The demise of the 80% receiver?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
ofc

cannot have people making their own weapons ..... :CDS:

that would be anarchy

ofc the result lies at the feet of the retards making Poly Lowers in 2 types of plastic

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
o

ofc the result lies at the feet of the retards making Poly Lowers in 2 types of plastic

I disagree. From what I've read, ATF issued this new ruling to stop the finishing of the 80% receivers "for others" in and by shops with advanced milling/machining capabilities. Now, anyone can still buy and finish their own receiver(s), but must do it with "own owned" equipment or machines.

nutz

I disagree. From what I've read, ATF issued this new ruling to stop the finishing of the 80% receivers "for others" in and by shops with advanced milling/machining capabilities. Now, anyone can still buy and finish their own receiver(s), but must do it with "own owned" equipment or machines.

For some reason, this new rule seems sensible. The machine shop/gunsmith is technically "manufacturing" a firearm, they just need the correct license to do so whereas, an individual doing there own still doesn't. Of course, making the licensing process and costs prohibitive for doing one or two is just a bonus for the general gun fearing population.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
IMHO

that's retarded ... as long as I am the one doing the milling, why does it matter who owns the 20k CnC Machine

what if I rent the machinery

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

true IIRC ... the feds flat out banned those receivers and raided a couple places to confiscate stock

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...raids-ares-armory-over-plastic-parts-n1810321

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Search Warrant: Gun Stores “Helping” Build 80% Lowers Deemed Illegal

On April 3, 2013, UC#1 met TURNER at LCG. UC#1 removed an AR-15-style pistol off the display wall of LCG and explained that he wanted to model the pistol after the one on display. TURNER handed UC#1 an AR-15 blank that was made of aluminum. UC#1 asked how long it takes to make the AR-15 blank into a firearm. TURNER informed UC#1 that such a firearm could be made in about two hours. TURNER informed UC#1 that UC#1 would drill five holes and then “Jimmy” would “clean it up.” TURNER is pictured below in a screenshot from the video recorded by UC#1.

TURNER identified “Jimmy” (individual later identified as EMILIANO CORTEZ) and indicated UC#1 should follow EMILIANO CORTEZ. EMILIANO CORTEZ and TURNER guided UC#1 out of the firearm shop (located within the plastering business) towards the back of the business. Upon arriving at the rear of the business, TURNER told UC#1 that EMILIANO CORTEZ was going to set the AR-15 blank into a “jig.”

TURNER informed UC#1 that UC#1 would have to drill five holes in the AR-15 blank, and then EMILIANO CORTEZ would mill the remainder to complete the receiver. UC#1 was directed to use a drill press and instructed how to operate the drill press – in essence, UC#1 was operating the drill press as a surrogate for EMILIANO CORTEZ – EMILIANO CORTEZ directed each and every move made by UC#1. EMILIANO CORTEZ would motion to the UC#1 when to stop and reposition the AR-15 blank. Subsequently, TURNER took UC#1 back to the front of LCG and informed UC#1 that EMILIANO CORTEZ would finish the receiver within the next hour and a half.

:cds:

helping a guy operate a drill press makes him your surrogate .... JFC how long until they want YT Instructional Videos banned

Midnightrider

:cds:

helping a guy operate a drill press makes him your surrogate .... JFC how long until they want YT Instructional Videos banned

You have got to read all the words....

then EMILIANO CORTEZ would mill the remainder to complete the receiver.

Well theres your problem.

As nutz said, seems like a reasonable law for a change.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For some reason, this new rule seems sensible. The machine shop/gunsmith is technically "manufacturing" a firearm, they just need the correct license to do so whereas, an individual doing there own still doesn't. Of course, making the licensing process and costs prohibitive for doing one or two is just a bonus for the general gun fearing population.

I agree. I expected something like this to come down eventually; the 80% receiver market is..or at least was...huge. And nothing in the recent clarification from BATF prevents someone from finishing there own if they possess the capabilities and skill to do so. That said..I've seen pics of some home-finished receivers on the internet that were hideously crude. Whatever. I personally don't care for AR-15s and clones; just not the type and size of rifle I like to shoot.

nutz

I agree. I expected something like this to come down eventually; the 80% receiver market is..or at least was...huge. And nothing in the recent clarification from BATF prevents someone from finishing there own if they possess the capabilities and skill to do so. That said..I've seen pics of some home-finished receivers on the internet that were hideously crude. Whatever. I personally don't care for AR-15s and clones; just not the type and size of rifle I like to shoot.

Another money choice thing......80% = $151.00, 100% = $175.00 + FFL fees

http://www.jtactical.com/AR-15-Complete-Lower-Receiver_p_17.html

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Another money choice thing......80% = $151.00, 100% = $175.00 + FFL fees

http://www.jtactical.com/AR-15-Complete-Lower-Receiver_p_17.html

I've seen 80% receivers for $70. But the bigger deal in MD is the fact that the AR and clones has been a regulated firearm...and then virtually banned altogether after last October, some variants excepted. That is certainly why the 80% receivers were very popular around here. Federal law allows individuals to build their own.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
an 80% 1911 is a bit trickier ....

AK Flats are the way to go

and an 80% Mosin would probably be very difficult

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
and an 80% Mosin would probably be very difficult

wtf. I'm pretty sure that all 80% receivers, and even all the flats and marked tubes out there, are associated with semi-auto rifles or guns of one sort or another. Last I fired any of my Mosins..they were still bolt action.

Four or five years ago, you could buy "80%" receivers, blanks, flats and tubes for probably a dozen or more different guns. Not any more. They've steadily disappeared.

Last edited:

nutz

wtf. I'm pretty sure that all 80% receivers, and even all the flats and marked tubes out there, are associated with semi-auto rifles or guns of one sort or another. Last I fired any of my Mosins..they were still bolt action.

Four or five years ago, you could buy "80%" receivers, blanks, flats and tubes for probably a dozen or more different guns. Not any more. They've steadily disappeared.

More of a demand thing than anything probably. Vast majorities of our population have 0 clue where the water in their sink comes from and where it goes when it leaves the sink. Few attempt auto repairs at home (it's too complicated) and even fewer have the skill set, equipment and/or desire to complete anything that requires time and effort (auto restoration, home repair, welding, gun making, etc.). They just call someone and then go play or go back to work to earn more to pay the someone they hired.

All but one of my machinist friends have retired now. They all tried showing someone how to do what they did, no one ever stuck around for long. The doors are closed and the equipment sold off in bits and pieces.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
All but one of my machinist friends have retired now. They all tried showing someone how to do what they did, no one ever stuck around for long. The doors are closed and the equipment sold off in bits and pieces.

True. Even basic automotive machine services are getting impossible to find.