said:
Yep can happen and does..keep them locked up for the fist 24-48 hours...vet will tell you...good time ...as in no flyes...but bad time in hosing..I personally like the spring befor fly season..what is it now $300 each?? I only had to hose my last boy 2 X day for like 5 days....

Good luck..call me if you need me...Appy

Ps if his sheeth swells too big just pop holes in it with a 16G needle to let it drain..
:dead: :dead:

mingiz

Horse Poor
We had a few done throughout the years and have had good luck. Yeap the old hose and a little hand walking. And then again it can get gross. Ya gotta feel for them when they wake up and there like what the hey hit me. :crazy: You'll make out fine.... :wink: Now you will have some of them mountain oysters :lmao: :yikes: :elaine:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
happyappygirl said:
The baby horsie boys will soon be....soon will loose...um...will be... :gossip: gelded i don't want to tell them yet.

anyone with stories to share? It's the first time for me....we have all mares except the stallion, and his ain't going nowhere. :biggrin:

Happy, here is a good article on aftercare for new geldings from horsekeeping.com
http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_health_care/gelding_and_aftercare.htm

AFTERCARE

The gelding will get up on his own shortly after he comes out of the anesthesia but it takes about 20-40 minutes for him to fully recover from the drug. It is important he is in a safe, private place such as a round pen or arena. Before turning him out, apply petroleum jelly to the insides of his hind legs where sticky fluids will later drip. Accumulated drainage can result in sloughed hair and chafed skin. Petroleum jelly will protect the sparsely-haired inside thigh and gaskin area from scalding and makes daily cleaning of the legs easier for the owner and less painful for the horse.

Drainage is largely comprised of white blood cells mixed with discarded tissue fragments and blood. Commonly this is referred to as pus. As long as the odor of the drainage remains inoffensive, it is normal and desirable. Drainage should continue for 2 to 3 weeks. If the scrotal incisions close up suddenly before two weeks or if there is a persistent bad smell, call your veterinarian immediately.
To minimize hair loss, skin chafing, and to decrease the chances of the horse rubbing his rear end and tail, clean the hind legs and the area under the horse's tail each day. Using warm water if possible, hose off the drainage, blot dry with a clean towel, and apply a fresh coat of petroleum jelly. During the washing, don't spray directly into the wound. Too much washing and wiping can also be irritating to a horse's skin, so strike a balance. Bathing training prior to gelding will help make this daily washing just another routine. To encourage the youngster to stand still, have an assistant hold up a front foot, but be sure the young horse has had prior hoof handling.

Because of surgical trauma, the gelding's sheath will swell to some degree. Accumulation of fluids in the area is normal for four to five days. If the swelling becomes extreme or is accompanied by heat, it may be advisable to notify your veterinarian. A swollen sheath may make urination uncomfortable. Be sure to encourage normal urination and bowel movements by offering your horse fresh water at all times and ensuring that he gets adequate exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Happy I had two stallions gelded in the past. One standing and the other down. Do ask them which way they do it. Standing is better, getting them up can be hairy. The one that was done down was by Runde and we did it out in the open field, he wanted no stall walls or obstructions around for the wake-up. Yes hosing will be cold, but im sure your guys will do great.

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
happyappygirl said:
:shocking: can that REALLY happen???
Vet says this is the perfect time to do it...is she wrong???

If your friends with the Amish, ask them what they do :shocking:

Talking to one of my Buds that has ridden horses for awhile, seems thats the way it was the way it was done pretty regular, and (at least to their memory) they didnt seem to have HALF the problems, people with newly Gelded horses, have nowdays :shrug: