The EPA report on fracking.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Oh please, we all know that report is a result of the oil and gas lobby having more cash to grease palms than the environmental lobby! :sarcasm:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Might be greener and probably a good idea, but I doubt that comforts those who have had water supplies contaminated.

I have seen zero credible evidence that fracking has contaminated anyone's water supply. I've only seen debunked stories made up to support the original anti-fracking meme....and it turns out, in fact, that a LOT of people have underground-supplied water that comingles with methane that then escapes with the water. Been that way forever.

Heck, that's one of the "features" that intrigues me about some of the "retirement" properties I've looked at in the West Virginia mountains. Free gas come with many of them...enough to stay/remain completely off the grid in many cases.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Heck, that's one of the "features" that intrigues me about some of the "retirement" properties I've looked at in the West Virginia mountains. Free gas come with many of them...enough to stay/remain completely off the grid in many cases.

I own the gas rights to property in WV but don't actually own the property. Depending on your intentions, the gas rights is something to keep in mind when buying.

I have seen zero credible evidence that fracking has contaminated anyone's water supply. I've only seen debunked stories made up to support the original anti-fracking meme....and it turns out, in fact, that a LOT of people have underground-supplied water that comingles with methane that then escapes with the water. Been that way forever.

I guess I haven't been following that closely. Debunked? The woman's tap water that would ignite was faked? Like you said it seems like it would be easy enough to let it escape into a holding tank.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I guess I haven't been following that closely. Debunked? The woman's tap water that would ignite was faked? Like you said it seems like it would be easy enough to let it escape into a holding tank.

Let me repeat:

and it turns out, in fact, that a LOT of people have underground-supplied water that comingles with methane that then escapes with the water. Been that way forever.

:buddies:

I also wonder if there are indeed methods for separating it effectively...since the "problem" has been around as long as indoor plumbing has been around.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I own the gas rights to property in WV but don't actually own the property. Depending on your intentions, the gas rights is something to keep in mind when buying.

Oh heck yeah...that is one thing I learned early on. :buddies:You have to find out right away which mineral and timber rights convey and which don't. And sometimes the current owner will have rights..to a permanent supply of free natural gas, for example, that expire when they sell, so you have to be really careful.

Of course some of the cheapest properties were being sold as literally nothing other than surface...everything above and below it was owned by someone else.

I own a 1/5 interest in oil property in Texas. You wanna see some arcane and convoluted rules on the oil rights...that's where they are.:whistle:

SamSpade

And this is caused by fracking? People have been igniting water from wells for decades. Swamp gas igniting has been enshrined in folklore for *centuries*. It's part of the origin of things like fairies and the will o the wisp.