The dumbest government (fed, state, or city)responses to COVID

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have three:

Shutting down laundromats. Okay, so where are people who don't have a washer and dryer supposed to wash their clothes?

When PA thought it was a good idea to shut down their rest areas so truckers bringing them food and supplies wouldn't have anywhere to stop and use the restroom.

Liquor stores are open but AA meetings are banned.

Post your favorites!

Reactions: BOP

DaSDGuy

Closing the libraries. Many people don't have computers or internet at home. The computers in the libraries are their only life line to pay bills, look for jobs, sign up for unemployment, etc. Closing the libraries impacted the poor more than anyone else.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Closing the libraries. Many people don't have computers or internet at home. The computers in the libraries are their only life line to pay bills, look for jobs, sign up for unemployment, etc. Closing the libraries impacted the poor more than anyone else.
And don't forget Story Time....

Grumpy

I'd love to know what percentage of the adult popuation doesn't have a smart phone or computer. 5% 10% ??? I have no clue.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'd love to know what percentage of the adult popuation doesn't have a smart phone or computer. 5% 10% ??? I have no clue.
With the Obamaphone program, i can't imagine it was much.

BernieP

Resident PIA
ORDERING Nursing homes and rehabilitation facilities to accept hospital patients who either had COVID-19 or were exposed.
ORDERING That those same institutions should not test the new patients as a condition to admit.
Shutting down everything but leaving the subways open.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I have three:

Shutting down laundromats. Okay, so where are people who don't have a washer and dryer supposed to wash their clothes?

When PA thought it was a good idea to shut down their rest areas so truckers bringing them food and supplies wouldn't have anywhere to stop and use the restroom.

Liquor stores are open but AA meetings are banned.

Post your favorites!

I honestly feel the purpose behind these closures is to make ordinary people suffer, on every level. When the people have been brought to their knees, they will beg for the government to help them, making us all dependent on the government. Of course, as long as we're armed, the government knows they can't control us. So, wait for that to come next.

Reactions: BOP

Hijinx

I don't have a smart phone..
I cannot see carrying a $500 dollar item on my person all the time, and I don't feel like paying the price for it's service.
I have a wireless at home and I and my wife and I both have flip phones w/text and the Bill is already $100 dollars a month. I refuse to pay more.

Jurgo

This happened to a relative in VA. The government shut down free, boys-only babysitting provided by and at the local Catholic church. Sad.

Rommey

Closing recreational activities such as golf. They could have put in place rules that only one per cart, and spaced out foursomes so they wouldn't naturally gather at holes waiting to tee off. It's not like you are going to be close to someone swinging a club.

Closing beaches, and more specifically, running people out of the water when they were all alone either surfing or paddle boarding.

Moving the goalposts in to why we were locking down. First it was to flatten the curve and not overrun the medical facilities. When many facilities went unused/underused, they said it was to prevent the spread. Then it was basically because the government could say so. We need testing!...we need a vaccine!...Combine that with the mask requirements...

The way the government reacted to the virus and social distancing, then not having a problem with protestors gathering by the thousands.

Closing churches while allowing big-box stores to remain open. There should have been equal standards applied. For instance, if the guideline was x number of people per 1000 feet of space, then does it really matter if the space is Home Depot or a church? Doubling down was trying to prevent the churches that were thinking outside of the box and doing car/drive-in services. Tripling down was when they finally relented and allowed churches to open, they put a ridiculously small number allowed (25% capacity, but not to exceed 10 people...most churches hold more than 40 people). Note: I am agnostic, so I had no dog in the hunt as to what happened to churches; I just looked at it as a group treated very unfairly.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Closing churches while allowing big-box stores to remain open. There should have been equal standards applied. For instance, if the guideline was x number of people per 1000 feet of space, then does it really matter if the space is Home Depot or a church?

Churches and big-box stores are completely different settings. When you're in church, you get your seat and stay there. Keeping this so-called "safe distance" is guaranteed. When you're in a store, you are passing people, following people, standing next to people; all at close distances. If any place should have been opened it should have been the churches. I think the reason for closing churches was obvious - our governments didn't see them as essential; even though the free practice of religion is protected in our constitution regardless of any sort of crisis.

Rommey

Churches and big-box stores are completely different settings. When you're in church, you get your seat and stay there. Keeping this so-called "safe distance" is guaranteed. When you're in a store, you are passing people, following people, standing next to people; all at close distances. If any place should have been opened it should have been the churches. I think the reason for closing churches was obvious - our governments didn't see them as essential; even though the free practice of religion is protected in our constitution regardless of any sort of crisis.
I agree...if social distancing works, and the churches maintained some sort of plan to keep people distanced, then it seems plausible there was no more risk than being in a big box store.

Additionally, I didn't like how they let "essential" businesses open and not "non-essential" businesses. If the social distancing protocols for Home Depot were OK, then why not similar protocols for Bed Bath and Beyond or Burlington Coat Factory (just a couple of examples)?