The Food Pyramid Is Wrong?

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
This is really interesting. I'd be curious as to others' opinions.

Here's a snip to - sorry - whet the appetite:
In the run-up to the guidelines, a few researchers questioned the underlying science. Philip Handler, president of the National Academy of Sciences, asked McGovern in 1977, “What right has the federal government to propose that the American people conduct a vast nutritional experiment, with themselves as subjects, on the strength of so very little evidence that it will do them any good?”

But the skeptics were drowned out and left stranded without research money or institutional support, and clinicians who tried a different approach, such as Dr. Robert Atkins, were traduced viciously. A huge body of respectable clinical observations that contradicted the guidelines — see, for example, “Treating Overweight Patients” from a premier medical journal in 1957 — went down the memory hole. Also unnoticed was the similarity between the guidelines and the recommendations in a 1930 Oregon pamphlet on “Fattening Pigs for Market.”

My sense (in dealing with weight loss/gain) is that there may be something to this. Regardless, agree or not, I think it is very much worth the click-over. So, yes, highly recommended. (About 10 minutes reading time.)

--- End of line (MCP)

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Doesn't matter what geometrical shape it's in, food is food. Everything in moderation.