The Challenger Disaster

PeoplesElbow

I watched this the other morning, it is available on Amazon Prime for free. It isn't a particularly exciting movie, but I really enjoyed it because the Challenger disaster shaped much of my life. I was in 6th grade at home on a snow day watching the launch live when it happened. Then later in college the main protagonist's (Roger Boisjoly) experiences were used as a study in ethics by my Intro to Mechanical Engineering class and most recently I met Allan McDonald, the man who refused to sign off on the launch at a safety standown event.

I wish they didn't change the names, but I am sure a bit of liberty was taken with the film. If you have any interest in engineering disasters or ethics I suggest this movie.

I will also preface this by saying that studying engineering disasters is one of my main interests.

The Challenger Disaster

Grumpy

I gave a tour of our computer room at GSFC (IBM mainframes) to a group that included Judy Resnik a year or so before the disaster. I remember her because she thought a very mechanical piece of equipment (Mass Storage System) we had was so cool.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'll have to add this to my list on Prime.

I've watched a fair number of documentarys on the subject. Always wondered how much of it was whitewashed to get the interviewees to agree to be on camera.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I recall a college class that discussed the decision making process that went into approving the launch. SMEs said it was too cold to launch successfully. Management was feeling pressure to launch and over rode the dissenters. Talk about vindication.

I got ride of that school book at 1 of my purges. Now I'd like to read it again.