The farrier Angus White...

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
ive seen horses at linden farms been beat with a rasp and they were never the same after that!!! but my horse has very good ground manners so she never got beat thankfully...but personally i dont like angus very much thats why i havent used him at all since i have been on my own im really not impressed with his work...at linden i literally didnt have a choice (angus didnt work there)...i would try calling spencer bottoms maybe, hes my farrier and very patient ive used him for a good while and have never seen him touch a horse like that...and i think it was just fine to tell him what you wanted not cause you were being a no it all but because you knew what needed to be done for a show horse...and angus prob. didnt know that your horse was about to be a big time show horse next yr. when your morgan farrier is going to have to fix what angus not nessesarily ruined but kinda messed up what you were going for...

Im glad someone understand where Im coming from. I know Angus does a lot of horses in this area and so Im sure I stepped on some toes with my post lol

I'm curious why you didn't express your concerns to him after the job was finished at least since you say you didn't want to say anything mid-job for fear of the job not being finished or finshed inappropriately...
FYI, Katrina Ranum is an excellent barefoot-only "farrier". She doesn't come cheap so she may not be what you're looking for as the $90 for two front shoes seemed to be too high for you but she's in AA county.

I didn’t express my concerns because 1.) I was really angry and so I figured it best to just leave and cool before I opened my big mouth, 2.) he was already busy with another horse by the time I put mine back into the stall; I didn’t want to interrupt the job he was doing on a fellow boarder’s horse, and 3.) all the boarders there seem to be OK with him and I didn’t want to be the “new girl” already starting trouble and get a “What, is our farrier not good enough for you?” attitude.

Thank you for the information on Katrina. Ill look her up. I don’t mind paying good money for a GOOD job. I think that $90 is high for fronts, but it is what it is if the job is good and my horse dosnt get hit with a rasp…

2baymares

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.

I don't agree with hitting a horse with a rasp either. No matter what the situation.

deuce

I think that as a defense mechanism the rasp gets used fairly often - farriers are in a vulnerable position sometimes especially with unpredictable young ones or those that misbehave. It is just a way to say "get off my back" - someone has to be the leader in the relationship and a 1000 lb animal can be a little dangerous if not disciplined. The ones I have seen use the rasp usually get the message across quickly with the flat end on a fat belly.

appaholic

Im glad someone understand where Im coming from. I know Angus does a lot of horses in this area and so Im sure I stepped on some toes with my post lol

I didn’t express my concerns because 1.) I was really angry and so I figured it best to just leave and cool before I opened my big mouth, 2.) he was already busy with another horse by the time I put mine back into the stall; I didn’t want to interrupt the job he was doing on a fellow boarder’s horse, and 3.) all the boarders there seem to be OK with him and I didn’t want to be the “new girl” already starting trouble and get a “What, is our farrier not good enough for you?” attitude.

Thank you for the information on Katrina. Ill look her up. I don’t mind paying good money for a GOOD job. I think that $90 is high for fronts, but it is what it is if the job is good and my horse dosnt get hit with a rasp…

IMO alot of local farriers are an "odd" lot! Please, Oh Farrier Gods help us in Southern Maryland!
I just had a similiar event with a local farrier who I could NEVER recommend! 1- I did not like his cocky attitude, but mostly I don't understand "the I don't want to be told/informed thing"! There is no way any farrier(or person) can know all the rules for each breed or organization that all their clients show in, so as a farrier why not welcome a partnership? (ie - the vet even asks what you intend to do with said horse... = professional and owner exchange) And in my case my comments were notes directly from Woodside on vets letterhead! To me his "attitude" just showed a lack of knowledge and no partnership skills with client or vet really wanted. Which seems to be a trend locally.
I just want a Paul Goodness or a member of Woodside farrier team who will come to St. Mary's co. Do we really have to drive 2-4 hours each way to get knowledgable, reliable, and kind farriers who want to establish a professional working relationship? I hate to judge the whole barrel on the ones I have seen so if anyone knows a farrier who fits this ID and can take on clients please let our forum know. Until then I guess I will keep driving and praying!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
IMO alot of local farriers are an "odd" lot! Please, Oh Farrier Gods help us in Southern Maryland!
I just had a similiar event with a local farrier who I could NEVER recommend! 1- I did not like his cocky attitude, but mostly I don't understand "the I don't want to be told/informed thing"! There is no way any farrier(or person) can know all the rules for each breed or organization that all their clients show in, so as a farrier why not welcome a partnership? (ie - the vet even asks what you intend to do with said horse... = professional and owner exchange) And in my case my comments were notes directly from Woodside on vets letterhead! To me his "attitude" just showed a lack of knowledge and no partnership skills with client or vet really wanted. Which seems to be a trend locally.
I just want a Paul Goodness or a member of Woodside farrier team who will come to St. Mary's co. Do we really have to drive 2-4 hours each way to get knowledgable, reliable, and kind farriers who want to establish a professional working relationship? I hate to judge the whole barrel on the ones I have seen so if anyone knows a farrier who fits this ID and can take on clients please let our forum know. Until then I guess I will keep driving and praying!

Hey appaholic! Miss ya girl! :buddies: I have used Raymond Stauffer for years and he has done very well. He doesn't know it all, nor does he pretend to, but he listens to what your objective is, discusses ideas, offers solutions, and is very patient and works with the vet and owner. I absolutely adore Raymond, great person and wonderful farrier!

SugarNSpikes

Yes, they most certainly are. I use Pat Quinn and he's done an absolutely wonderful job. He's followed up with my vet when my horse went lame and had a foot problem and he keeps track of when my horse needs my feet done and calls to set up an appointment.

fredsaid2

Yes, they most certainly are. I use Pat Quinn and he's done an absolutely wonderful job. He's followed up with my vet when my horse went lame and had a foot problem and he keeps track of when my horse needs my feet done and calls to set up an appointment.

I'll do you one better...I always have my next appointment scheduled before my farrier leaves from the current appt. :smile:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
I have known and used Angus for MANY years. I would consider him one of the best in the area. For me personally he's never been slow or rough with my horses, but mine are all very well mannered.

It's not the farrier's job to teach your horse to stand.

In my experience, most farriers don't like being told what to do or how to do it. They are the professional. If you know as much, then you should shoe your own horse.

I've had bad experiences in the past with a different farrier. He and I just did not work out and that's fine, but I didn't blast his name and bad mouth him over the net. I even recommended that particular farrier to other friends that I thought he'd work well for and they are still happy with him.

To each his own, you can't please everybody.

I appreciate others experiences for horse services. Farriers with great knowledge can have bad days, I like to know about my options!