The flip side of the Gillette commercial

This_person

Time to buy a watch?

[video=youtube;x_HL0wiK4Zc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=114&v=x_HL0wiK4Zc[/video]

Reactions: BOP

This_person

How this watch company sees men vs. how Gillette sees them.

Powerful.

Let's be honest: here's how they BOTH see men

clipart0278.jpg

The difference is which type of man each is going after.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Now THAT is how you make a commercial with impact. Gillette needs to have their marketing geniuses watch that three or four times over before they fire them....if they have not fired them already.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The strong and degrading implication that the average man treats women improperly.

It's basically a "Deplorables" moment for Gillette.

Its' their right to target the millennial man-bun market if they so choose.

Chris0nllyn

The strong and degrading implication that the average man treats women improperly.

Or, it's a commercial telling men to behave better toward women and each other. What's the problwm with that?

I know I don't treat women improperly so I don't think pointing out to others to not do so is a bad thing, but hey, maybe some of you guys do.

I just think the right probably shouldn't act like it's a good idea to degrade or boycott a company that says that hurting others is a bad thing. The video/commercial in the OP cites stats to...I guess...point out that men aren't that bad because they have more dangerous jobs, die more in war, die more at the hands of others, get the shaft when it comes to child support, kill themselves at higher rates, are homeless at higher rates, and all those things are "the good in men". Um, what?

I guess Gillette could have cited stats that men beat each other up at higher rates, or that men commit more violence than women, or that sexual harassment is perpetrated moreso by men, and simply said that it's important that men have good role models but that would be a collectivist assumption. That all men are guilty of something, but the Gillette ad never did that. It never said masculinity as a whole is bad. It simply said to treat each other better to try and sell some ####ty razors and the right gets all bent out of shape as if that message is a bad thing.

If you (royal) feel like a razor commerical hits a little too close to home and that it's trying to make you out as an abuser, the commercial probably isn't the problem.

If you have to ask....you won't understand the answer

Oh is that how it works? People are just supposed to figure out what other people are thinking through, what, osmosis?

MiddleGround

Or, it's a commercial telling men to behave better toward women and each other. What's the problwm with that?

I know I don't treat women improperly so I don't think pointing out to others to not do so is a bad thing, but hey, maybe some of you guys do.

I just think the right probably shouldn't act like it's a good idea to degrade or boycott a company that says that hurting others is a bad thing.

So, what do you think about this idea...

A commercial for Weight Watchers that basically shows a slim trim 20 y.o. guy sitting on the couch looking very unhappy. Enter into the room.. his GF/wife who appears to be about 5' 5" and 250 lbs just screaming at him. Cut scene to his inner thoughts "I bet she wouldn't be as mad if she joined WW and lost some weight!"

Cut to him walking with her into the first meeting and basically handing her off to the WW coach... with a smile on his face.

Now.. neither I nor my GF are overweight so.... pointing out that others are isn't a bad thing... right? Should we NOT denegrate or boycott WW if they put out an ad like that?

What's the problem? :shrug:

Chris0nllyn

So, what do you think about this idea...

A commercial for Weight Watchers that basically shows a slim trim 20 y.o. guy sitting on the couch looking very unhappy. Enter into the room.. his GF/wife who appears to be about 5' 5" and 250 lbs just screaming at him. Cut scene to his inner thoughts "I bet she wouldn't be as mad if she joined WW and lost some weight!"

Cut to him walking with her into the first meeting and basically handing her off to the WW coach... with a smile on his face.

Now.. neither I nor my GF are overweight so.... pointing out that others are isn't a bad thing... right? Should we NOT denegrate or boycott WW if they put out an ad like that?

What's the problem? :shrug:

You'll be hard-pressed to get me to say or do anytihing about an ad put out by a private company. I've never, ever, come out and said people don't have the absolute right to talk with their wallets. Everyone is more than welcome to buy what they want and to give a comapny they disagree with money.

If a commercial came out like that, I wouldn't care either. If someone is overweight, that's unhealthy and I see no problem in pointing that out. I think we've gone too far with this body positivity thing and it's one thing to say "be happy with your body" it's another to say "you're morbidly obese, but that's okay!".

I'm sure the Gillette ad didn't go like that though. Based on how the Gillette ad went, I think your hypothetical commercial would be more like:
A commercial for Weight Watchers that basically shows a slim trim 20 y.o. guy sitting on the couch looking very unhappy. Enter into the room.. his GF/wife who appears to be about 5' 5" and 250 lbs just screaming at him. Cut scene to him hanging out with his buddies watching football and saying"I bet she wouldn't be as mad if she joined WW and lost some weight!"

Then, one of his buddies steps in and says, "why do you say things like that, that's not nice".

Cut to him walking with her into the first meeting and working out with his GF/wife while building a deeper relationship... with a smile on his face.

What's the problem?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

I just think the right probably shouldn't act like it's a good idea to degrade or boycott a company that says that hurting others is a bad thing. The video/commercial in the OP cites stats to...I guess...point out that men aren't that bad because they have more dangerous jobs, die more in war, die more at the hands of others, get the shaft when it comes to child support, kill themselves at higher rates, are homeless at higher rates, and all those things are "the good in men". Um, what?

I guess Gillette could have cited stats that men beat each other up at higher rates, or that men commit more violence than women, or that sexual harassment is perpetrated moreso by men, and simply said that it's important that men have good role models but that would be a collectivist assumption. That all men are guilty of something, but the Gillette ad never did that. It never said masculinity as a whole is bad. It simply said to treat each other better to try and sell some ####ty razors and the right gets all bent out of shape as if that message is a bad thing.

If you (royal) feel like a razor commerical hits a little too close to home and that it's trying to make you out as an abuser, the commercial probably isn't the problem.

Oh is that how it works? People are just supposed to figure out what other people are thinking through, what, osmosis?

OK I'll try. Its that new "toxic masculinity" BS. They want to pus,,fy all of us and our sons and grandsons. Its right up there with "white privilege". Men have dominated society from the gitgo, with woman's permission of course.
Now we are suppose to be sensitive, wear man buns, understand why a man wants gay sex and wants his testicle mutilated so he can dress like a woman, cuddle, not fight on the playground, do not want women fighting in combat and forget everything about hunting and fishing.
Maybe along with circumcision we just start castrating every 3rd male born at the local hospital.

I think if they had their way they just castrate all of us and use sperm banks.

But, from my short time on this planet I have found that women want real men, not macho wife beaters and sexual harassers, but manly men who open doors, buy flowers and try to seduce them in a sensitive way, want to pay for dinner, who would stand up for them if some person was bothering them, male or female. No pro forma agreement for sex needed. Men who are not out there looking for free chit. We payed for our college, we pay for our health care, we pay our taxes and don't make excuses when we are wrong or fail and we go to work every day.

I could go on but you should get my drift. If you don't I refer to my earlier post.

Chris0nllyn

OK I'll try. Its that new "toxic masculinity" BS. They want to pus,,fy all of us and our sons and grandsons. Its right up there with "white privilege". Men have dominated society from the gitgo, with woman's permission of course.
Now we are suppose to be sensitive, wear man buns, understand why a man wants gay sex and wants his testicle mutilated so he can dress like a woman, cuddle, not fight on the playground, do not want women fighting in combat and forget everything about hunting and fishing.
Maybe along with circumcision we just start castrating every 3rd male born at the local hospital.

I think if they had their way they just castrate all of us and use sperm banks.

But, from my short time on this planet I have found that women want real men, not macho wife beaters and sexual harassers, but manly men who open doors, buy flowers and try to seduce them in a sensitive way, want to pay for dinner, who would stand up for them if some person was bothering them, male or female. No pro forma agreement for sex needed. Men who are not out there looking for free chit. We payed for our college, we pay for our health care, we pay our taxes and don't make excuses when we are wrong or fail and we go to work every day.

I could go on but you should get my drift. If you don't I refer to my earlier post.

"Toxity masculinity" is simpyl some ill-defined term made up by the left. Just like "assault rifle", "white hispanic", and whatever dumb ass terms they come up with.

How did the ad portray pussifying anything? Do you think raising kids to sexually harass women, beat each other up, harass on social media, and all the other things the commerical did include is okay? Because that's all the ad is saying, don't be a massive dick.

Do you really want to make it seem as if the right is the side that believes that not bullying each other, not sexually harassing women, and not committing violence are the traits of the left? Or are you just a part of one side of the constantly outraged sides of the political spectrum that took an inoffensive message and turn it into some leftist manifesto? The Gillette ad is backing and promoting the same exact values you mention in the third paragraph. Don't beat women, stand up for others, etc. What is the problem with that message?

Women do want real men (I think I saw a poll that 65% of women disagree with the ad) and you shouldn't let a commercial dictate societal trends or needs because I can't think of where you'd get the idea that men these days aren't paying for dinner, or paying taxes, or paying for college, etc. and it seems you're conflating your disdain for youth with some perceived message from Gillette.