The Evil That Is The "New York Times"

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Awhile back a blog I follow (and have recommended), Slate Star Codex was shut down by its author because the NYT was going to publish the author's true name in an article they were writing about the blog and its popularity. The author, not wanting to cause problems for his patients and his employer (he's a psychiatrist), refused to play along with either the article or the NYT in general (this was clearly the correct, ethical decision).

As a result, the NYT threatened to doxx him. When the author eventually self-outed (he has since kicked off a new blog) the NYT decided to publish a hit piece on the author. Here's the author's response:

At the end of the blog post, the author recommends the following:

I'm sure most would not have the time or interest to read the former, but I heartily recommend the latter. What makes this even more interesting is that both authors are avowedly on the Left and feel this way about one of the primary mouthpieces of the Left (they are angry, with the latter advocating a surprising solution to the problem that is the NYT). What makes this even more interesting (to me, anyway) is that they still don't understand that the NYT (and its evils) are a symptom of the ideology they support.

So to the former - the psychiatrist - I say, "Physician, heal thyself!" Actually, in both cases I suspect they rationalize that what the NYT is is just an aberration and not representative of their ideology. But when we're committed to The Cause we will believe what we want to believe, right?

For most here on the forum, these two posts are probably of no interest and don't come close to crossing the WGAS threshold. But for those who might be interested let me say that they are a bit long. Having said that, I thought them very interesting; not only for the reason I cited above, but also as for their Zeitgeist value.

One final comment. The author who was to be the subject of the NYT article and I agree on just about nothing. But he is an excellent writer, a profound thinker (even if I think his cleverness trips him up), and a fantastic conveyor of info to us lay readers on matters of psychiatry.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That was a good read ..... did you pedantic idiot in the comment section MarxBro

He sounded just Like Sapidus

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

BOP

Awhile back a blog I follow (and have recommended), Slate Star Codex was shut down by its author because the NYT was going to publish the author's true name in an article they were writing about the blog and its popularity. The author, not wanting to cause problems for his patients and his employer (he's a psychiatrist), refused to play along with either the article or the NYT in general (this was clearly the correct, ethical decision).

As a result, the NYT threatened to doxx him. When the author eventually self-outed (he has since kicked off a new blog) the NYT decided to publish a hit piece on the author. Here's the author's response:

At the end of the blog post, the author recommends the following:

I'm sure most would not have the time or interest to read the former, but I heartily recommend the latter. What makes this even more interesting is that both authors are avowedly on the Left and feel this way about one of the primary mouthpieces of the Left (they are angry, with the latter advocating a surprising solution to the problem that is the NYT). What makes this even more interesting (to me, anyway) is that they still don't understand that the NYT (and its evils) are a symptom of the ideology they support.

So to the former - the psychiatrist - I say, "Physician, heal thyself!" Actually, in both cases I suspect they rationalize that what the NYT is is just an aberration and not representative of their ideology. But when we're committed to The Cause we will believe what we want to believe, right?

For most here on the forum, these two posts are probably of no interest and don't come close to crossing the WGAS threshold. But for those who might be interested let me say that they are a bit long. Having said that, I thought them very interesting; not only for the reason I cited above, but also as for their Zeitgeist value.

One final comment. The author who was to be the subject of the NYT article and I agree on just about nothing. But he is an excellent writer, a profound thinker (even if I think his cleverness trips him up), and a fantastic conveyor of info to us lay readers on matters of psychiatry.

--- End of line (MCP)
That marxbro in the comments is a real piece of work.

BOP

That was a good read ..... did you pedantic idiot in the comment section MarxBro

He sounded just Like Sapidus
Yeah, I saw that, and came to the same conclusion. As one poster said it "he's very literal; he doesn't understand metaphor."

Well, except when it suits his purpose.

BOP

For those who are interested, here's an article from Reason about this incident:

The NYT truly is evil. And totalitarian.

--- End of line (MCP)
"Slate Star Codex was a window into the Silicon Valley psyche," writes Metz. "There are good reasons to try and understand that psyche, because the decisions made by tech companies and the people who run them eventually affect millions. And Silicon Valley, a community of iconoclasts, is struggling to decide what's off limits for all of us."

I am in no ways being dismissive when I say this, (because, as the author notes, "What the Times actually means is that not enough speech is being rendered off-limits....") but drugs are bad, m'kay.