The complicated Murdaugh story unraveled

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I am so happy they got a conviction. The state's closing and response was excellent. As to the defense closing arguments, I didn't feel the attorney believed anything he was saying. Yes, I watched all day or was within earshot.
I didn't watch all of it, but would have it on in the background. But I was super busy today, so I missed a lot.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I have thought highly of this judge all along. Now, I'm curious, doesn't it seem he is flirting with the death penalty here?

Can he impose that even when the state didn't seek it? :sshrug:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I'm glad he is addressing this issue.

You know, something I learned yesterday is that it is extremely rare, less than 5-6 percent, of all court cases get overturned and that no case has been overturned when the perp takes the stand in his/her trial.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm glad he is addressing this issue.

You know, something I learned yesterday is that it is extremely rare, less than 5-6 percent, of all court cases get overturned and that no case has been overturned when the perp takes the stand in his/her trial.
News is saying there is no way this case will be reversed.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Life no parole in Maximum Security state prison. I have to believe that a criminal law family dynasty like this has participated in sending more than one innocent person to prison during their career as prosecutors. Wonder if he'll meet any of them in prison.

I'll bet $20 the family is further implicated in the death of the young gay man on the road by their house and the death of their housekeeper.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
>> News is saying there is no way this case will be reversed.

Lawyer I listened to said highly unlikely due the sole fact that he took the stand and gave up his 5th amendment right.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I saw the orange slides.
I learned something new. I always call shoes that flip flop when you walk in them "flip flops." Now, I know that these types of shoes are slides.

4 jurors have stepped forward, 2 black females and 2 white males. They have all said him taking the stand coupled with the kennel video sealed the deal for them. One of the males said the 2 not guilty verdicts were later worked out from the original vote. Those 2 didn't understand how the ammo was linked to the main house when they didn't have the gun. Once explained, they changed to guilty. I think the "undecided" was going to go either way.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I think jurors who do this should, at a minimum, receive the death penalty. Just MO.
Judge made it clear they could speak to anyone they wanted to after the verdict was given, and they were dismissed.

I was actually glad they did in this case, because the talking heads want to whine and cry that the jury found him guilty because of the financial information disclosed. That was far from the truth. In fact, the attorneys from both sides said they hoped they would step forward and talk so they could see what was right or wrong. They were curious themselves.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Looks like Alex is an even bigger scumbag that many people thought. Here is the tale of 2 young girls who he and his banker buddy abused and stole from. Well worth the watch.

TLDR;
  • Tire blows out, car rolls and smashes into trees.
  • Mom and brother dead, 2 girls survive, oldest girl nearly loses leg.
  • Father and rest of family are real pieces of crap. Father could care less and family passes them around for years like a hot potato.
  • Murdaugh somehow takes their case and reassures them that he is a compassionate, loving lawyer who is going to get money for them so they'll never have to work a day in their life. After all, he too is a loving father and they have his complete sympathy.
  • He does in fact get them a million or so. However, kids are minors, so he is sweet and loving enough to set up a conservatorship for them. He takes a measly 5%/yr to administer this for them. His banker buddy is also involved. Don't forget that he probably already got a 1/3 as the attorney (not sure of his exact percentage, but this is typical for court wins).
  • Over the course of the years, Alex fights the girls on every small request for money, from cell phones to a car so the oldest can get to work. When 17, the oldest wants to buy a house for her and her sister because they are sick of family constantly passing them around. They need stability. Banker fights her every step of the way, finally agreeing to some shitbag house she didn't want. Banker doesn't even counsel the children in his charge on responsibilities of ownership like getting insurance.
  • Oldest become age of majority and time for the conservatorship to be closed and funds to be transferred to her. Has meeting with banker who hands her a box of paperwork. He says good luck and walks off.
  • Seems banker**** and Alex have been stealing their money for years. Hiding it as "loans." Annual reports to the court only showed the money as "loans" and no further details like who or for what.
  • When asked about Alex's testimony during the trial about her case, she is mostly upset that he didn't even mention/remember that her brother also died that day, not the fact the Alex stole this money from her and her sister.
  • Banker buddy already found guilty but awaiting sentencing (The legal system in SC apparently works very slowly when wealthy people are involved). Has petitioned for a new trial.
I find it hard to believe that his wife didn't know who he really was. Very hard to believe. She only wanted out of the marriage after all of the *hit started to hit the fan. Not saying that she deserved to be murdered.

Last edited:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I find it hard to believe that his wife didn't know who he really was. Very hard to believe. She only wanted out of the marriage after all of the *hit started to hit the fan. Not saying that she deserved to be murdered.

What a rotten SOB to do that to those girls. As to Maggie, I think she was mostly clueless. Her sister testified that Maggie was disorganized, carefree, and easy going, the complete opposite of herself. Sister also said she, herself, balances the checkbook to the penny but Maggie was never that detail oriented. Maggie had a check bounce weeks before the murders and I think it was at that point she raised an eyebrow.

Personally, I don't understand how anyone can be that disconnected from their finances over time. Eventually one will find out what the other is doing one way or another. We know a couple who at the end of the year owed the IRS over 10K and that opened up a HUGE can of worms as to her overspending and shorting her withholdings during the year.

Something in all this financial theft Alex did doesn't match up. It was an awful lot of money, well beyond his current level of obligations and his bs pill addiction.

Russell Laffitte was convicted in Nov. 2022, and here it is 4 months later, and that POS is still awaiting sentencing and out free in society although they say he faces a potential 30-year sentence. As of today, there is no sentencing date even set yet. :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He's going to have a plus size butthole the first night.

That is an icky looking guy. So the moral of the story is: don't marry icky guys and certainly don't have kids with them, no matter how much money they have. At least Scott Peterson was good looking.