The Emmys

NOTSMC

I had it on as background noise last night while I did something else. Anyhoo. For those that missed it, Christina Applegate...:bawl:Loved her performance in Dead To Me.

SamSpade

Wait... the Emmys were on?!!
Exactly. But I have to admit, unless you watch a lot of the big four networks, you probably didn't see much advertising for it, either.

As much as people are getting bored by award shows and are tuning out - more and more, the competing streaming channels are going to be making it harder to even know about it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Exactly. But I have to admit, unless you watch a lot of the big four networks, you probably didn't see much advertising for it, either.

As much as people are getting bored by award shows and are tuning out - more and more, the competing streaming channels are going to be making it harder to even know about it.
I haven't watched any of the "I Love Me" shows in years.

SamSpade

I haven't watched any of the "I Love Me" shows in years.
MAYBE years ago, I watched the Oscars. Going to see movies, you tended to favor this or that movie or actor, and you wanted to see them get recognition. But the studios started making some movies just for the Academy - ones most people won't see or won't even see until the awards are given, because unless they win, theaters aren't going to bother carrying it.

WORSE - *their* idea of excellence so very much differs from what the audience thinks - and so movies and performances that are studies in perversion or the darker parts of humanity are hailed as brilliant - and feel good enjoyable fare is considered trite. My wife feels that movies like American Beauty is seriously vulgar crap. I think the English Patient might be the most boring movie ever made.

And every movie that topped the list for the past ten years are just, mostly, artsy dreck. EVEN WHEN you look at just the nominees - the overwhelming majority will be movies you never saw, don't intend to see or very likely NEVER HEARD OF.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
MAYBE years ago, I watched the Oscars. Going to see movies, you tended to favor this or that movie or actor, and you wanted to see them get recognition. But the studios started making some movies just for the Academy - ones most people won't see or won't even see until the awards are given, because unless they win, theaters aren't going to bother carrying it.

WORSE - *their* idea of excellence so very much differs from what the audience thinks - and so movies and performances that are studies in perversion or the darker parts of humanity are hailed as brilliant - and feel good enjoyable fare is considered trite. My wife feels that movies like American Beauty is seriously vulgar crap. I think the English Patient might be the most boring movie ever made.

And every movie that topped the list for the past ten years are just, mostly, artsy dreck. EVEN WHEN you look at just the nominees - the overwhelming majority will be movies you never saw, don't intend to see or very likely NEVER HEARD OF.
All of that and now include all the wokeness. Now the woke remakes. Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Brad and Angelina) have now been replaced by an Asian Mrs. and a black Mr.

SamSpade

All of that and now include all the wokeness. Now the woke remakes. Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Brad and Angelina) have now been replaced by an Asian Mrs. and a black Mr.
Heck, REGULAR TV programming is getting more like that - almost every time wife and I check out a new show - lead character is differently gendered - at least one gay couple - and then a crayon box full of every sample you can guess - and far too many story lines either have something to do with all that, or they have recurring back story lines dealing with it. If it's a new cop show, you can bet it will have episodes about racist cops. A new medical show will have episodes about gender, race and so forth.

I think 911 Lone Star is the poster child for this, but more and more TV is becoming unwatchable.

They don't get that we watch TV and movies to be entertained, not "taught" or "englightened". I don't care if it's something I actually agree with - I can't stand propaganda even when it's crap I AGREE with. I want to laugh, or be on the edge of my seat - but I don't want a sermon.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Heck, REGULAR TV programming is getting more like that - almost every time wife and I check out a new show - lead character is differently gendered - at least one gay couple - and then a crayon box full of every sample you can guess - and far too many story lines either have something to do with all that, or they have recurring back story lines dealing with it. If it's a new cop show, you can bet it will have episodes about racist cops. A new medical show will have episodes about gender, race and so forth.

I think 911 Lone Star is the poster child for this, but more and more TV is becoming unwatchable.

They don't get that we watch TV and movies to be entertained, not "taught" or "englightened". I don't care if it's something I actually agree with - I can't stand propaganda even when it's crap I AGREE with. I want to laugh, or be on the edge of my seat - but I don't want a sermon.
I also notice some commercials too.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I saw a little bit about the Emmys on Twitter.
Carol Burnett and Joan Collins, both 90, were 2 of the presenters.
Both looked really good for that age.