The EMP threat

mAlice

professional daydreamer
It's always a possibility, even if no one is talking about it. So many things could happen, you just prepare the best you can. I've turned my 2 car garage into a preppers paradise. Hubby is stalking the commissary sidewalk promo as I type this.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm wondering how my 40-year-old vehicles will make out in an EMP event?....said event predicted to kill most modern automobiles.

And my Nintendo game...I'd hate to lose that. ;-p

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'm wondering how my 40-year-old vehicles will make out in an EMP event?....said event predicted to kill most modern automobiles.

And my Nintendo game...I'd hate to lose that. ;-p

I watched a video a few years ago, where a man put some electronics in a 50 gal steel barrel and did a test. I don't recall how he tested it, but the electronics survived.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I watched a video a few years ago, where a man put some electronics in a 50 gal steel barrel and did a test. I don't recall how he tested it, but the electronics survived.

Cars and many other computer-operated devices have little to no protection against any significant EMP event. The various electronic components operate at such low voltage and current levels that they are fairly easily killed with a modest spike created by EMP.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Cars and many other computer-operated devices have little to no protection against any significant EMP event. The various electronic components operate at such low voltage and current levels that they are fairly easily killed with a modest spike created by EMP.

I know. We plan to add horse and buggy, when we can afford it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I know. We plan to add horse and buggy, when we can afford it.

LOL...I hope I don't have to resort to that level of transportation....I'm sure my 40-yo vehicles can survive about anything. But we do have a horse already, so... ;-)

Bonehead

That's why I own a 35 year old mercedes diesel...no chip, and it starts reliably after sitting for a month. Lots of trunk space for whatever...

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'm waiting for Tranny Maxine to explain to me how this would be Trump's fault.

Wait... that won't happen. I have her on ignore. :lol:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm wondering how my 40-year-old vehicles will make out in an EMP event? .... said event predicted to kill most modern automobiles.

I doubt it ... but store some extra DuraSpark Boxes in EFL shielded .50 Cal Ammo Cans

[seal gaps with Aluminum Duct Tape as well]