The "Fine People" Hoax Funnel

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Scott Adams ("Dilbert" comic) has written a very interesting essay on the "Fine People" hoax. It's a case study in how - faced with overwhelming evidence pointing to the error of one's belief - many (most) will refuse to accept the facts and cling to the error. Because "cognitive dissonance."*

Good stuff. Not TL;DR. Please click over; no snips because it's best to be read completely. If you read slowly (for whatever reason), time spent will be about 10 minutes.

Link: The “Fine People” Hoax Funnel

*In reading the post, one might be reminded of a loved one. Or a forum member. Or a loved one who's a forum member. Or not.

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When you present the debunking context to a believer in the hoax, they will NEVER say this: “Gee, I hadn’t seen the full quote. Now that I see it in its complete form, it is obvious to me that my long-held belief is 100% wrong and the media has been duping me.”

That doesn’t happen.

Reasonable person who actually listened to Trump make that comment, in context, would understand it and agree with him. Unfortunately, most people didn't watch and they let the hate-Trump media do their thinking for them, so they came away with this "Trump said KKK are fine people" false narrative.

That is what they want to believe, so they are happy to gobble up what the media feeds them without question and without verifying it for themselves. I have had this discussion with brainwashed progbots and even after I offer them the full clip, they either don't even watch it or maybe they do watch it and their brain isn't processing it because the belief is already cemented in there and nothing will remove it.

Gran, he admitted it.
Well, the Republicans made him say that....

They do this with the Billy Bush tape, too. "Trump ADMITTED that he regularly sexually assaults women!!!" It's crazy and just goes to show how easily led some people are, and what's more they WANT to be easily led and actively seek it out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Progressives DON'T CARE ABOUT THE TRUTH

It is all about hating The President

Exactly. Adams himself says that when you try to correct them and show them evidence, they just get angry and abusive. They want the truth to be that Trump is a racist misogynist blah blah blah, and that's that.

Clem72

Exactly. Adams himself says that when you try to correct them and show them evidence, they just get angry and abusive. They want the truth to be that Trump is a racist misogynist blah blah blah, and that's that.

Right? Why can't they accept that he is just a regular misogynist, not a racist one. ;)

transporter

Scott Adams ("Dilbert" comic) has written a very interesting essay on the "Fine People" hoax. It's a case study in how - faced with overwhelming evidence pointing to the error of one's belief - many (most) will refuse to accept the facts and cling to the error. Because "cognitive dissonance."*

Good stuff. Not TL;DR. Please click over; no snips because it's best to be read completely. If you read slowly (for whatever reason), time spent will be about 10 minutes.

Link: The “Fine People” Hoax Funnel

*In reading the post, one might be reminded of a loved one. Or a forum member. Or a loved one who's a forum member. Or not.

--- End of line (MCP)

That is a really neat piece of revisionist history.

Maybe you folks should go back and look at the title of the "rally", what groups had the permit (hint: it wasn't peaceful protesters out to save the statue of Robert E. Lee.)

Maybe you should also look at the entirety of Trump's statements on the incident? It took him days to come out and read a prepared statement (in his usual monotone uninterested tone) in which he ad libbed that "both sides" were to blame.

Maybe you should also go find the pictures of the private, peaceful alt-right protesters that Trump claims were the ones with the permits and the ones who actually attended the rally?

Yooper

Maybe you folks should go back and look at the title of the "rally", what groups had the permit (hint: it wasn't peaceful protesters out to save the statue of Robert E. Lee.)

Maybe you should also look at the entirety of Trump's statements on the incident? It took him days to come out and read a prepared statement (in his usual monotone uninterested tone) in which he ad libbed that "both sides" were to blame.

Maybe you should also go find the pictures of the private, peaceful alt-right protesters that Trump claims were the ones with the permits and the ones who actually attended the rally?
And we now see the hoax funnel in action.

Thank you for your help in making this teaching moment even more powerful. 👍

--- End of line (MCP)

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
And we now see the hoax funnel in action.

Thank you for your help in making this teaching moment even more powerful. 👍

--- End of line (MCP)
One can ALWAYS count on Tranny to be the example.

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

Yooper

I was betting on MR or TCrow, my bad. :(
Fair bet on the former. Don't find it to be the case with the latter.

Ooh, which of our resident bots is exploding? :rubshandstogether:

I'm surprised they're not all in here giving us a demonstration of the hoax funnel.
Thank you, Kyle, for the assist....

One can ALWAYS count on Tranny to be the example.

--- End of line (MCP)

BernieP

Resident PIA
Oh where to start.. I can be taken as a Trump critic, I will admit I voted for him, I would have probably voted for Satan over Hillary because Satan was at least honest about who he was / is.

I don't like everything Trump does eitther, I think it's a mistake to have the POTUS "tweeting" some of the crap he does, agree with him or not, it's not what a head of state does and can cause people around the world to hold their breath.

Don't like the way he's handled some of the people in his administration, based on the other side of the story, they all seem to have run afoul of his temper when they had to tell him what he wanted was just not within their (or his) power to do it legally. I don't think he was deliberatly asking them to break the law, he just wasn't aware of the limitations imposed by law. A lot of people, including presidents, have to be reminded by their advisors, so that's a non-issue. But he comes off lucking like a spoiled rich kid when he trash talks people he's "fired".

I think the critism of his personal life is hyporitical given that some of the members of congress used government funds to settle sexual harrassment suits. Members of congress and a few former persidents have been known to have extra marital affairs.

His statement post Charlottesville was ok, it takes two to fight and there were certainly people there on both sides who wanted a fight (can we say Antifa).
The "Unite the Right" rally did not have a permit, rather they had a judges order to hold their rally. The city had denied their request and they sued.
The counter demonstrators had a permit, just not for a rally in the same park. The justification given for them showing up is that "they didn't need a permit to go to a public space".
So Trump was correct and technically incorrect. The "counter protestors" choose to go head to head in with the Unite the Right rally. They had a permit to hold their rally else where but chose instead to go to the other park.

BOP

Your commitment to being wrong on 99.9% of everything is simply astounding.

Yooper

Here's an almost 7 minute Persicope by Scott Adams on what he thinks is the reason for some of his YouTube videos being demonitized.

Worth the (time to) listen; brings together a number of the issues we face today. If what Adams is saying is true, well..., just have a listen. It's an interesting A-B test.

--- End of line (MCP)