The day after Nancy Pelosi is sworn in as speaker

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
The stock market usually does better when capital hill and the white house have different political parties in control. The theory is that the less the government interferes with business, the better it does.

Pete said:
The stock market drops like a rock. Coincidence? Hmmmmmm

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
forestal said:
The stock market usually does better when capital hill and the white house have different political parties in control. The theory is that the less the government interferes with business, the better it does.

Sounds a lot like the market is definitely not gonna like the Dems being in charge of the House or the Senate.

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
How is congress going to get any legislation past Bush that affects business?

The most they can do is have hearings where they hold businessmen under oath, as the Republicans would never do.

Lenny said:
Sounds a lot like the market is definitely not gonna like the Dems being in charge of the House or the Senate.

Pete

Repete
forestal said:
That is not a theory it is a fact. A fact the democrats hate because they want to tax the ever loving shiat and meddle in business. You see they have this bullchit idea that government creates jobs when in fact it is business that creates jobs.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Pete said:
That is not a theory it is a fact. A fact the democrats hate because they want to tax the ever loving shiat and meddle in business. You see they have this bullchit idea that government creates jobs when in fact it is business that creates jobs.

The Democrats need to focus on jobs HERE. Too many companies (espically tech) are going overseas and getting tax breaks to do so.

It pisses me off everytime I call a company and I can't understand who the hell I'm talking to.

I think no mattter what effect it may have, economic policies are going to meet a veto pen. If the Democrats roll back the Bush Tax Cuts, and I think it's the first thing they'll do, then they're instantly going to meet alot of opposition from the President and Senate Republicans. And the Democrats do not have enough political capital to override a Presidential veto. The Democrats made it clear during the State of the Union that they want to raise taxes.

The Democrats made clear they want to roll back the Bush Tax Cuts by this reaction to Mr. Bush asking Congress that the tax cuts be made permanent:

The Democrats need to focus on jobs HERE. Too many companies (espically tech) are going overseas and getting tax breaks to do so.

It pisses me off everytime I call a company and I can't understand who the hell I'm talking to.

I think no mattter what effect it may have, economic policies are going to meet a veto pen. If the Democrats roll back the Bush Tax Cuts, and I think it's the first thing they'll do, then they're instantly going to meet alot of opposition from the President and Senate Republicans. And the Democrats do not have enough political capital to override a Presidential veto. The Democrats made it clear during the State of the Union that they want to raise taxes.

The Democrats made clear they want to roll back the Bush Tax Cuts by this reaction to Mr. Bush asking Congress that the tax cuts be made permanent:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/AndyMarquisLIVE/nbc_stateoftheunion_congressdivided.jpg

I've heard Nancy Pelosi and other Senate Democrats talk about cancelling the tax cuts. Cancel to me means to do away with.

Last edited:

ylexot

Super Genius
forestal said:

The most they can do is have hearings where they hold businessmen under oath, as the Republicans would never do.
House Rules Change Clears Way for Tax Increases
The Democrats also approved the so-called "pay-as-you-go" rule as part of the House rules package. The rule says that when taxes are cut, lawmakers must offset any revenue loss with either new or higher taxes elsewhere, or reductions in spending.
The pay-as-you-go rule is a bad idea since tax cuts usually result in revenue increases by spurring businesses who pay taxes. And who really thinks that they are going to cut taxes and spending? :bigwhoop:

Of course, maybe they can "waive" that rule as well. :ohwell:

ylexot

Super Genius
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to respond to this...I think we have plenty of jobs here :shrug:

Just look at the low unemployment numbers plus the high number of employed illegal aliens...we have more jobs here than we have people to do them with.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
ylexot said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to respond to this...I think we have plenty of jobs here :shrug:

Just look at the low unemployment numbers plus the high number of employed illegal aliens...we have more jobs here than we have people to do them with.

Raises in the standard of living in other countries also means more consumers for our goods. :yay:

ylexot

Super Genius
DEM VOW ALREADY BROKEN: HOUSE SETS 4-DAY WORK WEEK

This has some pretty good zings in it...
Democrats ran to expand the work week in the House to 5 days.

But guess how long that lasted?

Not even one week!
Hill sources claim The House is taking Monday 'off' this week, because of the championship football game between Ohio State and the University of Florida.

And, of course, the following Monday is the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.

100 hours...starting...soon
:lmao:

B

Bruzilla

AndyMarquisLIVE said:

There were two major business sectors that have moved overseas in the past 20 years, and they were manufacturing and call center/customer service... which is why you have had trouble understanding people when you call for help. Many Americans have felt the same way, and over the past couple of years most call service business has come back from overseas, but that's been very largely ignored by the media.

We've pretty much lost the manufacturing sector due to the left in this country. The labor unions chose to push jobs overseas rather than make concessions, and environmental and employment regulations were making products so expensive that they reached a price point where people were cutting back on purchases... so it came down to move overseas and lower your price points, or stay in the US and go out of business.

Countries like India, Pakistan, China, Mexico, and others now have the manufacturing jobs... and they have all of the environmental and labor force headaches that go with them, and we have all the low-cost products benefits. If we get these jobs back, we're going to have to deal with the headaches and the higher costs of products, so I would just as soon keep those jobs overseas.

ylexot

Super Genius
Clock ticking on Dems' 100-hour agenda
just as the official clock for a basketball or football game stops for time-outs and commercial breaks, Democrats aren't counting the minutes spent on business unrelated to those six designated bills.

So while the House had been in session for nearly 56 hours since the 110th Congress was sworn in Jan. 4, the clock on Pelosi's Web site suggested that less than half that time — 23 hours, 34 minutes — had elapsed by the close of business Friday.

"We're just counting the legislative hours," Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill explained.
I guess we should have gotten a definition of 100 hours... :ohwell:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
forestal said:

So all this "First 100 hours" rush of legislation is posing? Another empty gesture without vision by the Democrats?

Thanks for making that so clear.

MMDad

Lem Putt
ylexot said:
Clock ticking on Dems' 100-hour agenda I guess we should have gotten a definition of 100 hours... :ohwell:
I like it! I could run the Marine Corps marathon in record time!

Sprint 100 yards, come back tomorrow.

I had assumed that "first 100 hours" meant 4 days plus 4 hours. Silly me for thinking Queen Nancy meant what she said.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
ylexot said:
That's what I thought too.

Democrat time is a lot like Democrat economics. "We will decide when it's good and when it's not."

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
forestal said:
SO how do you explain all the record years with a Republican in Office and the Republicans in control??

I think you mean it does crappy when the Islamocrats have the white house, House, and the Senate, does better when the control is split, but does the best when Republicans control both.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
forestal said:

You mean like the Republicans did after the Clinton legacy and they caught all the wrongdoing that had been going on under the Clinton Brothel??