The Bluebird diet

BlueBird

I'll be posting my daily food intake in this thread. I'm on a 1500 max calorie per day diet. 40% carbs, 35% protein, 25% fat. I'll post a weekly update of calories burned and weight lost.

BlueBird

Saturday March 12

12 march.jpg

BlueBird

All my meal choices are low calorie, low fat and low carb so if anyone is looking for a healthy choice my meal plan may make it easier.

The clam chowder was home made and used the website my fitness website to formulate the recipe. 1 serving equals 1.5 cups. It was actually quite tasty. The only issue was the sodium so from the clams. I probably could have reduced the amount of sodium by draining half the clams I used but it would't have been as delicious.

Here's the website I've been using, thanks chicken.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Last edited:

BlueBird

Here's my "healthy" version of clam chowder if anyone is interested. It was very tasty and was even better today. Serving size is 1.5 cups nutritional info is at the bottom.

Ingredients
• 1 medium (2-1/2" dia), Onions, raw
• 2 tablespoon (15ml), Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
• 4 medium sized potato, Russet
• 1 cup (123 g), Carrots
• ½ teaspoon, Black Pepper
• 2 tbsp, White Flour
• 4 tsp(0.3 g), Fresh Parsley, chopped
• 8 container (7 oz ea.), Bumble Bee Chopped Clams In Clam Juice
• 2 cup, Whole Milk
• 2 med stalk, Celery
• 2 tbsp(s), Garlic Powder
• 2 cup, Skim (Usda)

Directions: In a large pot add 2 table spoons of olive oil, 1 medium onion chopped, 2 celery stalks chopped. Cook over medium heat until onions and celery are translucent (about 10 minutes). Add pepper, garlic powder and carrots, finely chopped and the juice from 4 cans of clams. Simmer uncovered until the carrots are cooked through. Add the juice from the remaining 4 cans of clams and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes then add the potato’s diced. Cook uncovered until the potato’s are fork tender. Add 2 table spoons of flour to a measuring cup and fill with 1 cup of skim milk. Mix flour until blended and add to the chowder stirring frequently. Simmer for 5 minutes and add the clams and remaining milk and simmer for 10 minutes uncovered, add parsley and stir frequently. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes and enjoy.

Note: For the not so healthy version which is amazing. Substitute milk with half and half. Substitute the olive oil for a stick of butter and add ½ a pound of bacon. Cook bacon with onions and celery and then add the butter and clam juice. Everything is the same after that.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 9.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 229
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 5 g 8 %
Saturated Fat 2 g 8 %
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 24 mg 8 %
Sodium 1174 mg 49 %
Potassium 674 mg 19 %
Total Carbohydrate 30 g 10 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g 9 %
Sugars 6 g
Protein 15 g 30 %
Vitamin A 6 %
Vitamin C 26 %
Calcium 15 %
Iron 19 %

hitchicken

Wow! That chowder, you're a gourmet chef. And you're using the universal gram weights. Calorie counters of America have a new member we can be proud of.

General Lee

You may find yourself tweaking those diet numbers depending on your exercise routine. My opinion you should up your protein. Again depends on your exercise. More protein builds muscle and more muscle burns fat. Should take in more fiber plus it will help you feel more full. If you are still going to run, 1500 calories will not be enough to sustain you . You will probably feel ok for a short time but you will soon feel the effects of 1500 calories a day.

Since you are just starting all of this, it will take a little time for your body to adjust so don't be afraid to adjust your food intake depending on your what your body is telling you. Don't forget about your healthy fats......Nuts (cashews, almonds, etc) and avocados. They will help with energy levels.

BlueBird

You may find yourself tweaking those diet numbers depending on your exercise routine. My opinion you should up your protein. Again depends on your exercise. More protein builds muscle and more muscle burns fat. Should take in more fiber plus it will help you feel more full. If you are still going to run, 1500 calories will not be enough to sustain you . You will probably feel ok for a short time but you will soon feel the effects of 1500 calories a day.

Since you are just starting all of this, it will take a little time for your body to adjust so don't be afraid to adjust your food intake depending on your what your body is telling you. Don't forget about your healthy fats......Nuts (cashews, almonds, etc) and avocados. They will help with energy levels.

You are absolutely correct. I've added psyllium fiber to my diet and I'm trying to get my fiber intake over 40 per day vice the 28 daily recommended. Also, I've added a multi-vitamin I'll be taking each morning. Starting today I've added more protein and I'm losing the egg yolks, well most of them. 3 eggs this morning, two with out yolks. There are some good fats in the yolk but three would be too much. I'm coming in at less than 1500 calories everyday and I feel like I'm eating a lot. It helps that I take my time when I eat and that I do have a portion of one of my snacks between meals. I even had enough room for a nice enjoyable Pale Ale in today's diet, and still I'm under my goal on carbs and calories. Thank you for your input. That's why I'm posting everything here. I want feedback, good and bad. I've never been so motivated to get my health in order.

BlueBird

It hasn't quite been a week yet but every Sunday will be weight check day. As of today I have officially lost 1.2 pounds! It's good to see the number falling albeit slow. It's likely I've lost more than that since I purchased the scale after I already started dieting. Next week will paint a better picture. As I get lighter everything should get easier.

BlueBird

Wow! That chowder, you're a gourmet chef. And you're using the universal gram weights. Calorie counters of America have a new member we can be proud of.

The chowder was good and actually pretty healthy. Thanks again for that link it's great.

BlueBird

Thought I would share this very tasty recipe. It's low fat, low carb and light on the calories. Sure taste great though.

11 Ingredients
• 1 tablespoon, salted Butter
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp(s), All-Purpose Flour
• 10 fluid ounce, Milk
• 7 ounce, 100% Whole Grain Penne Pasta (Whole Wheat)
• 2 Medium Pepper, Bell Pepper - Orange
• 12 oz, Broccoli
• 1/2 cup, Sargento 4 Mexican Cheese, shredded
• 18 oz, Lean Pork Tenderloin (Grilled and rubbed with smoked paprika)
• 1 tsp, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
• 1 tsp Italian Seasoning

Directions
Prepare the white sauce by placing the butter and olive oil in a small sauce pot that has been preheated over medium heat. Once the butter foams, add flour and stir for 1 minute; try not to let the mixture turn brown. Add milk to the mixture and continue to stir until it starts to bubble. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add pepper, Italian seasoning and 2 table spoons of cheese to the sauce. Stir to combine. Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, preheat oven to 350 degrees. During the last minute of the pasta's cooking, add the chopped broccoli to the water. Allow to simmer for one minute.
Drain the pasta and broccoli. Spritz the bottom and sides of a 9 X 13 oven-proof casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the pasta and broccoli with the diced pork; cover with the sauce. Place in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and cover with foil.

Bake for 20 minutes; remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is melted. Portion in to 6 = portions and enjoy!

Nutrition Facts
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 331
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 9 g 13 %
Saturated Fat 4 g 18 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17 mg 6 %
Sodium 243 mg 10 %
Potassium 671 mg 19 %
Total Carbohydrate 38 g 13 %
Dietary Fiber 6 g 24 %
Sugars 8 g
Protein 23 g 45 %
Vitamin A 25 %
Vitamin C 106 %
Calcium 28 %
Iron 12 %

Last edited:

BlueBird

I just couldn't help myself so I got on the scale this morning. In the buff, before breakfast and right after my morning constitution I weighed myself. Today marks the 7th day of my low carb and reduced calorie diet and I have lost 3 pounds! I feel slimmer even though I don't look it and I feel great. The diet is working. My goal of losing 100 pounds in a year is achievable and will happen.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just couldn't help myself so I got on the scale this morning. In the buff, before breakfast and right after my morning constitution I weighed myself. Today marks the 7th day of my low carb and reduced calorie diet and I have lost 3 pounds! I feel slimmer even though I don't look it and I feel great. The diet is working. My goal of losing 100 pounds in a year is achievable and will happen.

Good for you! :clap:

BlueBird

Good for you! :clap:

Thank you and sorry for posting so much about jogging and what I'm eating. I suppose that by writing about it here, well it's keeping me honest. That and I could use all the encouragement I can get. This will be a long journey for me and I know it has to be completed. In just about a month from now I should be down about 12-15 pounds. I would imagine that I'm just 1 month away from seeing a real difference. This is exciting.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:getdown: Way to go, Blue!

Bann

PREMO Member
Thank you and sorry for posting so much about jogging and what I'm eating. I suppose that by writing about it here, well it's keeping me honest. That and I could use all the encouragement I can get. This will be a long journey for me and I know it has to be completed. In just about a month from now I should be down about 12-15 pounds. I would imagine that I'm just 1 month away from seeing a real difference. This is exciting.

Keep it up, I am all about the motivation, and love to cheer on my buddies in their workouts! :yay:

BlueBird

Keep it up, I am all about the motivation, and love to cheer on my buddies in their workouts! :yay:

Thanks Bann and just for you I jogged 3.5 miles this evening. I've been using the Runtastic app which is great! My time was better too. 11:17 minute miles. Not to shabby for an old man

Bann

PREMO Member
Thanks Bann and just for you I jogged 3.5 miles this evening. I've been using the Runtastic app which is great! My time was better too. 11:17 minute miles. Not to shabby for an old man

Awesome! :cartwheel

My office wants to have a softball team again this year. (non-competitive, fun league) Last year, I sat out because of my arm/shoulder issues - which were ongoing aggravations from the past. I was never sure if it was workout related originally or what. Anyway, I was already going to an Ortho when the softball team idea came up, and even though it's not my throwing arm, it could have been an issue batting (as it was when I attempted to golf) the Ortho Doc said - "maybe next year". :lol: So I became the scorekeeper and cheerleader. :biggrin:

BUT! we are going to practice this spring to attempt to be better players in the fall and have even *more fun. MY big challenge is to see how I do. So I will cheer you on and in turn, I will report back on my softball practice progress!

I used to play softball as a kid and in my early 20's, so it's been a lonnnng time. I saw all the injuries the out of shape co-workers got while playing last year, (including the ones who are literally half my age, but very overweight and out of shape) and it's a lot harder when you're over 55, too. I won't over do it, though. I am only semi-athletic and in pretty good shape for my age. I've never been a cutthroat type of sports player, though, I want to play for fun and win, but I won't take chances and hurt myself. I've been taking Yoga since last August, so I am curious to see how much that has developed my upper body strength for batting and throwing. I've also been doing cardio workouts continuosly for the last 16 years and am hopeful I can run the bases competently. We will see! :lmao: